Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 12:55 AM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
Ha... I almost waited for you to come out to talk... but changed my mind because I didn't want to be that guy! Are you in the Beaverton area? I'm close to that Fred Meyer.
Yep, right over in the Tanasbourne area. Just got back from the coast today, so glad the silver color hid all the dirt/dust. Although it didn't help my parking ability at all apparently! I'm used to driving a little sports car, so this is a beast for me.
rjb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:56 AM   #242
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah... I pushed those as well. I knew they were a reset button, but not the circuit breaker. It does nothing.
The fact that you smelled burnt electronics pretty much indicates the inverter is toast...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #243
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb66 View Post
Yep, right over in the Tanasbourne area. Just got back from the coast today, so glad the silver color hid all the dirt/dust. Although it didn't help my parking ability at all apparently! I'm used to driving a little sports car, so this is a beast for me.
Nice, I'm right by Nike. Yeah, Silver would be nice with the dirt/dust. Also like the plastic bumpers vs. painted. Might have to check with Blue Dog in ordering a replacement? I agree with the size as well. The backup camera is a must with these. I would love to see yours in person to compare them.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #244
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
The fact that you smelled burnt electronics pretty much indicates the inverter is toast...
Yeah, my thoughts as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:57 AM   #245
Platinum Member

Quote:
Microwave works except for heat. Clock, timer, and rotation all works (which we tested at pickup - should have done a heat test I guess).

Inverter started making noise while sitting parked after a couple hours. Makes the noise immediately when I turn switch on, both at the inverter itself and on the control panel switch.

I found a pdf of using the voltstart online and followed the instructions. The switch doesn't light up, and once I have engine started it doesn't switch off (tried a few times, each time it ran over an hour before I called it quits). Talked to Hymer rep and he stated that light should indeed come on at switch if it's working. If you (or anyone) has other instructions, I'd be glad to give them a shot.

And yeah, I agree best get it all knocked out if possible at once (at least the mechanicals. The shelves, etc. I can live with awhile). We're trying to coordinate any fixes with the Portland (Gresham) branch, as it's 2 hours closer than driving to Redmond. We'll see how it all pans out. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be singing the praises of both dealer and manufacturer!
The microwave failure was probably right out of the box. Maybe a bad start button or a defective klystron. Roadtrek will probably try to steer you to the OEM. Tell them it didn't fail - it never worked in the first place and they should deal with the manufacturer on your behalf rather than necessitating you to tangle with them.

After looking at the pix provided by Navanod, it looks like my conjecture that RT used the same inverter throughout their production is not correct because the installation in our 210PC doesn't faintly resemble this.

Re the Voltstart situation. Whether or not the subsequential activation instructions are employed, the Voltstart switch itself should light up when punched. At least it does on ours. If the switch is bad, no subsequent entries will have any effect. Unlike most tests done during dealer prep, a Voltstart test requires a fairly long observation period and my guess is that most dealers skip it.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:43 AM   #246
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post

After looking at the pix provided by Navanod, it looks like my conjecture that RT used the same inverter throughout their production is not correct because the installation in our 210PC doesn't faintly resemble this.
This is the Roadtrek/Aims/PowerStar inverter, in various wattages, that has been standard in Roadtrek vans for awhile now. This installation is a little different with the shroud installed on the right side covering the large cables connecting the inverter to the battery bank. What type of inverter do you have?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:49 AM   #247
Platinum Member

I just looked at the Roadtrek site, and they list the stock inverter charger at 45 amps, so it is likely the same Tripplite they have used for years. Pretty durable, but a smallish MSW inverter at 700 watts and not a great charging profile.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #248
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I just looked at the Roadtrek site, and they list the stock inverter charger at 45 amps, so it is likely the same Tripplite they have used for years. Pretty durable, but a smallish MSW inverter at 700 watts and not a great charging profile.
What you get at this point is all over the place. With just a couple of 6V AGMs it's 750. Some Zions at 2000 and some 210/CS models have 2500.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:01 AM   #249
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is the Roadtrek/Aims/PowerStar inverter, in various wattages, that has been standard in Roadtrek vans for awhile now. This installation is a little different with the shroud installed on the right side covering the large cables connecting the inverter to the battery bank. What type of inverter do you have?
Thanks for jogging my memory. The 2500 inverter I looked at on a on a 2016 210pc build was labeled AIMS. It's control panel also said AIMS and had a three position switch that included a sleep/wakeup power saver mode. But the one delivered on our 2017 does not have an AIMS logo. Although it looks physically identical, it's got a Roadtrek label and the AIMS inscription on the control panel was deleted in addition to eliminating the power saving mode on the panel because (reported to me by a dealer) of user complaints that it had some adverse effect on the microwave oven clock.

In response to an inquiry regarding the label change, RT said that they went to a proprietary design to meet their standards. As Booster wryly points out, they never indicated whether their new standard was higher or lower, i.e, was it directed toward better performance, or increased profit?

That said, it's run the AC off the grid for considerable periods without any complaint.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #250
Platinum Member

Quote:
Aye...she is pretty isn't she? You didn't want a microwave, power, or voltstart with that did ya? Was getting some stuff to make it a bit more livable, then ran over to Craft Pourhouse next door to drown my sorrows (and use their outlets...)
Looks great and the size is perfect. What's your plan on how you intend to use it? have a dealer recommendation?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #251
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Thanks for jogging my memory. The 2500 inverter I looked at on a on a 2016 210pc build was labeled AIMS. It's control panel also said AIMS and had a three position switch that included a sleep/wakeup power saver mode. But the one delivered on our 2017 does not have an AIMS logo. Although it looks physically identical, it's got a Roadtrek label and the AIMS inscription on the control panel was deleted in addition to eliminating the power saving mode on the panel because (reported to me by a dealer) of user complaints that it had some adverse effect on the microwave oven clock.

In response to an inquiry regarding the label change, RT said that they went to a proprietary design to meet their standards. As Booster wryly points out, they never indicated whether their new standard was higher or lower, i.e, was it directed toward better performance, or increased profit?

That said, it's run the AC off the grid for considerable periods without any complaint.
It is an upgrade in power and in that it is a pure sine wave inverter. Not too many reported failures but it is not as rugged as the Tripp-Lite in terms of the the actual build quality. Seems to have worked reasonably the last few years. Not clear what changes were made for Roadtrek except removing the problematic power saver mode. It does have a high parasitic load when not in use compared to higher quality inverters.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #252
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
Looks great and the size is perfect. What's your plan on how you intend to use it? have a dealer recommendation?
Have you been reading this thread?
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #253
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is an upgrade in power and in that it is a pure sine wave inverter. Not too many reported failures but it is not as rugged as the Tripp-Lite in terms of the the actual build quality. Seems to have worked reasonably the last few years. Not clear what changes were made for Roadtrek except removing the problematic power saver mode. It does have a high parasitic load when not in use compared to higher quality inverters.
Removing the power saver is a definite downside. How do they control the unit? Can the inverter be shut off separately from the charger? There is no need to have high parasitic these days, beyond maybe 1.5 amps, which is still more than most of us would leave on all the time. But, of course, when you have 5 amps per ecotrek module, what's another 1.5 amps??
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #254
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Removing the power saver is a definite downside. How do they control the unit? Can the inverter be shut off separately from the charger? There is no need to have high parasitic these days, beyond maybe 1.5 amps, which is still more than most of us would leave on all the time. But, of course, when you have 5 amps per ecotrek module, what's another 1.5 amps??
The powersaver mode was an issue, I believe, due to having the microwave parasitic load triggering the inverter to power on so it had no benefit.

All the functions on this inverter only operate when it is turned on with the wall switch: inverter, shore charger, shore power pass through. It's all or nothing.

I don't recall the inverter parasitic load but it is pretty high. Look in that manual I linked to in an earlier post to get the number which varies with inverter wattage...

The Mastervolt 4000 watt inverter in our new vehicle has around 1 amp parasitic load as I recall from when I checked. We have 720 AH lithiums so not much concern about the parasitic inverter load. May just do what Davydd does and just leave the inverter on when in the vehicle. We plan to have satellite internet service and it includes the option for overnight download of streaming Netflix for later viewing so will leave inverter on overnight.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 AM   #255
Silver Member

Quote:
Nice, I'm right by Nike. Yeah, Silver would be nice with the dirt/dust. Also like the plastic bumpers vs. painted. Might have to check with Blue Dog in ordering a replacement? I agree with the size as well. The backup camera is a must with these. I would love to see yours in person to compare them.
@rjb66 and @Novanod So, my dark grey Aktiv (no stripe) is enroute with an ETA to Blue Dog Gresham in the next three days. I'm near Golden Valley Brewery just off Hwy 26 ... lots of good parking. Shall we meet and greet?

Have you considered going to Johnson RV in Sandy (Roadtrek) for service? I'm thinking I may go there instead ...
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #256
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMTNS View Post
@rjb66 and @Novanod So, my dark grey Aktiv (no stripe) is enroute with an ETA to Blue Dog Gresham in the next three days. I'm near Golden Valley Brewery just off Hwy 26 ... lots of good parking. Shall we meet and greet?

Have you considered going to Johnson RV in Sandy (Roadtrek) for service? I'm thinking I may go there instead ...
I'm up for a meet and greet!

I took Our Aktiv to Johnson RV for our last warranty claim. They are great! Problem is they are backed up with work. Next available appointment is end of June!
I'm not sure what I'm going to do!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:16 AM   #257
Silver Member

Call over to Bunchs RV & Boat Storage they have a name of a mobile repair service they recommend. Not sure how much, not sure if Hymer would cover/authorize it BUT it might be worth it to get back on the road. If the mobile service can identify what you need from Hymer and get it sent to you for them to install ... and quote you a price ... perhaps Hymer would authorize it.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 AM   #258
Silver Member

Quote:

Quote:
Call over to Bunchs RV & Boat Storage they have a name of a mobile repair service they recommend. Not sure how much, not sure if Hymer would cover/authorize it BUT it might be worth it to get back on the road. If the mobile service can identify what you need from Hymer and get it sent to you for them to install ... and quote you a price ... perhaps Hymer would authorize it.
I just sent a message to Bunchs inquiring about the mobile service. I also have a email to Jim Hammill and Mike Snell at Erwin Hymer NA. We will see if I even get a response.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #259
Platinum Member

Default Not Helpful and Borderline Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Have you been reading this thread?
The question was directed to new member rjb66 (who has all of 4 posts on the site) and just purchased a new Activ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb66
Aye...she is pretty isn't she? You didn't want a microwave, power, or voltstart with that did ya? Was getting some stuff to make it a bit more livable, then ran over to Craft Pourhouse next door to drown my sorrows (and use their outlets...)

Looks great and the size is perfect. What's your plan on how you intend to use it? Have a dealer recommendation?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #260
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
The question was directed to new member rjb66 (who has all of 4 posts on the site) and just purchased a new Activ.

Looks great and the size is perfect. What's your plan on how you intend to use it? Have a dealer recommendation?

You asked for a dealer recommendation as if you were interested in purchasing and I'm saying you've got to be some kind of masochist to be considering one of these. Here's what the OP has to say.

Quote:
I wish we could survive a single trip without issue
But hey, it's your money.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote