Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2017, 02:51 AM   #1

Default How to Quiet a Winnebago ERA

Hi all:

I posted in the newbie forum...because I am a total newbie. It was suggested by someone there to post my questions to the 'big kids'. I have just bought a 2014 Mercedes ERA. I packed a few clothes and put some beverages in the fridge for my first trip. No dishes, not much to move around.

The noise in the van was so loud that I kidded with my passenger that we would have to get motorcycle helmets with speakers so we could talk to each other. Funny and not funny at the same time.

Most people tell me that it is not supposed to be that noisy and I dread another trip. All ideas are very welcome.

Discouraged in Maine
ramblek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:45 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Ramblek, Your Winnie ERA has a 2 burner propane stove with a cover, right? On the 2 campervans I've had with that sort of stove, the cover is the source of a significant rattle. A folded kitchen towel provides easy cushion. Bottles and cans in the fridge will rattle and may benefit from padding. When driving over bumpy roads, other mechanical parts of your van will rattle. Probably good to explore where you can tighten screws, etc. A campervan won't be as quiet a ride as a passenger car, but yours seems louder than most. Happy and Quieter Trails.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Where do you think the noise came from?

Road noise transmitted from outside?

cabinet doors banging against the frames?

cabinets squeaking? Shaking and rubbing against the chassis?

metal racks rattling?

How do the noise sound like?

Like sitting inside a drum? or tin can?

High pitch sound?

Low frequency rumbles?

Like ten thousand wooden spoons hitting the counter?

Old 08-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I have a 2014 ERA. 2 major source of rattle noise: 1) Window screens, bought clips and greatly reduced noise. I can not find the info I used but I got it off a post on here. 2) Pull down shades, especially the one mounted on the sliding door. Used some paper towel to silence it. Thinking of getting a sun screen shields and just taking the pull down shades out. You can improve the noise and enjoy your ERA.
GBUSMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Platinum Member

In my Crossfit, there were three major sources of rattles:

The glass lids on the propane burners and sink - we put folded washcloths between the lid and counter to quiet them;

The piece of glass that is suspended from the cabinet above the burners - the knurled bolts that held it up had worked loose so we tightened them;

The metal chain and ring that you pull to allow the TV to swing out from the wall - as an emergency measure, we taped it to the wall, but will find a way to secure it before our next trip.

Not an Era, but might be of use...
Old 08-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
The glass lids on the propane burners and sink - we put folded washcloths between the lid and counter to quiet them
Yeah, those glass lids are problematic. We installed those little rubber stick-on feet as cushions.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Silver Member

our 2017 Winnebago ERA 170a is pretty darn quiet...ok, only 4800 miles on it.
Hopefully it will remain so. In most drawers and in some of the cabinets we have towels and more towels to quiet down what moves around a bit. So far, all is good.
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Hey Ramblek! You have a lot of folks trying to help you. Lots of suggestions were given. Lots of information was requested. You need to follow through if you need help. Also.... there is no "magic" to this type of thing. You need to start investigating further in order to locate the source(s) of these noises. We all want you to be a "big kid" too... so lets solve your problem together.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on trying to quiet my ERA. I am trying now to find out what clips to use on the screens. I realized in my research that I am missing a tie-down for the TV. I am going to crank all the bolts on the bed and am looking at noise dampening for the wheel wells. I will get this Winnie purring. Mostly, I want to thank you all for your upbeat replies that had me feeling much more hopeful than I was. Thank you, thank you.
ramblek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I was surprised how quiet and rattle-free the new Airstream Class B's are. Also, the suspension was very compliant on the expessway @ 70 mph.

Expensive but refined.

Have received positive reviews
https://www.supersprings.com/2017/06...me-suspension/
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:02 AM   #11
Silver Member

Well, my 2017
Winne Era 70a 4x4 is very quiet. No problems there. I will report back in a few years.
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #12

The clips that worked for me are from Hehr windows. They cost about $1.30 apiece and are simply --|_|-- shaped wires that will (with some effort) snap into the channels on the outside of the screens. I used four on each screen and they completely eliminated screen rattle. The U shape points towards the center of the screen and snaps over the inside edge of the window frame.

The following distributors carry Hehr replacement windows and parts. They have great reference pictures too...

CA - Pelland Enterprises: www.pellandent.com
800 216-2786
Parts: http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Product...?CategoryID=71

IN - Parkin Accessories: RV Windshields, RV Windows, Shuttle Bus windows,
800-637-8938
Parts: Page Title

OR - Interstate RV Metal & Supply: Interstate RV Metal & Supply
800-587-3463
Parts: Interstate RV Metal & Supply
White Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #13

I also used towels under the glass cover of my 2018 CrossFit, but it seemed that coach vibration was too high in general. Had all six wheels balanced - got rid of vibrations and no longer need to use towels under glass stove and sink covers. This on a brand new van. Never had such poorly balanced wheels on a new vehicle.
Lindt is offline   Reply With Quote