Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default How is your classB in the snow?

First winter with my 98C200V. So far, it drives like any other van in the snow, a bit better with all that weight. What are your experiences?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E58A722B-94ED-40B0-8A22-5113B1E8B1B6.jpg (256.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg D713896D-3B1C-4997-B0FC-36DC5FB82ACE.jpg (285.0 KB, 18 views)
KaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Happy!

Though Alvar is snug in a heated garage now sucking up electricity at 50 deg.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Hope to never find out how mine drives in snow. Although we did have a freak South Texas snow (nearly three years ago to this day) which doesn't really count for driving since it melted mere hours later.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6466.jpg (269.9 KB, 11 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:16 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The only snow ours has seen is a few squalls of it on a couple of mountain passes, but none on the road. In the winter the only snow it will see is out the window of the garage. To much salt on everything around here when it snows and too many thinks salt will wreck under a class b and of course the van itself too.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:51 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I have no idea.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:52 AM   #6
jon
Platinum Member

After I sold my Sprinter 4x4 because of the diesel engine I ordered a Transit one year before Ford announced the Transit AWD. I ended up ordering a gas engine with a limited slip rear axle. Then I install my Nokian winter tires every Dec. that part sucks. The campervan is so heavy it does great in what little snow, well with what little snow we get in Seattle. I've tested it up at the ski slopes and I'm really surprised at how well it drives in the snow.
I really don't need to winter camp but we like to take day trips so I keep some containers of RV anti-freeze to flush the toilet with.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:39 AM   #7
Silver Member

I've driven mine from MI to CO in snow and sleet, driven around CO in the snow ... it just trucks along. I'm not doing the mountain passes or anything, but it drove through 6 inches of snow with just being a bit easier on the throttle.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Sprinter 4x4. Snow means it is time to go camping!
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainK View Post
First winter with my 98C200V. So far, it drives like any other van in the snow, a bit better with all that weight. What are your experiences?
Something that I'll never know!
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:17 AM   #10
Gold Member

Snow I have no experience in my rig, but will follow old giude lines that stopping is more important than being able to go fast.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Buc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #11

Don't know what they treat the roads with where you are but here in upstate NY they use a brine solution and salt which destroys the underside of our cars. We looked at a Roadtrek that was driven in the winter and the rust underneath it was terrible. With all of the plumbing lines exposed it could possibly cause some major problems down the road. Happy Holidays!
calamityannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calamityannie View Post
Don't know what they treat the roads with where you are but here in upstate NY they use a brine solution and salt which destroys the underside of our cars. We looked at a Roadtrek that was driven in the winter and the rust underneath it was terrible. With all of the plumbing lines exposed it could possibly cause some major problems down the road. Happy Holidays!
Here in Central Texas if it ever snows and it has everything just shuts down. Rarely do I ever see them treat the roads but I believe is sand and salt. No expert on this matter but I would be more concerned with rust of your van chassis.
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Buc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:25 PM   #13
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=KaptainK;121987]First winter with my 98C200V. So far, it drives like any other van in the snow, a bit better with all that weight. What are your experiences?[/QUOTE

I've had 3 different Class B's since 2008 ('98 Coach House, '00 Coach House, '98 Roadtrek 190 Popular) and have driven all 3 in the winter between Iowa and Indiana. I usually go from Iowa to Indiana at Christmas, so I've driven in snow several times. Of course, I like it better if I can drive after the roads have been cleared, but I haven't had any problems driving in snow. I think the extra weight helps too. First year that I had my first Coach House, I even boondocked in a parking lot at a dog show in 10 degree weather, parked on snow and ice. My Coach House was all electric, so I ran the generator to run the heat option on the Duotherm A/C and ran a small space heater on low. Those kept the temperature inside at 65 degrees.

I think good tires and the extra weight help with traction.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
Gold Member

She’s getting around just fine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1D558DAC-5ADC-484E-93D2-EC3D01E27A93.jpg (312.6 KB, 6 views)
KaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I'm with Calamityannie and Buc22. While I'm sure I could drive in moderate snow if I had to, I would avoid it due to the potential for corrosion to the chassis and undermount RV components. If it became absolutely necessary, I would spray down the underside ASAP following exposure to de-icing chemicals.

Agree that tires are the most important adjustment for winter driving. For myself, it's such an infrequent event I would not want to spend the money for winter tires. My current all-seasons are pretty poor in snow and ice. Another reason to stay home.

If I planned regular winter use- skiing and outdoor recreation- I'd want a totally different design with more underbody clearance and all RV components inside the cabin.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:40 PM   #16
Silver Member

This winter I decided to keep my van up and running, so practical with the pandemic situation. I bought four steel wheels and winter tires, isolated the windows and back door. Bought a Porta Potti, and keep water in jugs. Already have a Webasto EVO 40 running from the main gas thank,propane stove top and microwave oven. In the link inside picture was taken in Quebec City at minus 21 celcius inside temperature was plus 22 celcius.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MZhnbUwmxhMQW45f8
Driving the converted Ram Promaster 3500 with brand new good snow tires is nice. Being a front wheel drive it is also better not having weight in the back of the van,with filled water tanks like in summer. In the summer going up on a steep gravel hill and the van loaded the front wheel were spinning. Imagine in snow or ice it could be better to climb a hill backwards. On highways on cold,very cold pavement just need good soft rubber winter tires. On backroads and hills a rear wheel drive van with lots of weight and good tires would be better.
Paul the Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote