Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 10:44 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default How are your dogs doing with Class B?

We love our class B Lexor TS!

Now we want to add a new dog to the family, and want to go with a larger breed. We are considering a German Shepherd but wonder if one could turn around inside the van, they are sort of long bodied.

How are your dogs handling Class B life?

P.S. We use the Lexor right now as a daily driver (although we don't go out daily, lol). It's just the safest way to go anywhere right now. So, the dog would be riding in it with us, and maybe weekend outings.
B2Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I highly recommend this product just in case your dog/s are inside the van for but a moment.

Bluetooth info instantly along with historical data of Temperature & Humidity.

www.sensorpush.com

I purchased my first unit for understanding what is going on behind the fridge door without having to open it but now have four of them (they sent an extra unit by mistake).
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here is a couple of screenshots of my units, I have four units so the first two photos are needed to capture all the page.

The third photo is an hourly report of what is happening, inside my fridge.

What is really exciting when the Drivers Seat Zone hits temps like 121% on Saturday, even with the Fantastic Fan running but the windows not cracked, the Rear area was around 80% with fans & inside the Fridge, 29-31%.

Amazing!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Our 70 lb. standard poodle Typhoon (aka "TY the Wonder Dog") can turn around most anywhere in our "b". A big considration is that he doesn't shed like most dog breeds. Plus, we didn't start traveling with him until he was a mellow 10 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8777.JPG (359.0 KB, 16 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Thank you for the thought. We have not left our dog in the van when it is hot even with the windows open and the fantastic fan running. I'm going to check this out though, thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I highly recommend this product just in case your dog/s are inside the van for but a moment.

Bluetooth info instantly along with historical data of Temperature & Humidity.

www.sensorpush.com

I purchased my first unit for understanding what is going on behind the fridge door without having to open it but now have four of them (they sent an extra unit by mistake).
Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
Bronze Member

LOL, well we've heard about just how smart those standard poodles are! Yes, we'll definitely be on the lookout for a happy traveler. Sigh, I know, we've had a Boston Terrier which was a great size for travel. The Promaster even has a cup holder down low in front that serves as her water cup. I'll have to teach a German Shepherd how to drink out of a straw in order to put in a larger cup there!

How is the poodle as a watch dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Our 70 lb. standard poodle Typhoon (aka "TY the Wonder Dog") can turn around most anywhere in our "b". A big considration is that he doesn't shed like most dog breeds. Plus, we didn't start traveling with him until he was a mellow 10 years old.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:16 PM   #7
Bronze Member

How does your Class B communicate to the internet when you are out of range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Here is a couple of screenshots of my units, I have four units so the first two photos are needed to capture all the page.

The third photo is an hourly report of what is happening, inside my fridge.

What is really exciting when the Drivers Seat Zone hits temps like 121% on Saturday, even with the Fantastic Fan running but the windows not cracked, the Rear area was around 80% with fans & inside the Fridge, 29-31%.

Amazing!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Play View Post
How does your Class B communicate to the internet when you are out of range?
Great question answered by the sensorpush.com site who if you are traveling with a dog/s, you will find the justification for adding the wifi link apparatus which is an added expense but will give you that peace of mind, even if you have a rig whom whose thermostats can turn on & off your ac when needed.

Otherwise its bluetooth range.

But its a wake up call when you can come back & collect data on temperatures like 120% in the front of the cab.

Or via a WiFi link.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:42 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Here is an excellent blog that answers specifically the value of a such devices in an RV.

Its really well written & simple, easy to understand:

[url]https://faroutride.com/sensorpush-review/[/url]

From a medical professional's perspective, you have to think of time inside your RV as akin to being in a Test Tube even when you open the windows or have the fan going, especially in the colder, wetter months when keeping warm means being closed inside.

This was all before Covid.

Now Covid raises the potentiality of common colds & sniffles etc becoming something much more serious.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

For me, one Sensorpush was enough for my PTSD* but I also wanted to measure the Temperatures in the fan itself, outside of the Fridge.

*for 9 years, I was tortured 6-9 months a year, by a Dometic RM2354 3 Way Fridge. I

I got rid of the 3 way fridge the day my Sensorpush arrived & I had the DC Fridge installed.

I will recoup the cost of the new Fridge within 18 months just though not having to discard food, let alone the anger of discovering my perishable food was precooked by the fridge whenever I was parked in the sun, 98.37% perfectly level, hand waving a fan over the unit.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:36 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Our Dog is a 65# siberian/lab mix- & loves our van- her bed is between the seats, I store the reflectix window covers under the bed which protects her from heat from the drivetrain ( Lexor TD on a Chev)

she spends much time lolling on the bed while we drive and sometimes will snag the pass seat

Her dishes are on a doormat with a raised lip to catch any sloshes from the water

we don;t leave her unattended in the van
we live in PHX where that is a bad idea in any vehicle , so we plan than way

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:50 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Mine's a 50-pound Saluki mix, rather long in the body. It took her several trips to warm up to it, but she's been fine ever since. She is about to embark on her sixth six-thousand-mile round trip across continent.

One thing that vastly increased her quality of life: A fitted bed in the passenger footwell. I experimented with a number of designs before settling on this. You can see that it basically fits a 2' x 3' standard crate pad. We had to carefully craft a high-quality plywood platform to conform to this area to underpin the pad. Even if I travel with my husband in the passenger seat, upon arriving at the destination, we swivel the seat and set this up for her for the night, so that we won't be stepping over her on the floor.

Beauty shot from several years ago. She doesn't look very Saluki she is smiling rather than wearing that characteristic doe-eyed expression that they have. But she's a mix.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:27 AM   #13
Bronze Member

Thank you, that looks like a great setup and she looks quite comfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Mine's a 50-pound Saluki mix, rather long in the body. It took her several trips to warm up to it, but she's been fine ever since. She is about to embark on her sixth six-thousand-mile round trip across continent.

One thing that vastly increased her quality of life: A fitted bed in the passenger footwell. I experimented with a number of designs before settling on this. You can see that it basically fits a 2' x 3' standard crate pad. We had to carefully craft a high-quality plywood platform to conform to this area to underpin the pad. Even if I travel with my husband in the passenger seat, upon arriving at the destination, we swivel the seat and set this up for her for the night, so that we won't be stepping over her on the floor.

Beauty shot from several years ago. She doesn't look very Saluki she is smiling rather than wearing that characteristic doe-eyed expression that they have. But she's a mix.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:45 AM   #14
Platinum Member

A Beautiful Dog & as always, Custom Craftsmanship on your end!
Old 08-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #15
Silver Member

More poodles riding comfortably ... they chill between the front seats most of the time, although they do have secured crates in the back. They really prefer to be up with the humans.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Its not just Dogs that are in on the Van Life.

My Cat Banboo was with me most days & nights for 18 months until I had to give her away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171130_132104.jpg (167.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20171127_141112.jpg (204.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2Play View Post
How is the poodle as a watch dog?
Dog personalites are as varied as people. Our prior standard poodle was the "alpha" and took it as his responsibilty to protect his owners, yard, and home. Ty came to us later and is definitely a "beta". He joined his older brother in barking and other alerts while they were together. After his older brother passed away, we discovered he only did this because he thought he was expected to join in. Now, however, we find his true personality is as mellow as they come. His idea of protection is to hide behind us until trouble is gone.

This actually makes him a great travel dog (his older brother would have been a nightmare). Ty doesn't look for trouble, is prepared to have strangers pet him (in pre-Covid times), but can take it or leave it. He totally ignores other dogs. His goal is to be with us and that's all it takes to make him happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8558 Large e-mail view.jpg (76.1 KB, 16 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:36 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

Tana, our ~90lb Malamute does great in our van. She sleeps on the bed with us. She has never been left alone in Annie, and never will be. If she's inside, so are we.

And if we're outside, so is she
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Great photos!
Old 08-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #20
Silver Member

As I await delivery of my Ascent and become a full-timer, one of the biggest logistical concerns I have is leaving my 40 pound blue heeler in the van by herself. Actually, my concern isn’t so much about her, but her ability to destroy the interior of my new rig while I am away!

Do any of you crate your dog? I currently use a 36” wire crate that is heavy and will take up precious space.

I can mitigate the risk by working on her separation anxiety, exercising her, and keeping her under surveillance, but if she decides my sofa is an oversized chew toy, she would make very quick work of it.

I may just downsize her crate to a 30” crate for the times I need to leave her alone. Hey, if I’m downsizing, she can too!

Anyone have any confinement tips for a small Class B?

This article has given me nightmares:

https://www.wbrz.com/news/photos-mis...ners-are-away/