Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Having a DIY Class B has added a lot to our vacationing over the past 6 years, plus...

- we've used the van as a "mobile dining room" since Covid. Our favorite restaurants have curbside (still do), so we order on the road and they deliver to the parking lot.
There's nothing better than a streaming hot pizza from Pepe's in New Haven. Just isn't the same once it cools down. Nice lighting, a comfortable Lagun table between our twin couches, music, and cold drinks from the fridge, and a clean, private toilet, and we're more comfortable than in a restaurant!

- add to that, the trips to lots of great places and some really nice campgrounds! All the conveniences of an RV (minus a lot of the "includeds" that we didn't want in a commercial one), and we enjoy being on the road.

- a 20' Class B is more flexible than a bigger C or A for going to the places we're interested in visiting, and we sometimes do a night in a hotel along the way.

- at home, it's handy for local events with a place to relax and have lunch on a long day, plus it's great for transporting everything from sheets of plywood to furniture purchases!

- not my daily driver, but there when we want it...and great mileage compared to a Class A or C.

ps. Turning radius? our Promaster makes U Turns I wouldn't even consider in my cars!
Old 08-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #22
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimps@aol.com View Post

Do you travel like me?
Primarily, for church work travel (evangelism trips, conventions, etc.)

Do you think the B is too small?
For me, no, but when my wife is traveling with me, yes.

Would you rather have a larger B?
No, we have one slightly over 20' and it parks within a standard parking space.

Do you want to buy a truck and tow a trailer?
No

Do you want to buy a Class A and tow a car?
Been there, done that.

Do you boondock?
Yes, traveling to a destination. Could be urban, suburban like parking lots, or rural.
Ray Brown
2012 Pleasure-Way Plateau
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #23
Silver Member

Quote:
Hello Class B forum members,

I have a few questions for you members:

First of all, we are 72 and own an Airstream Interstate 19, which is only 19.5 feet long. I just returned from a 5 week and 6,000 mile trip from the east coast, through Wisconsin, Michigan, Texas, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, and back to Delaware. We slept in the van most of the trip, at state and private campgrounds, due to COVID, but also spent some nights in hotels. The rv is compact but it gets about 19 miles per gallon. We enjoyed the journey.

Many you tube videos stress bigger rvs are better than class b rvs. Well, we enjoy touring the towns and really consider the rv to be a travel vehicle with a bathroom, shower, fridge, and bed.

Having a large rig and towing a car or a trailer would make my kind of travel into the towns difficult and expensive because of the high fuel costs. It would also restrict us to staying in campgrounds. I like the simplicity of my B and the ability to park it in towns or hotel parking lots.

So, how do you all like to use your Class B?

Do you travel like me?

Do you want to but a truck and tow a trailer?

Do you boondocks?

I am real curious to hear your responses.

Thanks

Jerry

Pleasureway Lexor FL, just shy of 21" long

2 to 3 day trips, 2 to 3 week trips, multiple month trips planned. Typically won't stay anywhere for more than 2 or 3 nights and use the buggy for day trips from the campsite.

Do you travel like me?

Somewhat.

Of course, I'd like the ability to pull into the campsite, flip a switch and have 50% more interior space, with the vans footprint on the road. Though that sounds an awful lot like a 20' Class A.

See prior answer

Considered that option and rejected it.

If we change the way we use a camper and were to stay at one location for a few weeks, such as wintering in the South, I'd reconsider. But frankly if we chose to head south for the winter, I'd rather rent a condo. Probably cheaper and less of a hassle.

No. Considered a couple in the 27' to 30' range and rejected Class A's. Don't want to tow.

No, if I wanted to tow something I'd would have bought a trailer and 3/4 ton pickup or van.

Do you boondocks?

Yes. Most of the campgrounds we stay at are national forest, state parks or similar and often lack hookups, so that is similar to boondocking.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #24
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

We snow bird in our 1995 Explorer Class B. Its 20 feet long and on a Dodge 3500 frame. We spend 3 to 4 months at a time but also camp for shorter periods. Was thinking about a small travel trailer in the future for snow birding only. That as we could leave hooked up with awning out. Just up dated inside with new flooring and seating. She has everything we need.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #25
Bronze Member

I have been camping in a Class B since 1976. Lately, I have been considering a B+, but it is hard to give up my 2000 Xplorer. I had the electric couch removed and twin beds put in and that made living and traveling much easier. It did remove some space for just sitting indoors, but I spend much of the time outside in a campsite or sightseeing. I have driven coast to coast twice and once from east coast to Manitoba and then west on Trans Canada. I like the convenience of city driving and the ability to park it almost anywhere. Before the B I pulled a tent camper and know I would not like to pull a car.
It seems many are downsizing now and have driven the price of even used B's to new highs.
drsdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #26

Jerry, you should be able to enjoy your class B for many years to come. They are so versatile. We’ve had a 2000 RT190P for 21 years now. Ordered it new. We’re now 82 and we’ve used it most every way possible….from extensive camping of all types; to pulling a Uhaul for a move between Maine and Florida; to hauling longer pieces of lumber from Lowes; to driving around town on errands; to staying in our kids driveways on holidays and visits. If we get too many at the house here we set it up in the driveway and Gail and I give up our bedroom and sleep in the van. We’ve been 296k miles, all the lower 48 and the lower provinces of Canada from Newfoundland to BC. Only regret is we bought it to go to Alaska when we retired and haven’t had a chance to get it there yet. I will admit, every once in awhile I wonder if I should find a small tow vehicle to have for exploring. Then I realize how easy it is to unplug and how easy it is to drive around and if you want to stop you’ve got your food and stuff with you. Obviously we’re big B fans. GeoB
GeoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:00 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default Mercedes Benz Sprinter is problematic

Quote:
Hello Class B forum members,

I have a few questions for you members:

First of all, we are 72 and own an Airstream Interstate 19, which is only 19.5 feet long. I just returned from a 5 week and 6,000 mile trip from the east coast, through Wisconsin, Michigan, Texas, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, and back to Delaware. We slept in the van most of the trip, at state and private campgrounds, due to COVID, but also spent some nights in hotels. The rv is compact but it gets about 19 miles per gallon. We enjoyed the journey.

Many you tube videos stress bigger rvs are better than class b rvs. Well, we enjoy touring the towns and really consider the rv to be a travel vehicle with a bathroom, shower, fridge, and bed.

Having a large rig and towing a car or a trailer would make my kind of travel into the towns difficult and expensive because of the high fuel costs. It would also restrict us to staying in campgrounds. I like the simplicity of my B and the ability to park it in towns or hotel parking lots.

Do you travel like me?

Do you boondocks?

I am real curious to hear your responses.

Thanks

Jerry
Jerry, I agree 💯 percent with everything you stated. And, we get on average 18.5 to 19.5 MPG on our 23 foot Class B motorhome...... And, like you and some others on this thread we've taken a couple of trips across the USA.

The only big drawback of the Sprinter, I assume you have one if I'm correct... please let me know if I'm wrong, is the damn emissions system on the Sprinters......

Of all the things that have gone "south" on our Class B, the emissions system is the most challenging one.....

And, our rig this year has spent more time away on its own "vacation" than we have.... it's currently at the Mercedes Benz dealership right now.....

Listen, it all started going wrong right after the AEM.... additional emissions modification, and even though it does extend the emissions warranty.... it's a pain.... and here's WHY ...I brought my van to Mercedes, they said, "yes, it's under warranty and we'll fix it under the extended emissions warranty for free provided you remove the tanks..... just get that done and come back...... that's not FREE...... Well, I got it done, but, heck, I hope this doesn't happen to you.... plus, I had the good fortune to be home.....

Could you imagine being on the road in the middle of the USA and have this experience???

Plus, soon afterwards, I got what I call the "James Bond countdown"..... that's where the system starts at either 16 or 10 starts.... you DO NOT want to go to zero......If you go to zero then your only option is to have the vehicle towed away.....

So, regrettably, I have to say that while I absolutely love the platform of the Class B Sprinter.... would I do this AGAIN.....no way.....

And, if I can't make it work, it's hasta la vista.....I'm not replacing it.....

One more thing about diesels and Mercedes..... the more I learn about them the more anxious I become...

Kudos to you folks with gasoline engines......it really hurts to admit this after owning one for 4 years, but, despite the fact that the engine is probably good for 300,000 to 400,000 miles getting there with emissions problems is another matter.......

Again, everything you stated, mobility, easy driving, fuel, simpler setup and breakdown, is fantastic...

No way would I want a trailer, had one, they are a PITA, a lot of extra labor intensive setup..

Everyone knows that a smaller space means that you have to take less stuff... that's what we do... .

You know, there's been many times that I thought about getting a satellite phone, especially in the Mercedes..... I've been VERY LUCKY that I have not become disabled in some out of the way place, but, it's definitely a numbers game...

Be very careful... you need to have unlimited towing, especially if you are driving a Mercedes Benz Sprinter...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:05 PM   #28
Silver Member

Hey Jerry... we are your age but both still own a business... so travel is limited. Last year we bought a 2001 21' Chinook and enjoy it for all the reasons you gave...but our gas mileage isn't as good as yours though!

Interestingly, during the day and early evening we don't spend a lot of time in the van... love being outside. So a much bigger van isn't a necessary. Guess that is why we love living in a small town too.

Good luck... be safe!
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:27 PM   #29

Which unit do you have with the bunk bed design
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:05 AM   #30
Lou
Platinum Member

Our favourite thing to do is wander. We seldom stay more than one night, except for a week at the beach with daughter's family.

When it became just 2 of us we traded in a Class C for a Class B
The van is short enough to legally park in front of our house.

We have a better view while driving. The passenger seat turns around for when I read into the night. Opening bathroom door blocks the reading light.
The couch is more comfortable than sitting at a dinette. We just press the button to lower it and roll out our sleeping bags. The separation at the foot of the bed makes it easier to get in and out.
I don't want a trailer because if there are problems I want to be able to drive away.
We have occasionally stayed in a friend's driveway but mostly we stay in provincial parks and they don't have hookups.

What I miss is a shower that you easily step into and a fridge that isn't on the floor. I wouldn't mind a fridge that opens onto the stairs like in some European vans. Kneeling is harder now. Those were acceptable trade offs for an RV to keep near our house.

The van has been great during COVID just going for a picnic or eating a take out dinner. We have even had a few wandering days just around the Vancouver Lower Mainland. One day became a bit too exciting while we were travelling on Zero Avenue. There was a gorgeous view of Mount Baker and my husband stepped out to take a photo. As soon as we stopped (in Canada) a US border patrol roared up out of nowhere . I guess they thought maybe we were about to throw drugs across the border or something. I know they were just doing their job but it was a bit scary!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:30 AM   #31

Davydd, could you expand a bit on your unit's bunk bed arrangement. Was this stock, and if so, what model/brand is it. If not stock, did you modify them on an interior redo?
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
Davydd, could you expand a bit on your unit's bunk bed arrangement. Was this stock, and if so, what model/brand is it. If not stock, did you modify them on an interior redo?

Search forum posts for “Mies” and you will find Davydd’s posts describing his new custom build from Advanced RV.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #33

Default Our "B"Use

Our "B" is a 22' 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous on a 2005 Sprinter chassis. Since selling our home 2 years ago and starting a new home build we have been living in it full time including occasional travels. Covid 19 outbreak has greatly reduced our travels.

Do you travel like me?
Well, yes and no. We have had two long trips, starting in the Puget Sound area west of Seattle. The first trip was to Alaska, the second to Key West. In between many shorter trips.

There are just two of us and a 35 pound dog. I'm 77 and my wife 68. We don't travel with anyone else. Too small? For what? We carry everything we need and can easily maneuver this size rig.

Absolutely not. The more room you have, the more excess junk that you never use. This is big enough and we have everything we need.

Do you want to buy a truck and tow a trailer? Been there, done that. 27' fifth wheel towed by a 3/4 ton Ford diesel pickup. Our goal is to travel and see things around the US and Canada, NOT to sit in one spot and vegetate. We don't need a "second home". We need a means of transporting us to/from various destinations and provide safe, dependable, and inexpensive housing along the way. That's what we have.

Do you want to buy a Class A and tow a car? We've looked at them. But it is WAY to expensive both up-front and ongoing. It would not do anything more to help us achieve our objectives.

Do you boondock?
Yes, as much as possible. We occasionally stay in commercial sites, especially to have a long, hot shower and/or do laundry. We really got into boondocking on our first long trip (to Canada) and have been doing it ever since. It always amazes me to see all these rigs that are fully self-contained but always at full-convenience RV parks. But to each his/her own!
SeabeckStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyG View Post
Our van is a totally custom van not based on a plan used by ARV for a starting point. They built it from my 2D and 3D CAD drawings as the only thing they exchanged with me on some discussed modifications were 2D hand drafted drawings. I named it Mies, as it is my second van from ARV and I am an architect. The first was Alvar for Alvar Aalto a Finnish architect know for his curvilinear designs. Mies was named after Mies van der Rohe, for his famous quote, “Less is more” for my attempt to get just about everything in a 5 ft. Longer van as I had in Alvar into a short Sprinter. Actually, it achieved a bigger bathroom and more practical storage such as two bicycles inside the van if I wanted to and larger grey 26 gal. and black tanks 25 gal. and same size fresh water tank 40 gal. Refrigerator is smaller 4.2 cf vs 6.8 and lithium batteries less capacity at 576ah vs 800. Galley counter is a tad smaller in length and I have a refrigerator and microwave at the a comfortable eye level height and not kneel down under counter height that take up precious drawer and cabinet space.

The bunk beds occupy 26% of the floor space beyond the B pillar vs. about 60% of a full width queen size bed or twin beds with an aisle to access. That was the key to the design. Interestingly my top bunk is 50” high and probably no higher than that pull down bed in that short mini Class C being imported from Europe currently being discussed

Anything less than 20 ft. long in a RV I think is a game changer for traveling, touring, parking and ease of use going anywhere than most realize now that I am experiencing it. Many of my RV friends have gone the opposite way and moved up to a Class C including what they euphemistically call a B+ which are mostly longer, wider and taller than an extended body Sprinter (the biggest van.)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #35

Love traveling in a class b. Just fine for the wife and I. 2005 Leisure Travel Sprinter. We've gone through pop-ups, tag-a-longs and 5th wheels. Have no need for any of that anymore and don't see a need for a chase car. Boondocking is fine but I prefer an electric hookup.
Burrissfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #36

Default Daily Driver ?

We would appreciate the benefit of your experience and suggestions! Having owned several Trailers one Airstream, one Oliver Elite 2 and a Pleasure Way Motor Home, Class B+, we are now entertaining a switch to a Class B.

I am 72 years old and it is getting harder and harder to Hook-Up and maintain the trailer etc. The plan is to sell our Oliver Trailer and our current Tow Vehicle and get a used classy Class B Van, probably a MB Diesel.

Here is the big question! What are the down sides of using this type of vehicle as a Daily Driver? I am retired so my yearly mileage is minimal and because we have a Handicap Sticker, Parking won't be an problem in outside lots. Our house has a 2 car Garage, but the Class B won't fit inside, so outside storage is the only option. We live in the Midwest, so a Car Port would be nice.

I know we will save the $100.00/month trailer storage fee and the extra Insurance/maintenance related to the trailer. One last thought, we do have two folding E Bikes so a Cargo Box attached to the rear hitch is probably the solution. Any other thoughts, etc.
Sailorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy7 View Post
We would appreciate the benefit of your experience and suggestions! Having owned several Trailers one Airstream, one Oliver Elite 2 and a Pleasure Way Motor Home, Class B+, we are now entertaining a switch to a Class B.

I am 72 years old and it is getting harder and harder to Hook-Up and maintain the trailer etc. The plan is to sell our Oliver Trailer and our current Tow Vehicle and get a used classy Class B Van, probably a MB Diesel.

Here is the big question! What are the down sides of using this type of vehicle as a Daily Driver? I am retired so my yearly mileage is minimal and because we have a Handicap Sticker, Parking won't be an problem in outside lots. Our house has a 2 car Garage, but the Class B won't fit inside, so outside storage is the only option. We live in the Midwest, so a Car Port would be nice.

I know we will save the $100.00/month trailer storage fee and the extra Insurance/maintenance related to the trailer. One last thought, we do have two folding E Bikes so a Cargo Box attached to the rear hitch is probably the solution. Any other thoughts, etc.

Welcome to the forum Sailorguy!

We own a Chevy Express-based class b so it is closer in size to the shorter 19ft Mercedes than the 24ft extended dually.

If we didn't already own a long paid off '2005 Honda CRV beater, I would have no problem using the van as a daily driver. Sure it's harder to park than the Honda, but not enough to fear parking lots, and while driving down the road, I don't feel the size. In fact, I like sitting up high that allows me to see over traffic ahead.

We do not travels with bikes, but it would definitely provide a challenge and require a rear bike rack.

I would miss the ease of loading items into the rear of the Honda, but if the CRV failed me, I would not replace it just to have a second vehicle since my Wife and I are retired. I do regret the toll the South Texas sun is taking on the paint since we park it uncovered in our driveway, but a new paint job every 10 years is still much cheaper than maintenance, insurance, and car payments on a second vehicle.

Good luck with your decision.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:58 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy7 View Post
I assume that you will be able to see my signature. I am about your age, and my last 3 Class B's have been my daily driver since 2015. I don't have a handicapped sticker, but don't find parking a big deal since I like to park away from the crowd. (but there are certainly times where it would be handy) The first two were just over 18' and then just over 19', and my newest is the tiniest Promaster at just over 16'. All them have mostly sat outside although my winter place in AZ has a carport high enough for a Class A. lol

Insurance can be an issue if the RV is your only vehicle, as most insurance companies assume we are commuting, which is a no-no. They can't seem to figure out that people can and do retire. My mileage is very low too. If you have another vehicle, this won't be an issue. The only company that would cover me in MN was Geico, which is fine since the price is reasonable.

And if you have an HOA, there could be an issue parking it in your driveway.

Those are the only possible downsides that I can think of after using mine as a daily driver for the last 6 years.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #39

Default How do I use my Airstream Interstate 19?

Hello Forum Members,

Thanks for all the replies to my questions. Seems like everyone is very happy with their choice of a Class B. I sure am. It may be my best purchase ever.

It has been 6 months since I have owned my B. We now have 16,000 miles on it. We have travelled from Delaware to Texas, Delaware to Virginia, and many other shorter local trips. Mostly we spend the night in the B, but we have rented hotel rooms too.

We always take the B on most daily trips since we can park it anywhere. We like the space it offers over a standard cars. We use the fridge and bathroom to really make it a traveling house. Just yesterday we traveled 200 miles to Maryland to go to a craft studio tour. We parked in a sandwich shop's parking lot and a person asked us if our van had a bathroom like an RV. The point is that because it is the size of a standard van, it is fairly inconspicuous and she did not even think it was an RV.

I want to pass on a few things I have learned:

We just did our first winterization. I learned that our Airstream is not a 4 season coach. This is unfortunate. The tanks are not inside the coach, so they can freeze and crack when you are traveling or stopped. I even called Advanced RV to learn if they offered a 4 season coach. They do not. I would like to be able to winter camp and take the van to places where it freezes at night.

After calling our Airstream dealer's service department (Colonial Airstream in New Jersey), we located the two low drain plugs in the passenger side rear wheel well and the fresh water tank drain plug. I used an air compressor to blow out the lines, making sure the air pressure was never over 30 pounds pressure to avoid stressing the lines. (I have a small 1 horse power unit so it will not continuously blow air at that pressure. I am looking into the "California Air Tools" 2 horsepower models.

We have drained the clean water and grey water tanks. When we use the black tank, we pour an antifreeze and water mixture into the toilet. When we return home I empty the black tank, flush it a few times, and add more anti freeze.

We keep the bed in place so we do not have to make up the bed each night. We use safety pins to pin a king size mattress pad to the top and bottom sheets. This avoids the movement of the sheets and blankets.

We do not drink the water in the fresh water tank. We take filtered water from our house or buy water when we travel.

I was concerned that the van did not have a spare tire, so I bought a "Wilco Off Road" large spare tire and bike carrier. I went to a Mercedes dealer and bought an extra matching tire and wheel. (I intend to buy a spare tire cover too.) I also bought a fold up platform that plugs into the extra 2" receiver hitch. I also bought an aluminum storage box that sits on the platform for extra storage. I drilled two holes in the box to bolt it to the platform. (The nuts are inside the box so it is secure and cannot be stolen.)

I had Colonial Airstream install a "We Boost" cell phone extender. I think it helps, but I am not sure yet.

Lastly, we do cook meals, but we have found it so much easier to go to super markets to buy precooked foods, fruits, and vegetables.

Jerry
jerrysimps@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:

I want to pass on a few things I have learned:

We just did our first winterization. I learned that our Airstream is not a 4 season coach. This is unfortunate. The tanks are not inside the coach, so they can freeze and crack when you are traveling or stopped. I even called Advanced RV to learn if they offered a 4 season coach. They do not. I would like to be able to winter camp and take the van to places where it freezes at night.

Jerry
Huh! I definitely have a four-season Advanced RV van. I’ve traveled and camped with water in the fresh water tank down to -15F with my previous ARV van and now have a better four-season ARV van with all heated tanks underneath and inside water lines and batteries. It says in their Faqs on their website:

“All our builds are four-season capable due to our battery and plumbing engineering. Some builds have deeper winter capabilities than others.”

They kind of qualify their statement because they build custom vans to the customer’s request. I’ve found their underneath tanks can withstand freezing temperatures if you keep them not full for expansion purposes and use pink RV anti-freeze in flushing grey and black tanks. Fresh water just avoid using unless you encounter above freezing during daylight hours and carry gallon jugs inside for drinking. Generally the fresh water tank doesn’t freeze in overnight drops because the Rixen Espar heat glycol return waste at 160 degrees is grooved along the tank’s length to heat the tank. You do generally have the heat on during freezing temperatures.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote