Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #341
Platinum Member

I can't see it either... likely for the same reason. LOL

I would love to see that tiny Class C... the 314.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #342
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd View Post
I actually inquired about buying one of Hymer's standard Hymer Van models (https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...und-daten.html) in left-hand drive and having it adapted (ie, plug adaptors and 220/240 transformer) for the US.

....If all Hymer did was offer this for EU delivery with a US adaptor kit and some names of freight forwarders, I'd seriously consider it.

Troy
I believe you have to get a DOT approval to get a US license plate. And the European vehicles don't conform to US regulations.
Long shot!
Better wait for the EHG to distribute these in the NA.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #343
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The post is still there...

As someone who has been excommunicated from both your and Mike's Facebook groups I find it hard to see much actual difference in the leadership behavior of the two groups. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me...
Well, I have 2276 happy customers, and 62 a-holes I've had to remove. I'll put my track record up against Mike & Co. any day.

And no, not a single disparaging comment about WGO has been removed. In fact, I can't remember any such comments.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #344
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, I have 2276 happy customers, and 62 a-holes I've had to remove. I'll put my track record up against Mike & Co. any day.

And no, not a single disparaging comment about WGO has been removed. In fact, I can't remember any such comments.
You have Mike beat, he only called me a Weasel...

But I expect quite a few people besides you have considered me an a-hole on occasion so that is nothing new...

Mike deletes posts that he doesn't like, you both delete people you don't like for various and assundry transgressions. Your groups, your rules...

I somehow manage to get by without being in either of your exclusive clubs...

Have a nice day...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #345
Gold Member

Completely back up Ron's points. There is none of the RT Kool Aid consumed on his Forum, just Members offering help and advice, at times other Members venting with legitimate complaints, that aren't allowed on Mike's PR Site. This comes from a satisfied RT 210 Owner
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #346
Platinum Member

Banning is pretty extreme. It would come after warnings etc. Spammers get instant bans. If it's a difference of opinion that you can block the user so you don't see their posts etc. if too upsetting.

Obviously, I'm not a fan of banning. Anyone been on the boards long enough to remember Whisky Echo? He never even got close to being banned on this board.

I'd encourage y'all to start fresh. We have more in common than not
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #347

Quote:
What was the response to your inquiry regarding importing a left hand drive Hymer from Europe?
I tried to contact Hymer via 3 methods (email, Web form, and phone). 2 of the 3 got no responses and 1 couldn't understand what I was asking about. There was definitely a language barrier, which is why my first 2 inquiries were in writing (and with introductions in bad but understandable German).

It was enough to convince me that I'd be impossibly far off the beaten path. I'm willing to trailblaze, but that would only work with the right contact/sponsor at Hymer. I do now receive Hymer's newsletter in German, though (https://www.hymer.com/de/hymer-welt/newsletter/)

If anyone from Hymer is reading this and wants to talk about this, send me a PM. I'm sure this would be tough to do and it may well be impossible due to crash testing and registration (https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ope-to-the-usa). Still, if it enabled Hymer to sell their whole line of small class Cs to sufficiently motivated US buyers, it might be worth the effort. There's basically no equivalent here and won't be until or unless US manufacturers offer significantly elevated beds (or removable rail-style beds, which seems even less likely).

Troy, eyeing https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...ping-room.html
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #348
Platinum Member

I think importing a Hymer directly is likely close to impossible. One option would be contacting a UK dealer who also sells US RVs in Europe to get their take on it. This place would be a likely source of info...

TravelWorld Motorhomes - New and Used Motorhomes For Sale
Old 05-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #349
Platinum Member

Troy it is not going to happen...legally.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:11 AM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
Troy it is not going to happen...legally.
That was also my starting assumption, and that even if it could get past federal EPA and state registration requirements, it probably would be subject to the truck import tariff, AKA the chicken tax.

Troy
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #351
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
I have to say if true, this does not bode well for Hymer in the short-term future. There was a lot of work done (so we believed) with Spartan when they were going to be the US supplier.
Hymer tried to break into the Australian market about 5 yrs ago. Pretty dramatic failure.Not just European manufacturers, have had problems here. Winnebago brought in about 20 Minnie Winnie Travel Trailers they had to eventually give some to charities. Apollo who initially imported them are now trying to build much modified Australian built versions.
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:11 AM   #352
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Hymer tried to break into the Australian market about 5 yrs ago. Pretty dramatic failure.Not just European manufacturers, have had problems here. Winnebago brought in about 20 Minnie Winnie Travel Trailers they had to eventually give some to charities. Apollo who initially imported them are now trying to build much modified Australian built versions.
I'd say that Hymer is a much better fit in the NA market than they would be in Australia. A very high percentage of our owners take their RV's to commercial RV parks and State/Federal parks that have paved roads to and from, and have all the luxury of utility hookups. Not terribly unlike the european market except for a few quirks. If fuel costs spike in north america, I can see their light products having a lot of appeal if they can keep prices under control.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my perception of the Australian market is that there is a much more expectation of boondocking, of ruggedized RV's that can survive unpaved and rough roads. Certainly get by without the facilities of the "grid". Most of the units I've seen on youtube videos look equipped to encounter more of an African safari experience than what we do here in the States.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:29 AM   #353
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'd say that Hymer is a much better fit in the NA market than they would be in Australia. A very high percentage of our owners take their RV's to commercial RV parks and State/Federal parks that have paved roads to and from, and have all the luxury of utility hookups. Not terribly unlike the european market except for a few quirks. If fuel costs spike in north america, I can see their light products having a lot of appeal if they can keep prices under control.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my perception of the Australian market is that there is a much more expectation of boondocking, of ruggedized RV's that can survive unpaved and rough roads. Certainly get by without the facilities of the "grid". Most of the units I've seen on youtube videos look equipped to encounter more of an African safari experience than what we do here in the States.
Very ruggedized especially the Caravans. Combined with that , consumers want very modern interiors( easy to clean) and electronic aids, many of the overseas products do not have those.
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #354
Platinum Member

Default Hymer Activ - Any Updates?

Are there any updates on the release of the ACTIV? The Go Hymer links (Facebook, twitter, etc.) on the site are not working

I've looked on the web for measurements and have not been successful

(height of RV to highest roof point - A/C)
(depth and width of the bathroom)
(width and length of the bed)

We have decided to finally make a move on a new Class B and have seen the light on the benefits of the Promaster chassis.

The Travato is probably what we will buy but would not like to rule out the HYMER ACTIV until we can drive it and review the interior. Our HOA won't allow a Class B van to be kept on the property, so we will have to rent indoor storage space and there are waiting lists.

The only opportunity in CA to view the ACTIV appears to be in July

California Wine Festival – Santa Barbara - July 14 – 16, 2016

Any Erwin Hymer insiders here?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #355
Platinum Member

If you are on the Roadtreking FB group, there is the following link to a Q&A for the Activ

https://www.facebook.com/groups/road...5210952971221/
Old 05-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #356
Platinum Member

The Hymer Aktiv should be about the same size in height as the Roadtrek Zion SRT I think.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 AM   #357
Platinum Member

It looks like a nice setup with some good features. However the price from Hymer in a video quoted 105k... Hopefully a discount like other RT products but it still seems high compared to other offerings. The 2016+ Travato 59g seems to be similarly equipped now except for the gen setup, and the G would appear to have a nicer bathroom. All Winny needs to do is lighten up the cabinetry and upholstery and they are very similar considering the price diff.

It's great to see different offerings. Now if Safari Condo could make US purchase easier things could get real interesting in the PM platform.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:23 AM   #358
Platinum Member

Interview with Howard Stratton, COO of Erwin Hymer Group NA...

CTV Kitchener: Made Right Here: Erwin Hymer North America | CTV Kitchener News
Old 06-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #359
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing that link. Big plans & very exciting for everyone involved I'm sure!

This link: https://bmplayer-a.akamaihd.net/shar...79&w=960&h=540 - might work to show a larger version of the video
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #360
Platinum Member

Quote:
As usual, uninformative. Not a word about the acquisition or any details about the new vehicles [obviously trailers and class Cs]

A much more interesting video [albeit in German] of how EHG/Roadtrek will built it's trailers and class Cs in the future http://bit.ly/1sjU73r

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote