Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Default Home & Park Roadtrek ?

Hi all, we are shopping for a used class b. I like the Chevy platform and the Roadtreks seem to be the most plentiful.
On occasion I see one advertised as a “Home & Park” model. Does this mean anything in particular? I have tried to search the internet & even asked the person advertising one, but I haven’t found an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pat
Murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Home & Park Vehicles converted a van for Jac Hanemaayer who went on to purchase the business. I think it became Home & Park Motorhomes then.

https://familyrvingmag.com/2006/07/0...rk-motorhomes/

Quote:
in 1981 all of that changed. That year Jac totally redesigned the product and took his newly created Roadtrek Motorhome Van to the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) trade show, and the reception was astounding.
Industrial Opportunity Partners acquired Roadtrek in 2011. Roadtrek was sold to Erwin Hymer Group North America in 2016.

The Roadtrek brand was acquired by Groupe Rapido in 2019.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Home & Park Vehicles converted a van for Jac Hanemaayer who went on to purchase the business. I think it became Home & Park Motorhomes then.

https://familyrvingmag.com/2006/07/0...rk-motorhomes/

Industrial Opportunity Partners acquired Roadtrek in 2011. Roadtrek was sold to Erwin Hymer Group North America in 2016.

The Roadtrek brand was acquired by Groupe Rapido in 2019.

Thank you markopolo! I should have mentioned that I had found that searching earlier.

So there has never been a Home & Park model of a Roadtrek motor home. It seems odd that people use that name in advertisements.

Thanks again for your help!
Pat
Old 05-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
So there has never been a Home & Park model of a Roadtrek motor home. It seems odd that people use that name in advertisements.
Pat
Home and Park was on the back of my 2003 Roadtrek so, yes, there was a Home and Park Roadtrek.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Home and Park was on the back of my 2003 Roadtrek so, yes, there was a Home and Park Roadtrek.

Ours said Roadtrek by Home and Park in 2007.

I think if you go way back to the very first production they may have not carried the Roadtrek name, only Home and Park and probably a model of the conversion. I seem to remember seeing on on ebay quite a while ago.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #6

Default Home & Park Roadtrek ?

OK, thanks! Kinda confusing to me . There is no specific floor plan or option set that is consisted a “Home & Park, correct?

Thanks again
Pat
Old 05-05-2020, 10:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

End the confusion, just go here

https://www.roadtrek.com/brochures/

and you can look at brochures back to 1978
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:33 AM   #8

Thank you!
Old 05-06-2020, 01:25 AM   #9
Platinum Member

The Chev is a good choice the 6.0 is well sized to the weight of these vans and many get 15 mpg, easily fixed by anyone, anywhere without waiting for parts

in general RT Popular models sleep fore/aft

Versatile models sleeps sideway...how tall are you?

most have the galley on the drivers side, the head on the pass

RT's can have 3 or 4 seats

those seats if needed, awesome- if not, that means everything else is crowded, cabinetry tends to be both sides , top to bottom, maybe overhanging the bed

I have a PleasureWay Lexor TD ( 2006) it has the largest bed I could find on a chev 3500. only the 2 seat up front ( which swivel) less cabinetry on the walls and a more open feeling
the galley on the pass side so the "chef" has contact with the "waiter" through the open side door

best to do is look around, kick some tires and try to envision how each type layout would work for you

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:38 AM   #10

Thank you for the advice mike. Very helpful!

Pat
Old 05-06-2020, 02:02 AM   #11
Platinum Member

off top of my head the

RT 170 models are short wheelbase

190 models are the long WB

the 210 models are long wheels base widebodies- more space and little down on the MPG

I shopped ALOT before buying

other contenders were the VW Rialta ( which has 4 different floorplans) a Leisuretravel and Chinook

I decided to pass on diesels and am not big on the ford- I have chevs so already the tools, manuals and familiarity with the layout of the mechanics

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #12
Gold Member

I suggest you decide on a budget first and then start looking for your Roadtrek. I took my 2006 190 P to Yellowstone last year, and had no problem parking with the mass crowds.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:39 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Thank you for the advice mike. Very helpful!

Pat
Adding to Mike, I have a Pleasure-way Lexor TS 08, same Chevy etc. A huge benefit, and I didn't realize it at the time (Bought it used, so configuration wasn't a big concern) The Lexor has an aisle bathroom set up. 1-More leg room when using the toilet, about the same as a residential powder room. 2-You take a shower in the aisle, so you're standing up and have plenty of room. 3-Thanks to the pocket doors, you can open the front one and no need to draw the curtains for privacy. 4-On extremely hot days, you can also use the pocket doors to keep the roof A/C in the back. Literally a 15 degree difference between the back and front. On that same note, the 04-09 models have the furnace towards the back. At night, with the pocket door blocking the front, it stays warmer and less propane & 12v juice used. 5-With rear pocket door open, it feels like two rooms. So if someone is sleeping in the back, you can go about your normal morning routine. Coffee in the galley, take a dump (LOL) read, eat get on your laptop sitting in the front seats.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 AM   #14
Platinum Member

If for no reason other than comparison, step out of your box and try to check out a diesel sprinter. We bought a 2006 2 years ago and love it. 22 MPG. 18 when pulling a toad. When you look in the NADA, it says "for diesels, do not apply any mileage deduction."
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:09 AM   #15
Platinum Member

One thing about all those cabinets in a Roadtrek is they give you lots of storage. Our 2007 RT 210P has 81 cubic feet of total storage space. That includes an armoire insted of a third seat.

We have the twin beds in ours and ordered that way as opposed to the couch across the back that converts into a bed. We did that because of our previous twin bed experience with our 1996 RT 190P. You have a ton of storage underneath the beds with the fixed twins, including a whole lot accessible from the back doors. We boondock and sometimes stay in one spot for a couple of weeks and we can get all our camping gear into the RT. Actually, it has more storage space than most 24-26 foot Class Cs. At least, having owned both Cs and Bs, that is our opinion.

We like our wet bath and aisle shower combo. I will say that a 190 is much easier for me to park compared to a 210. That extra bit of length and seven inches of width on the side flares doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference parking. For most one or two people I would think a 190 would be preferable. my wife would not agree because she loves our larger (five cubic foot) refrig.

We bought our 2007 new and have it now. That says something I suppose as to how much we like it.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:04 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
One thing about all those cabinets in a Roadtrek is they give you lots of storage. Our 2007 RT 210P has 81 cubic feet of total storage space. That includes an armoire insted of a third seat.

We have the twin beds in ours and ordered that way as opposed to the couch across the back that converts into a bed. We did that because of our previous twin bed experience with our 1996 RT 190P. You have a ton of storage underneath the beds with the fixed twins, including a whole lot accessible from the back doors. We boondock and sometimes stay in one spot for a couple of weeks and we can get all our camping gear into the RT. Actually, it has more storage space than most 24-26 foot Class Cs. At least, having owned both Cs and Bs, that is our opinion.

We like our wet bath and aisle shower combo. I will say that a 190 is much easier for me to park compared to a 210. That extra bit of length and seven inches of width on the side flares doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference parking. For most one or two people I would think a 190 would be preferable. my wife would not agree because she loves our larger (five cubic foot) refrig.

We bought our 2007 new and have it now. That says something I suppose as to how much we like it.
We also love our 2006 210P. Wife had to have the enclosed bath and big fridge. That extra bit of width and room inside makes it a bit more tolerable when cooped up when it rains. Yes, it can be tough to park.

Finding your B is a balancing act. Find the best compromise of the features you: 1. must have, 2. nice to have, 3. can tolerate
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:20 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Diesel WAS the way to go. I’m on 4 different forums/Facebook and read nothing but problems with the newer ones. Regarding mikes, my Chevy Express 3500 will last 300k. Workhorse Cargo Van. All JMHO
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #18

Home and Park is on the back of my 2002 Roadtrek.
calamityannie is offline   Reply With Quote