Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #41

I am a single senior female. I love my 1997 Roadtrek 190. I travelled 8,000 miles in USA from Ontario Canada several years ago. Used my Anytime Fitness pass for showers. My membership in Boondockers.com was best way to meet people who also helped me maintain my RV to keep me on the road. The convenience of the Class B 19' was really appreciated in RV Parks and Campgrounds. My next trip will be in Canada, East to West.
Hope this helps you make the best choice to enjoy RVing.
Sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:48 AM   #42

HI Sary
I am also a solo senior female . I bought a 1999 Pleasure way on a Dodge chassis in nov of 2021 . Just love her . I live in the Niagara region of ontario. Is there a group for Class B owners in ontario ?
Mayanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:52 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimps@aol.com View Post
. . . I learned that our Airstream is not a 4 season coach. This is unfortunate. The tanks are not inside the coach, so they can freeze and crack when you are traveling or stopped. I even called Advanced RV to learn if they offered a 4 season coach. They do not. . . .

Jerry
As Davydd pointed out Advanced RV does build vans that are 4-season capable. Perhaps there was a miss-communication. Advanced RV does not offer a service to make your Airstream 19 4-season capable.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #44
Platinum Member

If we were willing to spend the money, we'd already be in an ARV Class B or maybe even their B-Box. Their stuff is beautiful. One caveat: I would prefer they use standardized off-the-shelf lithium batteries from someone like Life Blue or Lithionics, vs. building the custom lithium battery packs I've seen in a couple of their videos. So, if we suddenly decided we had more money than whatever else we typically worry about and had them build something for us, we'd probably ask for that.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #45

FYI: Question #5 has a typo.
AKFINEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
If we were willing to spend the money, we'd already be in an ARV Class B or maybe even their B-Box. Their stuff is beautiful. One caveat: I would prefer they use standardized off-the-shelf lithium batteries from someone like Life Blue or Lithionics, vs. building the custom lithium battery packs I've seen in a couple of their videos. So, if we suddenly decided we had more money than whatever else we typically worry about and had them build something for us, we'd probably ask for that.
I’m not a fan of ARV’s B-Box. It is a Class C and looks like an ice cream truck. It is more efficient than a van interior space wise but their comparison is deceptive in that they measure out to out with the side nerf bars they put on their vans and height to the top of their air conditioners neglecting other stuff you would desire on your roof like TV or Satellite domes, racks, etc. just to call it a B-Box.

For batteries they offer three choices, the Elite Power Solutions built-up cells in a block underneath the van like I had in Alvar which you are describing, the Volta Power Systems, a 48v not custom but a package system they place inside the van with under hood generator and inverter, and what I currently have, Valence batteries inside the van coupled with a second alternator under hood (Delco Remy) and a 3,000w Xantrex inverter. The Valence batteries are in a group 27 profile 144ah package and grouped together. They are standalone off the shelf batteries like Lifeline and Lithionics I think you desire. I have four of them under my single bed. I could have had six but I opted for two storage drawers instead.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:22 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
what I currently have, Valence batteries inside the van coupled with a second alternator under hood (Delco Remy) and a 3,000w Xantrex inverter. The Valence batteries are in a group 27 profile 144ah package and grouped together. They are standalone off the shelf batteries like Lifeline and Lithionics I think you desire.
What manages the charging of your batteries? Or, is it just the Valence BMS & the Remy's regulator?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:20 AM   #48
Platinum Member

Ballmar for the alternator and what ever they do with Silverleaf. It will shut off battery charging when the batteries reach 100% SOC. Silverleaf when on shore power will charge batteries to 100% and then shut down until I think 88% and then start recharging. That was a programming thing they did with my Elite batteries after a couple of years and continued with Valence so I don’t think it is a battery BMS thing. They have a cabinet full of playing card size module controllers behind the Silverleaf monitor. I have no idea what all they are.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Thanks for the ARV battery info.

Our current Sprinter-van camper (Airstream Interstate) has a pair of LifeBlue batteries for a total of 400Ah. Those batteries have their own on-board BMS, so we didn't have to pay for a separate BMS. In a solution that uses Victron lithium batteries, the stand-alone BMS is a significant additional expense. That's why we went with LifeBlue this time, whereas in our last RV (a travel trailer) we went 100% Victron.

Given we upgraded our van's electrical system after the fact, our vendor stored the batteries and the Victron 3kW inverter / charger under the rear lounge, in back, on the passenger side. It fits neatly there, but it obviously used up that space. The original AGM batteries were under the van in a simple metal cage, but our vendor did not put lithium batteries down there because he didn't want to expose these much more expensive batteries to those conditions, and of course these physically larger batteries would have required a different custom cage down there anyway.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Our current Sprinter-van camper (Airstream Interstate) has a pair of LifeBlue batteries for a total of 400Ah. Those batteries have their own on-board BMS, so we didn't have to pay for a separate BMS. In a solution that uses Victron lithium batteries, the stand-alone BMS is a significant additional expense. That's why we went with LifeBlue this time, whereas in our last RV (a travel trailer) we went 100% Victron.
Other than cost, were you happy with the 100% Victron setup? I am considering that, mostly due to my "van automation" interests--they seem to be among the most friendly for that kind of thing.

Lots of people seem to take a belt-and-suspenders approach, with both an internal BMS and external controls. Not sure what I think of that.

Advice appreciated.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:51 PM   #51
Platinum Member

In further checking the Valence batteries do have their own proprietary BMS. I have U27-12XP batteries and those two wires shown are for plugging to the BMS.

https://www.lithionbattery.com/produ...s/u-charge-xp/
Old 11-26-2021, 01:38 AM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy7 View Post
We would appreciate the benefit of your experience and suggestions! Having owned several Trailers one Airstream, one Oliver Elite 2 and a Pleasure Way Motor Home, Class B+, we are now entertaining a switch to a Class B.

I am 72 years old and it is getting harder and harder to Hook-Up and maintain the trailer etc. The plan is to sell our Oliver Trailer and our current Tow Vehicle and get a used classy Class B Van, probably a MB Diesel.

Here is the big question! What are the down sides of using this type of vehicle as a Daily Driver? I am retired so my yearly mileage is minimal and because we have a Handicap Sticker, Parking won't be an problem in outside lots. Our house has a 2 car Garage, but the Class B won't fit inside, so outside storage is the only option. We live in the Midwest, so a Car Port would be nice.

I know we will save the $100.00/month trailer storage fee and the extra Insurance/maintenance related to the trailer. One last thought, we do have two folding E Bikes so a Cargo Box attached to the rear hitch is probably the solution. Any other thoughts, etc.
We have used our class B Roadtrek Popular as a daily driver for 15 years now. I am also 72 years old, and the greatest advantage to using the Roadtrek daily is that I always have my bathroom with me.
I have no problem parking the van, and the added benefit of having a kitchen and bedroom handy is huge.
As an RV, the Roadtrek is perfectly suited to us. We often take extended trips in the van, and find it comfortable and the convenience of being able to drive anywhere invaluable. We recently made a 10,000 mile loop around the mainland US, visiting as many National Parks as we could. In many places, like Yellowstone, we were able to drive on routes that were prohibited to other RV's.
Maybe we are more used to the space of the class B, since we normally live aboard our 31' sailboat in the summer. I just don't see the need to drive around the country in a vehicle the size of a house.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #53
Platinum Member

So, how do you all like to use your Class B?

We have adopted it as a way of life. Unexpected bonus: Living part time in a van for 7 years (a full 3 months in 2019, before the pandemic) has acclimated us to small spaces. We are not retired yet, but when the pandemic eliminated all social activities, we redirected our energy into building a 500 square foot cottage / potential retirement home. Living part time in it now, we find that we do not miss the space of a “normal” house, so we have developed a pathway to living very frugally, which may allow us to retire sooner than we would have otherwise.

Do you think the B is too small?
Would you rather have a larger B?

Nope. Seven years in a 22-foot T1N Sprinter have convinced us that this size is perfect for us.

Do you want to but a truck and tow a trailer?

No, but we may eventually configure a small trailer with independent solar so that we can take a freezer, my Vespa, and a modular kayak on cross-continent trips. We have a first-gen Airstream Interstate, which means that we have a GVWR challenge, and that was the inspiration behind considering the development of a small custom trailer. See trailer thread here if interested.

Do you want to buy a Class A and tow a car?

I do not foresee this ever happening, but see comment above about small trailer and Vespa. It would be nice to have an efficient local travel option. I carry a Brompton folding bike when we travel, but using a bike in lieu of a toad or "motorized toad alternative" is very time-inefficient.

Do you travel like me? / Do you boondocks?

Exclusively and extremely. We DIY’d a solar/lithium conversion a few years ago which means we are not power-limited. We can remain off-grid for long periods, weeks or months in the right situation, if we wanted to (see here).

Pic below from 2020 when we made our usual 6,000-mile round-trip trek from Houston and quarantined on my land in eastern Canada for 14 days, relying exclusively on the Interstate and a Clam Venture screened room that I set up as a kitchen (there are no utilities or buildings on my land).

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #54
Platinum Member

You hav beautiful property. The Wendlands of RVLifestyle just bought 5 acres in Tennessee for parking their RV and wrote about it. It got me browsing this morning again for wooded property on the Gunflint Trail in Minnesota between Grand Marias, MN and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:55 AM   #55

I just saw a YouTube video from Advanced RV that discussed their use of the MB 4 cylinder Gas engine in some of their 170 inch WB Sprinter. This surprised me, given their price range, etc. He mentioned that 1/3 of their customers prefer the 4 cyl over the V6 Diesel. I've also seen the MB Website that compares the operating costs of various Drivetrains (4X2 vs 4X4) and Engine combinations (4 or 6 Cyls, Gas vs Diesel) I am consider a Sprinter Van now and would prefer the 4 cyl also in a 144 Inch WB Sprinter. I want to use the Van as my Daily Driver so the operating conditions would be consider Light Duty, therefore not real conductive to a Diesel Application.
Sailorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:13 AM   #56
Platinum Member

Is that a new video? ARV, to my knowledge has never built a 4 cyl. Engine except for one 2500 144 bike van with minimal camping build out. They discouraged me when I wanted a 2500 144 with a full build out.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:31 AM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy7 View Post
I just saw a YouTube video from Advanced RV that discussed their use of the MB 4 cylinder Gas engine in some of their 170 inch WB Sprinter. This surprised me, given their price range, etc. He mentioned that 1/3 of their customers prefer the 4 cyl over the V6 Diesel. I've also seen the MB Website that compares the operating costs of various Drivetrains (4X2 vs 4X4) and Engine combinations (4 or 6 Cyls, Gas vs Diesel) I am consider a Sprinter Van now and would prefer the 4 cyl also in a 144 Inch WB Sprinter. I want to use the Van as my Daily Driver so the operating conditions would be consider Light Duty, therefore not real conductive to a Diesel Application.
I don't think Advanced RV has built a van with 4-cylinder GAS engine. They certainly have built many with 4-cylinder DIESEL engines, first offered in 2014 models. Here are links on their 4-cylinder diesel videos.

https://youtu.be/ZO04oZjpklI

https://youtu.be/cO2BhrHbctM
Old 12-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I don't think Advanced RV has built a van with 4-cylinder GAS engine. They certainly have built many with 4-cylinder DIESEL engines, first offered in 2014 models. Here are links on their 4-cylinder diesel videos.

https://youtu.be/ZO04oZjpklI

https://youtu.be/cO2BhrHbctM
I didn't know Mzungo was a 4 cylinder. I guess I wasn't paying attention. That was one of their concept vans. I know I-70 in Colorado is a difficult road to maintain speed even with the diesel.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #59

Interesting, I didn't notice the date but he said he drove the Test Van 10,000 mile without a complaint. Additionally, in the videos he sail that 1/3 of his vans were the 4 cyl, while the other 2/3 were the V6. If the "WORD on The Street" is correct, we will only have the 4 cyl Gas/Diesel, I'll take either one.
Old 12-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #60

I looked up the Videos, it was in 2014.