Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 PM   #321
Platinum Member

My guess is that the expectation for the business is that the trailers will be where the money is. So being made an executive over that part is more prestigious & valuable.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #322
Platinum Member

Another story about the acquisition...

| RVwest
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #323
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Another story about the acquisition...

| RVwest
Not exactly and impartial story but interesting. I kind of liked Hammil's comments about how great the Roadtrek quality, engineering, service etc has been, so it will match up well with Hymer's. I sure hope Hymer doesn't match Roadtrek quality and service.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #324
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

...Cross sleeping that you have to climb up to get into will never sell to a senior couple.
They hastily added a tiny 600w microwave that can at best heat water for a cup of tea. It also looked like a piece of cheap crap.

The interior did not look all that great. Quality and aesthetics were not there.

There is no proven demographic of active users, families or couples who will buy it in numbers at $100,000.

The only thing that will separate them from other Promasters will be the Roadtrek team contributions in the EcoTrek arena, not what Hymer brings. The Zion is a better product at this stage. The Travato will eat their lunch anyway.
Yes, they have an interesting challenge to seduce North American "rich and active" customers to buy a tight and expensive camper van. I don't think the euro-appeal will be a determining marketing advantage. The Eco trek features combined with the idea (not the reality) of being "independent from sewer facilities" might convince some their "Van Life" will be spent boondocking.

My biggest concern is length. The choice they made to introduce their first B on the short Pro is puzzling (like the SRT). They should have introduced the long Hymercar Yellowstone first. Maybe their marketing team determined that short vans (like the SRT) were an untapped market.

The difference between a 19' 7" and a 20' 11" Pro on NA roads, in campgrounds and even in urban environments is negligible (I use my long ProMaster in a city and parallel park it everyday thanks to the exceptionally tight turning radius ). _the situation is totally different in Europe (you simply can't park a 21' van in a city). That 16" difference inside the van is a major compromise: sleeping crosswise. The "most popular floorpan layout in the world" with the front dinette might be the convincing factor but the overall tight interior space might deter a lot of customers. You'll have to be AKTIV to be able to move inside that van!

Again, the next Hymer offensive -towables and class Cs might be the real one.
This AKTIV might only be a diversion strategy to buy time, reorganize the company (clean-up the facilities!) and study the NA american market.

Will the "front dinette" floorpan convince NA convince NA buyers? Looking forward to see how it will work.

Complete updated album on: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #325
Platinum Member

JH told me directly that they have a lot of inquiries and demand for a shorter van and he also lamented the inevitable demise of the Chevy Express platform (and not being able to get enough of them). So I suspect what we'll see is the phase out of the Chevy and it being replaced by these short PM's.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #326
Platinum Member

Jim has also indicated he is not interested in the Transit as long as Ford won't sell them to him at a lower price than they are currently asking...

Not sure Ford has much incentive to sell a few vans to Roadtrek at a discount as long as they are still ramping up production to meet the demand at the current prices...
Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

My biggest concern is length. The choice they made to introduce their first B on the short Pro is puzzling (like the SRT). They should have introduced the long Hymercar Yellowstone first. Maybe their marketing team determined that short vans (like the SRT) were an untapped market.

The difference between a 19' 7" and a 20' 11" Pro on NA roads, in campgrounds and even in urban environments is negligible (I use my long ProMaster in a city and parallel park it everyday thanks to the exceptionally tight turning radius ). _the situation is totally different in Europe (you simply can't park a 21' van in a city). That 16" difference inside the van is a major compromise: sleeping crosswise.

I recently drove both the RT Zion SRT (19'7" Promaster) and the RT Simplicity (20'11" Promaster). The feel was quite different; the SRT felt carlike and nimble, the Simplicity felt more unwieldy--this despite the fact that they have the same wheelbase. I drove the Simplicity first and the difference was quite noticeable. For people who don't need to carry a lot of stuff, the SRT, in my view, is a better choice. In our particular case, both the SRT and Simplicity have more "gadgets" than we want. Climbing over each other at night is something we do in our current RT Versatile, and it doesn't bother either of us. Of course, we are both under 66" tall. But this note only goes to show that each person's, couple's, or family's needs are quite different. It is interesting to me that so many assumptions are made about what makes the "right" stuff in a Class B. Of course, the commercial builders have to make choices, and right now, they do seem to agree with the general principal that Class Bs should be getting bigger and bigger, have 7 cu foot fridges, two TVs, basically, be a Manhattan studio apt. on wheels.

On our last trip, we met some folks who'd been out the magnificent 18.5 foot New-West Migration, a poptop built on a Chevy Express, with boat-like fitments and excellent build quality. They'd been out for 3 months and were quite happy. We also met a single camper who told us he'd had our model of Roadtrek and found it too small, had gone up to a big Class C. Again, the assumptions about what makes for the right Class B differ for everyone. I've learned that my own wants are not shared by many people. I don't know how the Class B makers decide. Has to be tough.

I think the Hymer Aktiv on the 19'7" base has lot going for it--you can bring kids, you can sleep 4, the windows are the wonderful Seitz-type, it has a cassette toilet instead of a blackwater tank--all benefits, as far as I'm concerned. In terms of what I'd buy, it has more gadgetry (and systems that can fail) than I'm interested in--and is higher priced. But take out the standing bathroom, a huge waste of space, drop the price a bit, and I'm sold. I think the "Euro design" offers a lot of advantages in terms of space use.
Vince H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #328
Platinum Member

Interesting discussion over at Roadtreking about a German article on the Hymer acquistion...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...2984123193904/

The original article if you want it in German...

http://www.schwaebische.de/wirtschaf...,10439914.html
Old 05-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #329
Platinum Member

I guess the Roadtreking folks deleted it ......................

Here's Google translated text:

Quote:
"We want to make the US market more"

Martin Brandt, head of Erwin Hymer Group, on the integration of Roadtrek and the America strategy of the company from Bad Waldsee.

Ravensburg sz Martin Brandt has been brought in the past year to make Europe's largest group of companies for motorhomes and caravans for the world market leader. Early March has come and the Canadian provider of Hymer boss Roadtrek purchased. About the integration and the objectives Hymers in North America Brandt spoke with Andreas Knoch.

With the acquisition of Roadtrek you have triggered the expansion of Erwin Hymer Group overseas. What is the integration roadmap?

We do not want Roadtrek involve too much in the much larger world of Erwin Hymer Group (EHG). We have established in Canada, the Erwin Hymer Group North America Inc.. The Company will continue to design and manufacture brand vehicles Roadtrek and distribute the North American market. In addition, it will introduce Hymer in the US and Canada. President of the Company is the current CEO of Road Track, Jim Hammill. We have now set up an integration project with several teams, who take care of bringing together the different areas and functions, each with staff from North America and Europe are busy. We want a lean integration and have been a good feeling.

The integration with transatlantic mergers and acquisitions is due to cultural differences - particularly in the management - often not easy. What about at the EHG and Roadtrek?

The cultural differences are not so great - also because Roadtrek is not an American but a Canadian company. On the contrary: In the course of the talks clearly more similarities have emerged. Roadtrek is, just like the Erwin Hymer Group, a family - even if it was taken in the meantime by a financial investor. The typical DNA, the short-term profitability and growth opportunities subordinates sustainable, intergenerational economies, has also Roadtrek.

What was the reaction of Roadtrek staff on the message to be taken over by a German company?

Regardless of nationality: The staff were pleased that a family Roadtrek accepts it, working similarly. The financial investor Industrial Opportunities Partners had Roadtrek almost five years in portfolio and it was clear that a withdrawal was sooner or later to come. In Roadtrek be held fears that a new financial investor einsteigt or the company is sold to a US industry giant, where it is the 25th brand in a conglomerate or is equal to quite settled. We have said that we want to introduce new products, bring a long-term horizon and lift Roadtrek to a new level. This was well received.

What does your model strategy in North America? If Americans and Canadians can buy the Hymer range future?

We go first to the HymerCar in the market, which is to be settled at the upper end in the compact recreational vehicles segment. Then we want to introduce another camper in the lower segment, and also to advance the Eriba Touring into the caravan segment. Our goal is to continue every six months to launch a new product. We do not want to compete with the traditional US manufacturers, but with our easy motorhomes and trailers enter new markets and customer segments. Regional we focus primarily to California and the northeast coast to Boston and New York. There can score with European design.

How have traders and competitors react in the United States on the announcement by the market entry of Hymer?

At dealerships we had the feeling to be expected. On various fairs we introduced the HymerCar, 2015. There was always said that we'd be breaking down open doors with the model that there is nothing like it - both price and quality. Competitors have our foray course suspiciously eyed. But this is normal and in Europe would also otherwise. However, we are in a niche that is hardly served by the old-established manufacturers. We want to make the market bigger and open up new customer segments, not even address the US manufacturer.

Where do you want to be in ten years with the Erwin Hymer Group?

Our vision is to be the world's leading provider of caravaning. In addition to recreational vehicles, we want to offer services around the caravans - ranging from the rental business to finance and travel offers. In this way, we will not make any snap decisions. As a family, we have no time pressure and no short-term oriented shareholders who urge every three months on success stories. With family Hymer behind us, we have shareholders who fully support the expansion strategy and call for these also.
So it's:

1st: HymerCar - upper end in the compact recreational vehicles segment.
2nd: Another camper in the lower segment.
And: introduce Eriba Touring Travel Trailer

The lower cost camper could be interesting.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #330
Platinum Member

Interesting article. Why would the RT Facebook Nazis take it down?

It will be interesting to see what these integration teams do. "Integrations" I've been associated with in these past were really code-name for "enforce our standards".

I also like the message that they are keeping their Euro flavor and plan to market where that will play well.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #331
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince H View Post
I recently drove both the RT Zion SRT (19'7" Promaster) and the RT Simplicity (20'11" Promaster). The feel was quite different; the SRT felt carlike and nimble, the Simplicity felt more unwieldy--this despite the fact that they have the same wheelbase. I drove the Simplicity first and the difference was quite noticeable. For people who don't need to carry a lot of stuff, the SRT, in my view, is a better choice. In our particular case, both the SRT and Simplicity have more "gadgets" than we want. Climbing over each other at night is something we do in our current RT Versatile, and it doesn't bother either of us. Of course, we are both under 66" tall. But this note only goes to show that each person's, couple's, or family's needs are quite different...
I totally agree that we are all trying to convince others that our personal RV lifestyle is the right one. Imagine having only 20 models of houses with bolted furniture to choose from!

As you are mentioning, individual body sizes are a determining factor in enjoying specific layouts, but it's hard to judge if you don't try it out. Having more rental opportunities could help the introduction of new models.

Would have loved to be able to rent a couple of Bs before deciding which one to buy.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #332
Platinum Member

They did not remove the post on Roadtreking that I linked to, it is still there at least it is when I posted this...
Old 05-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #333
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Interesting article. Why would the RT Facebook Nazis take it down?
The post is still there...

As someone who has been excommunicated from both your and Mike's Facebook groups I find it hard to see much actual difference in the leadership behavior of the two groups. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me...
Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #334
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The post is still there...
Maybe cached in your browser? Anyone else still see it?

Anyway it doesn't really matter. The article was interesting & thanks for posting it here.

From the article:

Quote:
Our goal is to continue every six months to launch a new product.
The products would have to be pretty much problem free right from the factory to keep that pace I'd think. It will be interesting to see if they can accomplish that schedule.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #335
Platinum Member

Greg's link still works for me.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #336
Platinum Member

If you can't get to the Roadtreking link for some reason there really isn't any additional info in the comments there of any note. The original article has all the info...
Old 05-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #337
Platinum Member

I just get the removed or could not be loaded message.

removed.JPG

I can see other posts though.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:47 PM   #338

I actually inquired about buying one of Hymer's standard Hymer Van models (https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...und-daten.html) in left-hand drive and having it adapted (ie, plug adaptors and 220/240 transformer) for the US.

The 314 and 374 are incredible and basically don't exist in the US. Safari's Condo Flex is the closest I've found other than completely custom or a well-used Westfalia Sprinter. To me, the incredible parts of the 314 are the practicality, build quality, and Hymer's tiny touches.

Regarding practicality, note the bed height: https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...ping-room.html. The Aktiv's bed is slightly raised, but feels like a compromise and gives up a lot of the benefit. The 314 has room to store full-height assembled bikes. If I'm going to climb 2.5', I've already made the tradeoff in favor of more cargo space - I'll climb 4'.

Regarding small touches, I mean things like having the entire kitchen cabinet/chassis be removable. There's a video of 2 people removing it in about 5 minutes of effort (though I haven't confirmed whether this is possible on the 314).

Here's the 314: https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...l?panorama=511. If all Hymer did was offer this for EU delivery with a US adaptor kit and some names of freight forwarders, I'd seriously consider it.

Troy
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #339
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd View Post
I actually inquired about buying one of Hymer's standard Hymer Van models (https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...und-daten.html) in left-hand drive and having it adapted (ie, plug adaptors and 220/240 transformer) for the US.

The 314 and 374 are incredible and basically don't exist in the US. Safari's Condo Flex is the closest I've found other than completely custom or a well-used Westfalia Sprinter. To me, the incredible parts of the 314 are the practicality, build quality, and Hymer's tiny touches.

Regarding practicality, note the bed height: https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...ping-room.html. The Aktiv's bed is slightly raised, but feels like a compromise and gives up a lot of the benefit. The 314 has room to store full-height assembled bikes. If I'm going to climb 2.5', I've already made the tradeoff in favor of more cargo space - I'll climb 4'.

Regarding small touches, I mean things like having the entire kitchen cabinet/chassis be removable. There's a video of 2 people removing it in about 5 minutes of effort (though I haven't confirmed whether this is possible on the 314).

Here's the 314: https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...l?panorama=511. If all Hymer did was offer this for EU delivery with a US adaptor kit and some names of freight forwarders, I'd seriously consider it.

Troy
What was the response to your inquiry regarding importing a left hand drive Hymer from Europe?

I could go for a Hymer ML-T Sprinter with the 4x4 option but I don't expect that model to be on the list for North America. Mercedes does not even sell the 4x4 cutaway Sprinter in the US...
Old 05-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #340
Platinum Member

Apparently I can't see posts by Joe Campbell Just had to log in differently.