Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default How is Onan gen plugged into Rt?

Hi, I have owned my 98' Rt 190 for 5 years and never used the gen to power anything. I always ran the gen on occasion to make sure it was ok. Recently I was camping at Diamond Lake, Oregon and they had no hookups. I started the gen but the A/C and other electrical stuff did not work. The day before I was at a site with hookups and everything worked. How is the gen plugged into the Rt electrical system? thanks, bobow
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobow View Post
Hi, I have owned my 98' Rt 190 for 5 years and never used the gen to power anything. I always ran the gen on occasion to make sure it was ok. Recently I was camping at Diamond Lake, Oregon and they had no hookups. I started the gen but the A/C and other electrical stuff did not work. The day before I was at a site with hookups and everything worked. How is the gen plugged into the Rt electrical system? thanks, bobow

there is a breaker on the onan itself. if tripped it will run but not deliver any of it's power
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Silver Member

Thanks gerry for the quick reply. Bob
Old 08-11-2015, 01:27 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Plug shore power plug into your van receptacle. Some don't do it automatically. Threw me off for a while until I figured it out. DUH
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:17 AM   #5
Silver Member

Maui,

Your response differs from Gerry's. I have not been to my Rt since the question (in temporary storage) but will look into your answer as well as Gerry's. Both sound feasible. I have the Onan manual which is in the van, and see if they elaborate. Not sure if there is a way to plug the shore line into the van.

Bob
Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Gerrys idea is good as well. It could be either. My older 1994 Dodge Leisure Travel class B doesn't switch from shore power to generator automactically. I physically have to take the plug that you normally use for shore power and bring back to my rig in the same compartment I store the long power cord. I found a female recepticle and plug it in there. Now it gets it's power from the generator only. I hope that makes sense.
Let us know what you found out.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 AM   #7
Silver Member

Default How is Onan gen plugged into Rt

The circuit breaker needed to be reset. It seems as if the breaker wants to turn off. So problem could be in need of a new circuit breaker or a short somewhere.
Will continue to explore, first by replacing the circuit breaker.

Bob
Old 08-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #8
Silver Member

To Gerry & Maui, The Onan generator with the breaker reset now stays reset and the A/C works just fine without tripping the breaker. So no need for a new breaker.

Bob
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Great to hear an easy fix