Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How did you pick a name for your rig?

Just a bit of fluff for the new year...

If you named your rig, what do you call it and why do you call it that?

Bonus points: Was it more- or less- difficult than naming your first born? Then, once you named it, do you actually call it by that name or did you just revert to calling it "the van," "the RV," the "Roadtrek," "the Dodge," etc."?

Did you and your Significant Other have different ideas for names or did one of you just shake your head in bewilderment and say, "I don't care, really; you can name it whatever you want."?

Just wondering if this is a strong tradition, like naming a boat, or if it's only some people who do it. If you named it, does that change the way you feel about it?

Not a heavy fix-it thread for the forum - just a little bit of fun during the holidays.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Every Advanced RV gets a name picked by its owner. Advanced RV tracks it that way in its production schedule.

I picked Alvar for the 20th century Finnish architect, Alvar Aalto and it is explained in my Advancing Alvar thread here. My wife conceded to my naming it but she didn't concede to naming our son or suggesting the name for our two grandsons.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It seemed as though every time I thought of a name I liked , some one else on facebook or youtube was already using the name for their rv, and of course we all want something unique and one of a kind, so it took a while, but after driving it for a while and figuring out all about it, we came up with a name we liked and stuck with it,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Ours is called "The Sprinter". Our conversations with ARV ended when they said we would have to pick a name.

Just kidding--ARV is great.

But, the idea of naming a mostly-mass-produced machine has always seemed bizarre to us. The tradition of naming ships started ages ago, when each one was sui generis.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
. Our conversations with ARV ended when they said we would have to pick a name.
Just kidding--ARV is great.

Edited to appease davydd AKA "the editor"

But, the idea of naming a mostly-mass-produced machine has always seemed bizarre to us. The tradition of naming ships started ages ago, when each one was sui generis.
That is us, also. The only vehicle "names" have been, often derogatory, and by others, for our "eclectic" taste in transportation.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That is us, also.
You named yours "The Sprinter" as well.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
It seemed as though every time I thought of a name I liked , some one else on facebook or youtube was already using the name for their rv, and of course we all want something unique and one of a kind, so it took a while, but after driving it for a while and figuring out all about it, we came up with a name we liked and stuck with it,,
What is it?
Old 12-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Gold Member

I apologize in advance 'cause this is a bit long winded.
My wife and I bought our 1999 Xplorer 230 xlwt (Dodge chassis) in august of 2014. Our major reason was a "return" trip to Alaska - we had made the trip in 1990 and thought a 25 year reunion (well, actually 24 years) would be fun.
We left for Alaska about 1 week after taking possession and had never been in a Class B before. We took it to a Dodge dealer and had all service done & everything checked out - it only had 40k miles on it and all systems seemed good after we had new ball joints, tie rod ends, and shocks installed. All systems "go".
The first day (a Friday) the air conditioning quit for about an hour and then it magically came back on. The first night camping I managed to get a doozy of a headache from banging my head on things. The bed was too small and I didn't sleep well at all.
The 2nd day (Saturday) a check engine light came on we finally found an auto parts store that could scan it and found it had to do with the vapor recovery system and was not 'life threatening' to our engine so we kept going. Later that day we ran into severe smoke from forest fires in the area and were quite miserable. That night we noticed the engine was running weird and seemed like something was really wrong. The next morning (after another night of almost no sleep and more banged heads) we decided that the universe was trying to tell us something so we headed home. Got about 150 miles towards home when the steering went weird and the brakes stared pulling severely to the right. We stopped at a rest stop and found that some of the front suspension bolts had worked loose (presumably from the re-build before we left home).
So, here we were about 1000 miles from home..... Monday we crawled into a town and found the only shop was booked up all week and we would have to wait. I went to an auto parts store and bough some very large wrenches to at least tighten the loose bolts even thought the alignment was way off. And we slowly limped home - one of the most miserable drives of our lives, but we made it. The next day I took it back to the shop that did the suspension rebuild and had them re-set the alignment and tighten everything. Our plan was to sell the POS as soon as possible. and that is when we started calling it "The Beast" (there was actually another word in there between the and beast).
We parked it and spent the rest of my vacation in a cabin in Montana - basically just left the van sitting and after a few weeks we decided we needed to 'give it another try'.
I bought a bunch of the soft foam padding that people use to child proof coffee tables and such for infants - I stuck that stuff everywhere, on every thing I thought we could conceivable bump with our heads. Bought a 3" memory foam mattress toper. and tried a weekend near home. It went great and we slowly got used to the small world inside a class B. We now love it and a year later we took our trip north (which was actually the 25 year anniversary of our first trip) and had a great time.
The name, however, stuck and now when we call it 'the beast' it's actually a term of endearment - we are planning to retire in 4 years when I hit 70 and we plan on seeing the USA & Canada in the BEAST.
Dave & Judy
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Team

That will teach you to try to cheat by a year.

Great story (well, for us). Thanks!
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Pam and I had never owned an RV nor camped so it was a surprise to both of us when we (eventually) concurred that getting an RV would be a good idea. (Thank you, Badlands NP). Imagine that -- Mike and Pam with an RV!? Well, that's the name we chose and we refer to it as either "Imagine" or "The Coach" most of the time.

Mike
Old 12-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Bronze Member

We named our Sprinter Tallac, after a mountain peak near lake Tahoe, which overlooks the Fallen Lake campground where we have been spending a few days every year since 1982, first tent-camping, later minivan camping and finally--since 2006-- in our Sprinter ( high roof...high peak )
Old 12-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Voila

My daughter asked, well Dad, what is the progress on the Sprinter, well, here it is - voilà, so it became Voilà.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRE13302.jpg (207.3 KB, 20 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
Platinum Member

We named our Sprinter (a Road Trek Agile) "Auggie" sort of a play on the town where we got engaged (Ogunquit, Maine). He is more a friend or member of the family than just a van.

Note, the naming of vehicles started with our MINI's we have owned... both of them had names Marvin and Sammy. They had unique personalities so it made sense to name them and it sort of carried over to the van. All our vehicles before that were never named.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #14
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Every Advanced RV gets a name picked by its owner. Advanced RV tracks it that way in its production schedule.

I picked Alvar for the 20th century Finnish architect, Alvar Aalto and it is explained in my Advancing Alvar thread here. My wife conceded to my naming it but she didn't concede to naming our son or suggesting the name for our two grandsons.
Suggestion -- add the thread URL to your signature for easy reference
Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #15

Default New baby

We just got a '17 Era 70A in mid Nov. We are hopefully getting a vanity plate "HYOSLVR"

It's silver, of course.... and it's to "go"! We'll probably refer to the rig as "Silver".... right now it's been the Rig.
gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:36 PM   #16

Default Rosalita Roadtrek!

On the way to pick up our Roadtrek, we were convinced we'd call it Rudy (for one of my favorite movies).

Then as soon as I connected the Bluetooth, Bruce Springsteen came blasting through the speakers. The very first song was Rosalita!

Easy...Rosalita Roadtrek!
femike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #17

Default AFLO

We sailed our boat from Toronto to the Caribbean, lived aboard and island hopped for 10 years. Although we were experienced sailors we were continually learning new things. We have since sold the boat and recently purchased our RV.
The name AFLO, an acronym for Another Fricking Learning Opportunity seemed appropriate.
Exsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 AM   #18

Smile How did I choose the name for my Road Trek Etrek

Hi
I have had 13 foot Scamp...Lady Bug
Conversion Van. (Bronze Beauty) This one is 2014 Road Trek.... Etrek. A dream come true. Don't pinch me I do not want to wake up from this dream. LOL
She is a lovely silver color. My first thought, when I saw her...My silver chariot awaits me. LOL
Hence her name Silver Chariot...
This weekend is my first adventure in her. (just bought her) I will be learning as I go. This is more high tech than any camper I've ever owned. I can't wait to get aquainted.
I'm Terri from Pensacola FL.
Thanks for letting me join up.
kyrain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 AM   #19

Default How did you pick a name for your rig?

Our Rialta was named Ramona. We still refer to her as that after selling her 4 years ago. Our vanagon is Charlotte. Don't seem to call her that much. We just say " the van". Now we're selling her for a Leisure Travel Van which we have on order. We've already named her Luna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
colleen_easley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #20

Default Name of rv

I named mine Vango ll, because i paint and it's a van and I go out to paint and camp. I had one before so this is number two. Also because of the artist VANGO.
webminer2 is offline   Reply With Quote