Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
afb

Default Hymer Aktiv or Lincoln Navigator?

Our 2014 Navigator is due for replacement. In the past, we've always bought large SUVs that we keep for 4 or 5 years and rack up 70-80k miles. So the most obvious choice would be to buy a new Navigator. But, for the first time, we're considering buying a Class B instead.

We are not RVers, we have no intention of going camping. Whatever we buy will be our primary vehicle. We live in a small town that’s 85 miles from the city, which we go to 1-2x per week. These trips are usually all day endeavors. The appeal of the Class B is the luxury of having a private bathroom everywhere we go, a refrigerator to store cold beverages, a microwave to heat up snacks, and a comfortable place to lounge while we are waiting for ________.

We really like the Hymer Aktiv 2.0 with sofa. The layout (front lounge and 7 belted seats) seems ideal to us, the cassette toilet is convenient (we have non-vehicular experience with a Thetford Curve), and the 6 year warranty is reassuring (we’d likely sell by year 5).

Is there anything about a Class B that makes it ill-suited to serve in the same capacity as an SUV?
Is there anything that we should look out for, or take into consideration, when choosing a Class B?

This is a new concept for us, thanks for your patience with our naivety. We'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, or reflections you have.
afb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Wow, you get rid of a Navigator when it is at 70-80K, it is just coming of maturity and running like the wind. I have an '07 with over 200K miles, in addition to the RT 210, but would never get rid of that super vehicle. Your Navigator will haul a lot more people, and cargo than that B you talk of.....and I know it is better quality. Just my two cents. Ron
Old 07-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It a cargo van vs luxury SUV as far as comfort & handling ........

B van height could cause issues. Parking could be nuisance in some cases if you have to give up on parking garages. Some drive throughs would become off limits.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
jon
Platinum Member

I liked the AKTIV 2.0 too, but it's a little too long for my taste. I have a Sprinter 144 pass van and find that just under 20 ft is about my max driving to stores. I am having a 20 ft van converted with combo of AKTIV front dinette(with real seats)/Roadtrek Zion SRT bath and rear sofa.

Check Sportsmobile, Van Specialties, Outside Van. They can convert a van that doesn't look like an RV. Mine will look like a passenger van.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I liked the AKTIV 2.0 too, but it's a little too long for my taste. I have a Sprinter 144 pass van and find that just under 20 ft is about my max driving to stores. I am having a 20 ft van converted with combo of AKTIV front dinette(with real seats)/Roadtrek Zion SRT bath and rear sofa.

Check Sportsmobile, Van Specialties, Outside Van. They can convert a van that doesn't look like an RV. Mine will look like a passenger van.
The very reliable V8 that is in your Navigator still has 200,000 or even 300,000 miles left in it. Pull over at a public restroom and put a 12V cooler in the back. Problem solved. $100,000 saved. It seems crazy to me to get rid of a Lincoln Navigator with 70,000 miles on it. And if you absolutely must, it would make more sense for you to get the new Ford Expedition (or the more ex$spe$ive Navigator) which has even more power than the V-8 navigator you currently have, seats up to 9 people and is incredibly quick and good on fuel. Most of the body panels are made of aluminum. And believe it or not, there is a 3.5 L EcoBoost under the hood that is proving to be even better than Ford’s tried and true V-8’s (which are not even offered anymore in lieu of the 3.5 L EcoBoost).
Also, some of the other member’s comments are something to think about because they are true… Unless you get a regular roof and not a high roof class B- you may be limited for parking garages, drive-through’s etc; and if you are not going to use the shower or the bathroom sink or the closets or the stove or the microwave or the rooftop a/c or the generator or the bed or the house batteries… ( you get my point), I think it might just be easier if you gave up (compromise) on the toilet thing and just keep your Navigator or considere getting the new Expedition (or the new Navigator which is virtually identical to the Expedition) if you absolutely must get a new vehicle).
In short, which this wasn’t… LOL, a class B may deliver better fuel economy IF you were to get, let’s say, a four-cylinder diesel sprinter, or a front wheel drive V6 gas ProMaster based one. But still, I agree with the others in saying that you should keep the Navigator. I’m repeating myself, but pull over at rest stops to use the bathrooms, and get yourself a 12V cooler or 12V refrigerator so you can have those cold beverages.
I love class B motorhome is, but there’s no reason for you to get one.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:14 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Count me in the camp of keeping your current Navigator.

But to your original question. Your Navigator is something you gas up and go. It is quieter, rides better, and (this is the most important point) has rear a/c for passengers.

Any RV will not be gas & go. You'll have tanks, batteries, and many systems that you must manage. Manageable if you intend to use it for camping, but since you don't, it will add a lot of annoyance and extra cost.

Rear passengers will not experience the same seating, ride comfort and crash protection. Conversation from front to rear will be nearly impossible.

Finally, rear passengers will not be cool in hot weather nor warm in cold weather.

Now . . . . if you get an RV , you might just find you're tempted to try camping despite your current inclination otherwise.

But it is not a replacement for your Navigator.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote