Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #41
BBQ
Platinum Member

Try the junkyard... there must be some seats you can adapt/adopt.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #42
Silver Member

Pete, Nice work, looks great! Looking forward to more pictures. Looks like you are having fun with it. Good luck.
fruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #43
Platinum Member

This afternoon I went out to the RV after work. It's been around 80 degrees and humid today. The RV's been closed up all day, "baking" in the sun.

When I opened the doors I was pleased that the odor wasn't nearly the assault on the senses it was in the past. Replacing those two door panels made a big difference. One more panel to go when I get the time.

We drove it to the local automotive shop to find out why the air only shoots out the defroster vents. The cruise control also doesn't work. Yes, sounds like a vacuum line, but let's have someone with the proper tools figure it out.

Anyway, some baking soda I had used to deodorize the captain's chair dropped onto my hand when I dropped the armrest into place. (I guess I didn't vacuum it all up.) The baking soda stunk to high heaven. That little bit I had missed had been sitting for a week. I had only let the majority of the baking soda sit caked up on the fabric for a few hours. I'm now thinking I'll try completely dowsing the chairs in baking soda and let it sit for several days. Since I have no plans to use the RV this week, it will be a good, cheap test.
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #44
BBQ
Platinum Member

It is easy to check the vacuum line for leaks.
Usually it is at the junction under the air filter.
Lots of video on youtube showing you how to do it.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #45
Platinum Member

I decided to let the professionals work on the vacuum line problems... I had already tried to find the culprit and failed as, well, it was confusing trying to figure out where all those lines were. I'm glad I didn't continue as today the mechanic fixed both the vent problem and the cruise control! Indeed, both were vacuum leaks, but in two separate places. One down below the doghouse cover and one next to the vacuum storage unit near the head lights. (How do you store a vacuum?

While the van was there, he did a full lube, oil and filter. He also got me a new state inspection as well as a complete safety check of the brakes, fluids, belts, you name it. He was impressed the with van itself and it's nice to have a fully functioning Dodge Ram 3500 van now! (All for under $200, I might add!)
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #46
Platinum Member

After inspecting my paneling and upholstery handy-work, my wife was impressed. "YOU sewed those?" Ha!

Unfortunately when I opened the rear door she took a big whiff and while agreeing it was dramatically improved proceeded to ask, "Maybe it's that carpet?"

While I have one more door panel to replace, and the front chairs don't smell great, I think much of the remaining odor is unfortunately in the soft cloth covered walls themselves. Small water stains make me pretty sure they had the rear windows opened during an entire season of New England weather.

I now have to ask the next obvious question: What is involved in removing the soft-touch cloth walls? I found no other post (except one that said "remove the snaps") on this topic. Anyone out there know how the wall coverings are attached?

-Pete
Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #47
Platinum Member

I contacted three junk yards today. Nothing is close.
I'm sticking with the existing seats for a while.
-Pete
Old 09-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #48

Pete...what kind of fabric is that?
Tucker's little brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker's little brother View Post
Pete...what kind of fabric is that?
It's an upholstery fabric I bought in Keene, NH. While I don't recall the brand and color, I could probably call them up to get more details. It's $26 a yard at the store.

I would describe it as a denim blue; darker than the original. Fairly soft and a tad fuzzy, but not a chenille. It's thick and has a double rub rating that should survive.

I shopped for WEEKS to find a decent fabric I was happy with. (Mostly getting samples in the mail.)

They came out great with the exception of perhaps not putting them on quite tight enough. If you guys are really interested in it, I could take some video and call up the fabric store to figure out which one I bought.

-Pete
Old 09-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #50
BBQ
Platinum Member

THat's a nice color.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 AM   #51
Platinum Member

Thanks! Those of you reading this thread may have seen those photos and saw that yes, the van itself is in quite good condition and the interior wood, etc. is fine. Again, it's just the soft surfaces that smell bad.

I'm now at a point where no single source of odor seems to be the problem. With the exception of one panel that I have disassembled in my garage, the remaining mildew smells are either in the wall panels themselves, the headliner (egads) or the carpet. Looking at the panels, there doesn't seem to be any magic to how they're held on. A bit of sleuthing and I could see that most of them are held on by screws. I will likely go find a nice grey fabric that goes well with the upholstery and try my hand at a couple of wall panels this weekend.

I also am continuing the work of deodorizing experiments. I decided that I had little to loose with the captain's chairs that are just mildly bad smelling. (Remember, the backs of the chairs are below the leaking windows.... arrrrgh) So, I took two HUGE boxes of baking soda and completely covered them in the stuff tonight. Since I have to work this week and spend time with the family in the evenings, I can't do much more. My plan is to let the baking soda just sit there for several days. I doubt this will really help much as I'm convinced the smell is deeply embedded in the foam.

Did I tell you that I took the original rear mattresses and cut a big slice out of one? Deep in the middle of the foam it still stunk horribly. I have no idea what happened to this rig, but clearly it got very wet at one point and was left that way. I ran into the previous owner, by the way (she's very, very nice) and I mentioned the mildew. She was surprised. I know this sounds crazy, but I don't think everyone smells that odor the same!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #52
Platinum Member

I'm not stopping! This weekend I finished the door panels and even sewed a new cushion backed doghouse cover. (My crowing achievement to date!) This forum needs a way to post images. Am I missing something?

Anyway, the walls are next. Yup. I removed one small piece above the rear door and lo and behold, there's no magic. It's just a fabric covered foam wrapped around pieces of luan. (Thin plywood.) Some of the rear cabinets seem to be pressing on and holding the bottom of the walls... and those cabinets are GLUED to the body. But, I think I can deal with it.

I just need a good supply of foam backed fabric. (No, I will not be spraying my own like I did for the doors! What a hassle that would be on huge pieces.) Gluing the fabric to the plywood will be tricky enough.

I suppose now would be the time to consider alternatives, like a nice wood paneling?

Anyway, everything I do is improving the looks and comfort of the van. But, again, if you've jumped to the end of this thread, the key take away is, "You can't get rid of the smell. You HAVE to tear out and replace anything damaged by mold and/or mildew. No exceptions."

-Pete
Old 09-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post
This forum needs a way to post images. Am I missing something?

-Pete
Gosh, Pete, you've really been busy!

Here's how you can post images (would love to see them, BTW):

When you hit Reply or start a new thread, there's a box you type into. Below that, in the box titled "Additional Options," there's another box that's called "Manage Attachments." The picture you want to upload must be in one of the valid file extensions listed. I usually use jpeg.

Click on the box that says "Manage Attachments." That brings up a pop-up. In the pop-up, click on "Choose File." Browse to the image you want to upload and click (or double-click) on it. The name of your picture will appear beside the "Choose File" button. You can do that for up to five images - one for each "Choose File" button in the pop-up.

Once you have chosen your pictures, click the "Upload" button. You computer might take some time doing this, but in a little box under the "Choose File" buttons, there's a box that says "Current Attachments." The name of your image should appear in there.

When you are done, you can click on "Close this Window" at the bottom of the pop-up window.

Then, under the box you've been typing your message into, you can click either Preview Post or Submit Reply and the image will appear at the bottom.

These instructions probably appear elsewhere in the forum, but I don't know where so can't guide you there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Bench Overview.jpg (151.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Pete, you are a "man on a mission"
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Gosh, Pete, you've really been busy!
Phoebe,
You know, I belong to many forums and they all use this same software and I always make the same mistake of not scrolling down to see the "additional Options". I usually use my Macbook Air and it doesn't show that part. And believe it or not, I'm a computer guy. I'll upload a few now.
-Pete
Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Default Some photos of work in progress

I've started to remove the side panels, but the curtain attachments use a size zero square drive and although I own every tool in the book, I don't seem to have one that small. So, I'm stuck temporarily for lack of a 99 cent bit.

Here are some shots...
First, today's trip to the dump included the old cushions and rear passenger seat:
IMG_4625.jpg

Now for the new dog house cover. I used the same fabric as the doors and lined the back with foam for a soft touch. There's still a bit of baking soda on the rug.

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4622.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg
Old 09-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Here are some more shots...
This first shot shows where I removed the household air conditioner that was shoved in there. I made a frame out of oak and added a semi-transparent backing to let light through. It pops out if I want to add an air conditioner later.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here's some of the side panels for the rear passenger door. Sorry about the rotated one... if you click on it, it will show properly. Note the handle, which I found online. It's for a old Ford Mustang, but it is a great match. I had to add a brace in the door because those doors are filled with holes where I wanted to mount it.

backOfPanel.jpg

frontOfPanel.jpg

addedHandle.jpg

Note I left out the cup holders and didn't sew in a "map pocket". The cup holders can be added later if I feel like I want them and I find map pockets just collect dirt. And the front passenger seat already has one, so I opted for a cleaner look.

noCupHolders.jpg
Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Here's one more shot that shows the plywood backed cushions I made.
Complete with passenger trying them out.
-Pete
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Ok, maybe one more set of shots.
Before I found the OEM replacement seat for the rear passenger seat, I bought a grey bucket seat and built a base for it that blends in with the existing frame and slips on top like the OEM seat.

The new bucket seat fits my 9 year old daughter much better than the OEM seat. It also slides forward and back and reclines. In one of the attachments below, you can see I pushed it back and gives you a couple extra inches for getting in and out of the van.

Most importantly, the seat belt doesn't wrap around her face. It's just a better option for a small person.

It also has the advantage of being made of vinyl which for its location (always subject to the rain and elements) makes it a better choice as it sheds water.

The OEM seat has the advantage of converting (seriously?) into a bed if needed. It also is a bit more comfy as it's soft and plush. It fits my older son better.

Switching the seats takes 30 seconds at most, so I can chose the seat for the trip and passenger. Had I known I would find an OEM seat, I would have never gone this route, by the way!

-Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bucket2.jpg (100.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg bucket1.jpg (116.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-30-2017, 01:17 AM   #60
Platinum Member

To anyone still reading this thread: The saga continues!

With the doors and seats redone I started to pay more attention to the rear walls. No amount of Frebreze was going to help. With quite a bit of hesitation I decided I needed to probably replace all the walls in the dinette area. So, I removed the top panel above the rear door to see what I'd find. Sure enough, the panel smelled bad on its own. The smell was in the 1/8th inch plywood as well.

So, this week I spent 3 hours dismantling the back! Yup, ripped all the walls off.

Guess what I found? Mice nests. Several of them. Several that had soaked the panels in, well, you know. Needless to say, the face masks and gloves were on. I had found some droppings in hidden places, but obviously they loved the fiberglass insulation in the back.

I stripped off the fiberglass insulation paneling as well. I'm now down to bare metal and will have to vacuum, scrub, bleach and even paint some areas. But, the difference in smell is already significant now that the primary odor causing materials are removed.

My goal is to completely sanitize it (all my new cushions haven't made it to the van yet, by the way, since I don't want them there until it's 100% clean.)

While doing all this I made a 16 minute video of the panel removal process for my brother, John. Shall I post it?

I now have a ton of work to do. I ordered sample material from Sailrite to wrap the new panels in, but it hasn't shown up. I'm considering a lightweight carpet instead. I'm not good at waiting. I have a lot of template making, cutting and rebuilding. The panel in the back above the dinette that has the two map lights was, believe it or not, the worse. The mice had made that spot (below the air conditioner shelf) their home.

-Pete