Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 02:44 AM   #1

Default Hot water heater problem

Roadtrek 2006 Adventurous
Newbie...
Just got her and I’ve got a strange problem.
When I hook into house current my hot water heater hisses.
The water heater propane switch is in the off position and I’m still getting hot water just sitting there plugged in.
The hissing sound is definitely coming from the hot water pump.
Is this normal?
I have no idea what the problem is or if there is a problem.
The person I bought it from didn’t think the water heater was electric/propane but wasn’t sure.
Can anyone help?
LuckyAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hissing could be coming from the electric heating rod inside the hot water heater. If this hot water tank is not full this hiss could be from steam generation on the upper portion for the electric heater.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:57 AM   #3

Thank you for your response. So would that indicate that I have an electric/propane water heater and not just a propane one? And is this sound reason for concern?
And how can I fix it?
LuckyAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:01 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyAmbrose View Post
Thank you for your response. So would that indicate that I have an electric/propane water heater and not just a propane one? And is this sound reason for concern?
Most LP heaters have about 750W heater built in. If you are plugin to shore power you don't need to fire LP to heat water. There should be a switch somewhere for this heater.

No reason for concern, it is the benefit of having a choice. For long showers LP would give you long water run, 750W is not much.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:56 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyAmbrose View Post
And how can I fix it?

Welcome to the forum LuckyAmbrose!

My water heater is a Suburban with both gas and electric element. The propane switch is inside, but the electric switch is inconveniently located outside on the heater. Add to that the switch is buried nearly out of sight and is down for "ON" and up for "OFF" (backward from what you'd expect).

Edit: Just FYI, my switch failed in the "OFF" position. It's not that uncommon that they fail (mine was 8 yrs. old), but I guess it's possible for them to fail in the "ON" position as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suburban-Wa...MAAOSwGYVXB91k
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post

Welcome to the forum LuckyAmbrose!

My water heater is a Suburban with both gas and electric element. The propane switch is inside, but the electric switch is inconveniently located outside on the heater. Add to that the switch is buried nearly out of sight and is down for "ON" and up for "OFF" (backward from what you'd expect).

Edit: Just FYI, my switch failed in the "OFF" position. It's not that uncommon that they fail (mine was 8 yrs. old), but I guess it's possible for them to fail in the "ON" position as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suburban-Wa...MAAOSwGYVXB91k
Several years ago I finally got around to trying out the electric capability. The switch was stuck off. Thought I would replace it, but sprayed it with wd 40 or something several times. Given some time it became unstuck and a happy switch. Sure is convenient to push a propane switch inside the B though.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadtrek adventurous, water heater