Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 12:21 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How long does it take for your water heater to heat up?

Hi, my 97 Roadtrek still has the original hot water heater, but it seems as though it’s taking a lot longer to get the water to a nice hot temperature for either doing dishes or for a shower. I just wanted to ask how long does it take for your water heater to get up to temperature.i checked and the flame is strong, and there’s no air in the chamber. If you have any suggestions, please let me know,,,thanks,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If the water is cold it will take longer. This time of year, it will likely be cold up there.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:01 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Usually about 15 minutes.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I turn ours on for several minutes before we leave on a trip, then turn it off. I am just warming the water up a bit and after we get where we are going and set up camp, I turn it on and finish the job. I am just preheating the water so it doesn't take so long when we get to our destination.

Since your RT has a six gallon heater, that is a lot of water to take from a cold temp to a usable hot temp. Fifteen minutes doesn't seem that long to me, but I have never really timed it.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:55 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Hi, my 97 Roadtrek still has the original hot water heater, but it seems as though it’s taking a lot longer to get the water to a nice hot temperature for either doing dishes or for a shower. I just wanted to ask how long does it take for your water heater to get up to temperature.i checked and the flame is strong, and there’s no air in the chamber. If you have any suggestions, please let me know,,,thanks,,,
Make sure you don't have the water heater bypass valve open.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Has the water heater ever been descaled?
Calcium buildup insulates the water from the heat source.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks for all your replies, I’m not sure how to de scale the hot water heater,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Look inside the tank by removing the anode rod (if your model has one), the electric heating element (again, if you have one), or the pressure relief valve, to see if that is a problem. If it needs cleaaning, flush what you can and then fill with a gallon or so of vinegar. Leave it in for a day or so to dissolve excess minerals. Maybe a drive to slosh it around also helps.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:53 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Thanks for all your replies, I’m not sure how to de scale the hot water heater,,
From what I have read a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar is good.
It was also recommended heating the water heater with the vinegar mix over night, or longer. Just remember turn off the heat and let it cool before draining.

Click on this link: https://www.thervgeeks.com/water-and...flush-inspect/ Be sure to see the updated information.

I made a tool from PVC pipe and fittings to facilitate the fill process. I will take pics later and post them.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My 06 pleasureway uses a gas water heater, takes 10 or 15 minutes, never anything I had to much think about.
The PW has a vent on driver's side behind rear tire which needs to be clear for optimal heating- if you have similar, check it's clear

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Remove the anode rod, screw in the threaded end. The union allows the pipe to be aligned straight up. Close the water heater valves inside the MH. Open the sink hot valve.
I have a 6 gallon WH so I pour 3 gallons of white vinegar in first, then add water to fill. The pipe is the correct height to fill the WH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Heater Tools 001.jpg (147.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
Platinum Member

A bit off topic, but I have so far been very impressed with our Truma instant hot water heater.

It does see rather complicated, so I hope I continue t be impressed in terms of trouble free operation.

On all out three previous trailers we had the traditional 6 gallon tank type heaters.

This one truly is as close as you could get to being instant. One feature I miss is that it is gas only - no electric operation, but it seems to consume very little gas we only turn it on when hot water is needed.

It also has a recirculating feature that means that as long as it is on, hot water is continually circulated around in a loop to all hat water faucets.

I find the big lus to that is that as soon as you turn on a hot tap, hot water comes out right away - you are not waiting while it turns from cold to hot and so filling your grey tank in a wasteful manner.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote