Originally Posted by Binny
Just adding that I too would appreciate hearing how your process works out. Please update us when you feel it's appropriate.
The process seemed to have worked out well for me - everything went smoothly in any event. Will I ever know if I got a good deal? I think it was fair, but somehow I doubt that the dealer I bought from was crying in his beer - hopefully t was a reasonably fair deal for both parties!
In summary, after about 6 months of internet searching, attending a few RV shows, and visiting several dealers, I zeroed in on exactly which make and model I would like to buy.
I had also decided that although no doubt I could do better by selling privately our last rig - 2005 Airstream Classic 30 trailer and a 2008 GMC diesel HD2500 truck - that I wanted the simplicity of a trade in as long as I was not really low balled on what they would offer.
Off course I know the games that are played in terms of trade in allowances in combination in reduction from MSRP.
When I got serious about buying, my negotiations were mostly done by internet and it boiled down to two local PW dealers. The van we had picked was
a 2019 PW Plateau FL. I wouldn't say there were not some features we didn't care for as much, but on balance for us, we felt it was our best compromise.
After a couple of weeks of emails going back and forth I was getting a bit frustrated and just wanted to bring things to had and wrap up a deal.
In a previous life, one of my positions working Canadian National Railway was as Plant Engineer in their largest Locomotve and car repair shops and part of my duties involved establishing and administering the annual capiltal budgets for replacing shop machinery - several millions of $ each year.
Routinely we would put out specs for the equipment we wanted and call for bids. The process worked fine.
So I emailed both salesmen I had been dealing with at the two companies and suggested that to finalise things, I planned to put out a request for theor best and final price within 24 hrs and that within 24 hrs thereafter I would make my decision - not necessarily governed by price but with price being a significant factor.
Both companies were receptive however within a couple of hours one company called me back and said his boss had told home "We don't do business that way!"
I thanked him for his time and said it looked as though he had made my decision easier! We remained on good terms! soon thereafter he called me to say that they would participate after all!
The two prices came in and were amazingly close! In fact I did not take the lowest bid - they were so close it was almost irrelevant, I factored in reputation based on my own gut feel and also on-line reviews as well as travel issues for post purchase servicing / warrantee work
As for the deal itself, I got more than we paid ten years ago for the Airstream - although to a degree, changes in US$/CAN$ exchange rates over the ten years worked to my advantage. For the truck, I got the high end of the asking price for the same vehicle, same year, similar mileage, so I was ok with that when coupled with something over ten percent off sticker price for the van.
So as mentioned I'm sure the dealer was not losing $ on the deal, but I felt ok about it. When we recently took delivery I found that the current sticker price for the same vehicle had gone up $7k since the time that we signed the deal last May, so that was nice to hear!
For anyone wanting to go this route, it wouldn't surprise me that some dealers will refuse to deal this way - they are so used to having the upper hand in the negotiations and having you grovel to them asking them to please accept your humble offer! They don't like the shoe being on the other foot so to speak - just my own thoughts on the subject!