Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default How to cover the spare tire on my Roadtrek 170?

My Roadtrek 170's spare tire cover is missing.

I found some cheap ones on Amazon but I don't think they are gonna work for my spare tire because there is a steel bar on the outside.

Any idea on where to get a cover for this type of setup?

Thanks!

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (136.9 KB, 12 views)
tomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Call RT
Old 04-27-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Give Roadtrek a call. I think you will have a hard time finding a cover in the marketplace that will fit this RT spare holder. I suspect they might be custom made specifically for RT.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Thank you guys. Will do - Tom
tomx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If RT can't help check this out. MasterSeries Continental Kit Tire Covers for Mercedes Benz Sprinter RVs and Vans
You would need to cut the cover to fit over the RT spare tire upright arm and paint if needed.

I upgraded to the 265/75X16 tires and the RT cover won't fit. I plan to buy the Hummer H-3 version W/O the emblem (plain) and cut the cover to fit.
MasterSeries Lockable Hard Tire Covers by Boomerang - 2005-2010 Hummer H3 - Polished Stainless Steel Ring
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

It depends on how fancy you wish to go. I could sew a simple cover for something like that for almost no money, but if you want the outer solid ring, etc., it's better to go for a commercially-available product, even if it needs to be modified.

If you want to investigate the custom approach, you might drop a line on social media groups where stay-at-home Moms congregate. They usually have crafters in their midst and some of these women are remarkably skilled and in possession of higher-end equipment such as commercial-grade sewing machines. They sell projects to fund their crafting habit.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Here is a picture of the spare tire cover on my Roadtrek. As you can see, it has several unique and special features. It accommodates the support tube and also has the elongated bubble bump outs molded on both sides to strengthen the fiberglass cover.

If it were mine, I would probably just buy one of those $20 or so fabric covers you see everywhere. I would buy one for a larger size tire than the 16" tire on the RT. I would then split it up from the bottom a few inches to accommodate the support tube and call it a day. An auto upholstery shop could probably make you a custom one that looked better.

Please let us know if you call Roadtrek. I would be curious what they charge for that cover. I bet $400 or so????

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote