Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #201
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
When you had your 59G did you find the front lounge seating comfortable for two? Looks kinda narrow and not very shoulder friendly for dining use.
I never sat there. I'd sit on the bench seat (that houses the water tank). I found all the other seating positions uncomfortable for using the table. There was also no comfortable spot to watch TV either.

I think the front lounge area looks good in pictures, but for practical uses it comes up short. Not really big enough to have multiple "normal" size people for dinner or folded down as a bed. Great for kids maybe.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #202
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I never sat there. I'd sit on the bench seat (that houses the water tank). I found all the other seating positions uncomfortable for using the table. There was also no comfortable spot to watch TV either.

I think the front lounge area looks good in pictures, but for practical uses it comes up short. Not really big enough to have multiple "normal" size people for dinner or folded down as a bed. Great for kids maybe.
You would definitely never put any of those seats in your home living room (unlike some of the nice, comfortable reclining rear sofa seats in some B's).
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:21 AM   #203
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I guess you could say that the old (2005ish) Vista Cruiser was way ahead of its time, as they had a very similar floorplan with the front dinette setup and a high bed in the rear.

They didn't seem to catch on, though and soon disappeared. I hope that isn't an indicator of what might happen to that design now.

Vista Cruiser Class B Motorhomes - Model G24
Isn't that the one that had the really odd bathroom? Where you had to like climb in... and as I recall short little me could barely stand in there.

That bed also appears to be higher than the Hymer bed...

I also recall not being impressed with the build quality.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #204
Platinum Member

More info on Aktiv including price...

New Class B Aktiv by Hymer makes North American debut - Roadtreking : The RV Lifestyle Blog
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #205
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
You have to wonder how well a Sprinter priced Promaster 2500 is going to sell (once it has some options on it). The pricing only looks competitive against the now overpriced Chevy Roadtreks, and perhaps Pleasure-way.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #206
Platinum Member

Quote:
Finally positioning the Promaster/Ducato as a premium conversion van in the US. I would choose this over any of the current B offerings.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #207
Platinum Member

Sounds like they are moving ahead with the cassette toilet and not "rework" with a black tank. At least not initially/launch.

I don't see this bathroom size working if you go to a fixed head style toilet. I forecast that they are stuck with the cassette on this floorplan. They may have an option to change it out on their others.

With the options, I'm guessing the MSRP is going to top $115k, so retail will be somewhere $100-105k plus taxes and tag. Maybe a bit more on launch as they'll be in really short supply for a while.

We'll see if this strategy works. I don't see anything "premium" here to justify the $20K more than a Pleasureway, or $30k more than a Winnebago, or even the $10-15k more than a Zion.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #208
Platinum Member

How many more times can this rig make a debut?

The Grand Canyon debuted in Tampa. Renamed to Aktiv it debuted in Arizona. But wait, it is debuting yet again if that's even possible - this time in New York.

Just because you say it - it doesn't make it so. Like "hover" boards that roll on the ground!

One thing seems clear, Hymer looks to be determined to see this unit in the NA market place.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #209
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
How many more times can this rig make a debut?
Think of it more like "a soft opening" -like restaurants do now.

At each "debut", they hear comments, then tweak the Aktiv, then another debut. Since Phoenix, they have added an operable window in the sleeping area, on the drivers side, changed the grill and added a white stripe down the side. At least that's what the latest photos on the Roadtrekking site showed.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #210
Platinum Member

LOL. Adding stripes. Didn't it take us many years to get them to remove all the damn stickers on RV's?
Old 03-25-2016, 04:50 PM   #211
Platinum Member

Keep up the good work guys, I have been checking the boxes off on my list of the to be expected clever responses to the Roadtreking article on the Aktiv and there are only a few that I have not seen yet...

I do suggest you get some new material before your next show at the comedy club, this stuff is getting very repetitive...
Old 03-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #212
Platinum Member

Please share your list! I could use a good laugh
Old 03-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #213
Platinum Member

Quote:
Please share your list! I could use a good laugh
Well, let's see we typically have to cover all of the following themes on a regular basis:

The design does not fit my preferences...

The price is too high, not many will buy them at this price with SOB available at a lower price...

I can't believe they changed that, I liked it before the change...

They will need to get rid of the cassette and add a black tank in order to sell these over here...

They should not show one of these to the public until they have a perfect design...

The roll out of this is very poor, I can't believe they are doing it this way...

Why haven't they completely fixed all their problems now that they are part of Hymer...

And the one I have been waiting for but have not heard in at least a couple days:

Current Roadtrek management's days are numbered, or alternatively, current Roadtrek management should have been removed already...

Those are just off the top of my head but I expect to see some others I don't immediately recall...
Old 03-25-2016, 05:40 PM   #214
Platinum Member

Maybe Mike can help you. At least he's getting paid as head cheerleader. He can tell you what's behind the curtain.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #215
Platinum Member

The price is too high is definitely one of my themes - touché !

Speaking of prices:
https://www.hymer.com/de/service-und...html?file=1938

GBP 36,650 base Grand Canyon plus GBP 2,100 transport from Germany would be US$55,000 We can only dream of prices like that!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #216
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Maybe Mike can help you. At least he's getting paid as head cheerleader. He can tell you what's behind the curtain.
You lost me on that one. Mike help me with what??
Old 03-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #217
Platinum Member

Quote:
The price is too high is definitely one of my themes - touché !

Speaking of prices:
https://www.hymer.com/de/service-und...html?file=1938

GBP 36,650 base Grand Canyon plus GBP 2,100 transport from Germany would be US$55,000 We can only dream of prices like that!
I agree, I do not understand why the European prices translate into such low prices over here based on exchange rate? What am I missing???

But, as a lowly engineer, I don't expect to understand the world of international trade...
Old 03-25-2016, 06:44 PM   #218
Platinum Member

Probably a lot has to do with so few Class B's being sold in North America.
Here: lower volume = high prices
There: higher volume = lower prices

Class B's accounted for about 7% of January 2016 motorhome shipments and all motorhomes accounted for only 14% of all RV shipments. Towable RV's dominated with 86% of the market. Class B's made up approx 1% of all RV shipments (including towables).
Old 03-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #219

I like the Aktiv, and I could live with the cassette toilet. However, that price is way too high for me. $105K before you add any options? I couldn't justify that. Of course, all of the Bs seem to be jumping in price. It'll be interesting to see how they sell.
mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #220
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree, I do not understand why the European prices translate into such low prices over here based on exchange rate? What am I missing???

But, as a lowly engineer, I don't expect to understand the world of international trade...
I recall seeing with HYMER.de you start with a lower spec and almost everything else is a price-based option (i.e. no aircon, no GPS, fewer airbags, smaller engine, etc)

I could be wrong but with most of the German products, the consumers start with a base product and add options. In the USA we see those products with a higher specification and higher price. Unlike European car customers (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) we don't get the opportunity to custom configure our German car purchases.

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote