Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How many of you walk to buy or Fly to buy your New Class Bs?

For most of my life, we have always lived near one or another RV Dealership.

But this RV has been a much different approach altogether. Having has Class A we were limited on everything we wanted to do. City driving, Parking, RV Prep and go time or stop and find an RV Park for a few days. So we feel very strongly about going Class B over any other RV for ourselves.

Now finding an RV local dealership that had more than 10 or 20-Class Bs on the lot was impossible and always a workable floorplan for us. As most only had one or two Class Bs. In talking with the Dealerships and seeing a delivery driver who seemed to be, looking for a fast turn around bouncing between RV Models and miles of roads.

So we called to find someone close, reasonable asking what do? Basically the same you do at home when ordering an RV. A deposit after completing a sales order sheet. When our order arrives we will hit the airways or rent-a-car and drive to the dealership to review and pickup of our RV.

The wait has been long and seemingly longer. lol

Please only Class B replies:

So how many of you RVers shopped more than 200-Miles from HOME?
What hoops did you have to jump through for a Class B?
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Silver Member

DogMan,
I too am about to "pull the trigger" here in the next 6-9 months. My choices have been narrow, as I've got it down to a couple different rigs based on my move to Arizona next year. All that said, I am convinced that I might travel as far as 1-2 thousand miles for my purchase. Crazy? Hear me out... Do all the leg work before you sign papers. Fly out to meet/inspect your new rig. Camp out locally while getting acquainted with your van... And then enjoy your drive home, stopping and camping all along the way. Heck, I'm actually afraid to find my next van too close to home. Where's the fun in that?
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We lucked out, found our RT210 Two miles down the road. An elderly couple purchased it new in 2007. Traveled some with it put 27000 miles on it and then put it up for sale 7 months ago.
My wife happened to drive by and saw it the same day it went up for sale in their driveway. Picked it up at a very good price, have had offers to sell it for a hefty profit but we love it, fits us perfectly.

Been on 4 trips with it so far and it is working out great for us. Best part is that I park it in the driveway.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Platinum Member

WOW Some good feedback, As once the call comes in for its arrival. We were looking at our best options and getting this is not the issue. But I like your idea about taking the time to review and check everything out and get to know the van. Once our selection was made were going to do nice easy braking in speeds on the return. I do know how to check a very over (Thank you US Army). Everything seems right and is going well so we're happy.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Hey, if you're happy its all good and sounds like he took care. MY only question is how many others did he own? and for how long RVing, when he or they did?
Old 11-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

In your profile you stated "Ordered Waiting on Coachmen Galleria Li3". When is it coming?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

But I like your idea about taking the time to review and check everything out and get to know the van. Once our selection was made were going to do nice easy braking in speeds on the return. I do know how to check a very over (Thank you US Army). Everything seems right and is going well so we're happy.[/QUOTE]

Yes the US Army trains it's troops how to properly
Check out equipment. It trained me well also.
31 years, 6 months, 20 days worth

Retired O6
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have bought two Roadtreks Online, first one ('05 190P) sight unseen. We received the Order form, selected everything we wanted, and submitted it. They took a Deposit, contacted RT, and four weeks later we drove to Elkhart, Indiana to pick-up. They did a walk-thru with us, and we had it nine years without a problem. We bought a '15 210 after a search of the Internet (this time there were photos), found the one we wanted in FL. Contacted them, made an offer, they called back and accepted. We ask for some add-ons, and four days later drove to FL to pick-up. Again, a walk-thru and it was fine. Only real difference we seen is the quality of some things have declined, but all in all it is great. I would do the same thing again if I were to by another. Ron
Old 11-09-2019, 11:19 PM   #9
Platinum Member

My last RV and my next RV was and will be purchased directly from the manufacturer exactly 800 miles away from our home. No dealers involved. It takes a visit and for most 2-3 days to configure and order a van with almost infinite choices as it is custom. When you pick up the van it takes a similar amount of time for orientation to the new van. While under construction it is optional to visit and work things out. I visited while under construction to work out an articulating bed design. One person interned at the factory and participated in construction of her van.

My first Class B was bought from a local dealer. Our second RV was also bought from a local dealer but i did visit the factory in St. Andrews, Manitoba a tad less than 500 miles away to make custom changes while it was still on the production line.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I have purchased exactly one Class B locally. And that was in about 1985! Since then, I have bought one lightly used C near my home, sold a B in Houston at PPL, bought one from an individual in another state. and bought two Bs from out of state dealers. It has never been a problem for us except a little more trouble with the title transfer.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:18 AM   #11
Platinum Member

We bought a Safari Condo out of Quebec, over 2000 miles away from our home. We visited the factory, fell in love with the product, placed our order (over a year wait time), delivered an empty new American spec’d van about 8 months later, flew back to pick up the converted van and then drove home. Glad we had the time and patience. Definitely worth the effort and wait. Love the finished product.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Traveling to purchase or pick up a RV is fairly common based on my experience.

Current van - took a flight to go get it.
Previous van - bought locally, sold to a couple that had flown in from England.

I traveled via ferry to buy a Class C and when I sold it the purchaser traveled to my part of the country via train.

If traveling to purchase then keep in mind that it puts you at a slight disadvantage as the odds are that you will go through with the purchase and accept something that might otherwise have caused you to keep shopping. That risk is reduced if purchasing a new RV but it is not eliminated.

With a new RV it would be wise to find out how warranty issues will be handled during the early years of ownership. Also note that there have been reports on various forums of dealers, during busy times, giving priority support to customers who purchased the RV from them.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
In your profile you stated: "Ordered Waiting on Coachmen Galleria Li3". When is it coming?
Good question as to what I have been told about our order. As we all know some 20.000-MB Sprinters were ordered by Amazon. That slowed things down a bit and yes we have a deposit and a worksheet listing our options.

We were informed that a large number of Class B MB-VANS have or being shipped to up-fitters. (For anyone who is unfamiliar with the term UP-FITTERS, Thay get the new VANS from the Manufacturers and are authorized to work on them by adding the RV Packages needed). Now as to when it will be setting in our driveway. Well, let me say I'm hopeful we're over the half-way point. To date, it's now been two 1/2-years of searching floorplans, Vehicles. But were getting what we want. As for American Made Vehicle, I'm very sad our vehicles have fallen so far behind in TRUE QUALITY. But as for putting in our request, this was done back in late March which was 2019. Not sure of all the issues but were now in waiting for a 2020 VAN.

Were old, not young so we don't mind waiting as long as its right when we review and do our inspections. We're getting what we want and the PARKS are not going anywhere.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #14
Platinum Member

We are first-timers. In September we contracted for a Galleria. We were told the ready date will be January or February.

We'll fly to the dealership as its about 700 miles from our home.
dmb496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:43 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
We are first-timers. In September we contracted for a Galleria. We were told the ready date will be January or February.

We'll fly to the dealership as its about 700 miles from our home.
Good to hear an approximation that gives us a better time as well. Thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
Platinum Member

With our first long distance trip to pick up a Class B we rented an Enterprise one way car because we could carry the essentials we needed for the trip back home. We sold our past Class B locally before buying new. In the interim trips I described we were able to drive our past Class B and camp in their parking lot set up for Class Bs. Essentially it was just another trip in a Class B and combined ventures coming and going. ARV customers are mostly, I think, long distance buyers. Other ARV buyers probably did the same or fly and I've known a few that said they shipped their essentials ahead of time.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
Platinum Member

While on a Winnebago tour at Lazyday's campground in Semper, FL, we had a chance to inspect a 2017 Trend (April 2016). Drove home in our 2004 Rialta and sold it to a person from Atlanta. She flew to Nashville and purchased and drove home. We then call Lazyday's and settled on a price. They had a fly and drive to purchase and they paid for our expenses to pickup the MH. Stayed at there RV lot for purchased MH for 2 days for inspections and walk thru. Drove the MH to Walmart for supplies and back to RV lot for another day of inspections. Then drove home to TN.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #18

I flew from Salt Lake City, Utah to Dayton Ohio to pick up my new Hymer Activ 14 months ago. The drive home gave me a good chance to try it out.
michael budig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #19
BBB

Wanted a 2019 Pleasure Way Lexor TS but cost to much. Bought a Roadtrek Zion just as company went bankrupt. Never got it. Dealer returned deposit. Found the same PW model slightly used at an east coast dealer on RV Trader. Called and e-mailed to make deal. Flew out and drove it back to Michigan. Worked out great.
BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #20

Default Class B Purchase

I bought my Pleasure Way RV about 2-1/2 years ago in Boise, Idaho. We live just north of Seattle, WA. I knew the model I wanted, so I basically searched nationwide for availability, hoping to find something close to home. It was the beginning of a new model year and I was able to find a leftover, brand new, but a 2017 model when the 2018's had just come out. I was also able to negotiate over the phone with the dealer who was motivated to sell the older model. Ended up making the deal over the phone for $30k less than the new model price. I put $500 down and the terms were that I would forfeit the deposit if I changed my mind. However, they would refund the deposit and let me walk away if there was anything found not right upon my inspection. My wife and I flew to Boise, drove the RV, inspected and tried all of the features, were satisfied and bought it. We stayed in a local RV park for the next couple of days in order to use everything and make sure it was in good working order before driving home. I have been very satisfied. We had one issue with the awning that I had to work with the awning company on. They had upgraded a design flaw in their awning attachment brackets, sent me the upgrade and I had a local RV guy install it. My experience after 2 years and 15,000 miles is that the dealers are typically not very good with service. Even though they are official PW dealers, just not that good. I have found that I am better off dealing with a reputable RV repair facility in my local area that does good work for a fair price. Fortunately, I have one in a town close by. But, I have no regrets in buying my RV a distance away and driving it home. I would do it again down the road.......
JoePacificNW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artofthedeal, buying, newrv, ordering, pickingup