Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How many of you have Sprinter mats up in the front cabin and where did you get them?

Well, I've been thinking about getting carpeted mats..... but, wondering how they fit.. best place to get them and is it even worth doing??

There's many varieties as well, separate three piece mats two for the driver and passenger and one for the center between the seats...

AND... a one piece that covers the entire area...

Then, there's the question of carpet?? Cut pile, berber or vinyl.

The problem with vinyl is that it can slide around and slip... you see the Weather Tech mats are very nice, but, when you put them on an existing vinyl floor they can slip... not too good.

Mainly interested in the front cabin looking better... I have no illusions about any "noise cancellation" up there....

Where did you get your mats.. ?? Internet store, Amazon, Mercedes, where.... and did they fit???

I don't know.... maybe you'll tell me to just skip it..... after all, the base vinyl floor in the front cab of the Sprinter is a pretty durable vinyl.

Go ahead give your best answers...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

We are awaiting delivery of our 2019 Plateau.

Recently we bought a VW GTI and I bought custom floor mats made by "Weathertech."

Not cheap, but I have been impressed with them, especially for Canadian winters dealing with with road salt, ice and snow!

I see they also sell a one piece mat for the front of the MB Sprinter 3500, and the Weathertech main distribution centre for Canada happens to be in the town where we live (Burlington Ont).

So when we get the van I will take it around to see if the mat fits well in the PW.

Not as nice looking as a carpet style mat but probably more practical in our environment!

The mats in the GTI snap onto little retainers already in the VW to hold the OEM carpet mats in place so they don't move at all - I have no idea at this point if the MB Sprinter mats have a similar feature. They work great in the VW and stay in place perfectly - probably not only because of the snap on retainers but also the moulded bucket shape of teh mat that traps all dirt and water.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Vw gti??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
We are awaiting delivery of our 2019 Plateau.

Recently we bought a VW GTI and I bought custom floor mats made by "Weathertech."

Not cheap, but I have been impressed with them, especially for Canadian winters dealing with with road salt, ice and snow!

I see they also sell a one piece mat for the front of the MB Sprinter 3500, and the Weathertech main distribution centre for Canada happens to be in the town where we live (Burlington Ont).

So when we get the van I will take it around to see if the mat fits well in the PW.

Not as nice looking as a carpet style mat but probably more practical in our environment!

The mats in the GTI snap onto little retainers already in the VW to hold the OEM carpet mats in place so they don't move at all - I have no idea at this point if the MB Sprinter mats have a similar feature. They work great in the VW and stay in place perfectly - probably not only because of the snap on retainers but also the moulded bucket shape of teh mat that traps all dirt and water.

Brian.
Different application ??

Listen, I have Weather Tech mats in my Subaru Outback...
They are great.... but, they're over carpeting....

The Sprinter has a vinyl floor.....
Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Different application ??

Listen, I have Weather Tech mats in my Subaru Outback...
They are great.... but, they're over carpeting....

The Sprinter has a vinyl floor.....
"Listen" ?? !!

Haha - didn't realise that the van came with vinyl mats - we don't have our MB yet.

In that case, perhaps living where we do, I won't need anything at all then.

Vinyl or similar is probably the best for me, as carpet does not do well at all with salty water in winter time!

Once we get the van I will see if we need to do anything - maybe not and I can save the $$ for other gadgets!

If it appears advantageous I may still add the Weathertech mats and add something underneath to stop them moving about on the existing vinyl flooring - that should not be difficult to do.

In my case I would never be adding any sort of carpet up front.

Brian.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Not mat.... just the pure vinyl flooring

Quote:
"Listen" ?? !!

Haha - didn't realise that the van came with vinyl mats - we don't have our MB yet.

In that case, perhaps living where we do, I won't need anything at all then.

Vinyl or similar is probably the best for me, as carpet does not do well at all with salty water in winter time!

Once we get the van I will see if we need to do anything - maybe not and I can save the $$ for other gadgets!

If it appears advantageous I may still add the Weathertech mats and add something underneath to stop them moving about on the existing vinyl flooring - that should not be difficult to do.

In my case I would never be adding any sort of carpet up front.

Brian.

Brian, there's no mats.... just the natural vinyl flooring up front... it's pretty durable....

YEAH... maybe I'll just skip the whole thing... they're pretty heavy duty... I just always like to protect the floors … I have seen some at dealerships with the carpet...

The Weather Tech mats would not grip... they would slide.. while the cut pile mat have a rubber grip back.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #6
Platinum Member

We bought weathertech mats. Then we went to Home Depot and got some carpet pad remnants and the heaviest rubber floor mats they had. Cut them to fit under the floor mats. Helped to reduce noise in the cab. Then added same treatment to overhead cabinets and added sound control materials to the door cavity. Quieter now. No slipping.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
We bought weathertech mats. Then we went to Home Depot and got some carpet pad remnants and the heaviest rubber floor mats they had. Cut them to fit under the floor mats. Helped to reduce noise in the cab. Then added same treatment to overhead cabinets and added sound control materials to the door cavity. Quieter now. No slipping.
Interesting - thanks.

I was wondering if some sort of rubber glued to the underside of the Weathertech mat would keep it in place - sounds as though it might.

Brian.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have Weather Tech floor liner in my '17 RT CS. Absolutely perfect fit...no slipping. It accumulates a tremendous amount of dirt and mud and water that is easy to clean. They are one piece: I can take them out and hose them off.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #9

Totally agree on the Weathertech mats. Spent 5 days at the beach. They captured a lot of sand that would have gotten embedded in carpet. They fit very well, do not move around.
MaxCapacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #10
Edj

I bought some very nice custom Berber mats from someone on eBay. They are beautifully made and look great. They were pricey but the value was there. Sorry I can't find the link or receipt now.
BUT as sturdy as these are to keep them looking nice I need to make an effort to not track in dirt. I usually take off my shoes on drives of any length.
In sum, they definitely are a cozy upgrade over the vinyl that comes with the Van but some effort to have they stay looking nice.e
Edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Do you have carpeting up front of just the regular vinyl cargo floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxCapacity View Post
Totally agree on the Weathertech mats. Spent 5 days at the beach. They captured a lot of sand that would have gotten embedded in carpet. They fit very well, do not move around.
Yeah, I'd prefer Weather Tech.... I have them in my Subaru over the carpeting, they work GREAT... but, the native floor up front in the Sprinter is vinyl....

Weather Tech told me that their mats would NOT work... and slip around.

What's the story on you rig?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default I am NOT going to affix glue to my floor.... yikes

Quote:
Interesting - thanks.

I was wondering if some sort of rubber glued to the underside of the Weathertech mat would keep it in place - sounds as though it might.

Brian.
What about when you want to change or clean the mats... if they are "glued" to the floor, sounds like a mess to me.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #13
Platinum Member

WeatherTech floorLINERS are a different product than the floor mats. The Liner is a single-piece semi-rigid liner that covers the whole front floor of the van.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
What about when you want to change or clean the mats... if they are "glued" to the floor, sounds like a mess to me.
I wasn't planning to glue them to the floor, just perhaps glue some rubber strips to the underside of the Weathertech liners so they wouldn't side around on the vinyl flooring as you mentioned,

But based on another post on this thread from someone who has installed them, they fit so well that they work perfectly, so I will likely try them as is.

I am certainly very happy with the ones I put in our VW GTI and teh fit is excellent.

Luckily the main Weathertech distribution centre for Canada is in my home town so it should be an easy return if they don't work out - I should be able to try them for size right in their carpark!

Brian.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default I know what they are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
WeatherTech floorLINERS are a different product than the floor mats. The Liner is a single-piece semi-rigid liner that covers the whole front floor of the van.
I have them in my Subaru Outback... they're great... it's just that over carpeting is a little different than on the vinyl floor...

I'll call and speak with them again.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default I just called and spoke to Weather Tech....

Quote:
I wasn't planning to glue them to the floor, just perhaps glue some rubber strips to the underside of the Weathertech liners so they wouldn't side around on the vinyl flooring as you mentioned,

But based on another post on this thread from someone who has installed them, they fit so well that they work perfectly, so I will likely try them as is.

I am certainly very happy with the ones I put in our VW GTI and teh fit is excellent.

Luckily the main Weathertech distribution centre for Canada is in my home town so it should be an easy return if they don't work out - I should be able to try them for size right in their carpark!

Brian.
Brian, I'm going to save you some time and aggravation...
IF your brand new Mercedes does NOT have carpeted floors up front... apparently some do... I have not seen that.... and it comes with the vinyl flooring ( which is durable as nails, very tough).... then don't even bother getting the Weather Tech floor liners..

The 2nd representative confirmed everything the first person told me and said "she has friends with the same Sprinter set up I have and skips the carpeted mats and covers altogether. ...

She said, when the floor gets dirty, just get vacuum and use a damp cloth to clean... that's it.

Your mileage may vary.... and MAYBE you'll have a carpeted floor to put mats over... I don't know...

If you don't believe me.. call Weather Tech (800) 441-6287 .... just got off the phone with them.. they will tell you exactly what they told me.

--Mark
Old 07-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Brian, I'm going to save you some time and aggravation...
IF your brand new Mercedes does NOT have carpeted floors up front... apparently some do... I have not seen that.... and it comes with the vinyl flooring ( which is durable as nails, very tough).... then don't even bother getting the Weather Tech floor liners..

The 2nd representative confirmed everything the first person told me and said "she has friends with the same Sprinter set up I have and skips the carpeted mats and covers altogether. ...

She said, when the floor gets dirty, just get vacuum and use a damp cloth to clean... that's it.

Your mileage may vary.... and MAYBE you'll have a carpeted floor to put mats over... I don't know...

If you don't believe me.. call Weather Tech (800) 441-6287 .... just got off the phone with them.. they will tell you exactly what they told me.

--Mark
Thx! I know your reputation for checking things out so I don't doubt what you say! I will wait to see what is in the front of the van as I really don't know. If t has good heavy vinyl - which I would almost prefer - than maybe I don't need anything! Although I did save some really heavy rubber front mats from our truck that we traded in and may just throw them in during the winter to capture all the salt, grit, and slush that us poor cousins up north must contend with!

Brian.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Default Depends on the mats.... I suppose

Quote:
Thx! I know your reputation for checking things out so I don't doubt what you say! I will wait to see what is in the front of the van as I really don't know. If t has good heavy vinyl - which I would almost prefer - than maybe I don't need anything! Although I did save some really heavy rubber front mats from our truck that we traded in and may just throw them in during the winter to capture all the salt, grit, and slush that us poor cousins up north must contend with!

Brian.
Brian, guess you'll find out soon.
The floor up front has a slight slant to it going down as it moves towards the inside of the coach...

If the mats will just sit up front and are heavy enough not to slide around, you'll probably be fine...

My worry is always about sliding floor mats and trip factors.. don't want either one.

Post a picture of your new rig when you get it. I'm sure it will be very nice.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Brian, guess you'll find out soon.
The floor up front has a slight slant to it going down as it moves towards the inside of the coach...

If the mats will just sit up front and are heavy enough not to slide around, you'll probably be fine...

My worry is always about sliding floor mats and trip factors.. don't want either one.

Post a picture of your new rig when you get it. I'm sure it will be very nice.
The mats I have from our truck are real heavy and have deep grooves in the rubber to retain water - But - the underside is carpet, so if the van has vinyl they may slide around, we shall see!

However, thinking about it since my last post, we did see a 2018 at the dealer where we ordered our 2109 and I feel almost sure it was all carpet up front. In fact I seem to recall commenting to my wife that we'll need to get mays fast before it gets really messed up! (Carpets in the front of a vehcile never made a lot of sense to me, the Weatertech solution seeems much more practical and retains everything. Easily cleaned up too.

Will indeed see if I can post pictures when we get the van. Should be nice and light and airy inside as we chose all light finishes. Cabinetry is the curved laminate European style with the push button positive latches It is on off white with a delicate light coloured striation design. The corian is a light neutral colour and the ultraleather is almond. The PW has lots of large wndows, in fact almost the entire passenger side is glass, so the overall effect will be very light - should look like a small private jet!

We'll have to get some bright cushions to have at least a bit of contrast

Roll on September!

Brian
Old 07-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Just checked Dean's walkthrough of the 2018 Plateu FL Starting at about 30 seconds in, you get a shot of the front lounge and it seems clear that whole front is carpeted rather than vinyl, including footwells - so I should be able to use my favourite Weathertech mats!

Brian.