Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #261
Platinum Member

If you are in California, the absolute best option for Roadtrek/Hymer service, including warranty service, is from Dan Neeley mobile RV service. He is an expert on repairs and service including all the latest technology for Roadtreks/Hymers. He has a schedule on his website showing where in California he will be located.

Home
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
I'm up for a meet and greet!

I took Our Aktiv to Johnson RV for our last warranty claim. They are great! Problem is they are backed up with work. Next available appointment is end of June!
I'm not sure what I'm going to do!
Meet and Greet works for me as well! Been to that Brewery a couple times.
Actually got a call back from Blue dog in Gresham yesterday and they're getting me in this Friday to take a look at everything. We'll see how it goes. So 4DMTNS I may see your Aktiv while I'm there (unless you already picked it up)!
rjb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:28 PM   #263
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb66 View Post
Meet and Greet works for me as well! Been to that Brewery a couple times.
Actually got a call back from Blue dog in Gresham yesterday and they're getting me in this Friday to take a look at everything. We'll see how it goes. So 4DMTNS I may see your Aktiv while I'm there (unless you already picked it up)!
Mine should be there ... it still has to go throigh the pre-delivery inspection before I get to inspect it.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:34 AM   #264
Silver Member

Good News... This Sunday our RV is being transported to a "sister company" in Las Vegas. They are doing a complete inspection and repairing/replacing any items needed. My first gut reaction was this will take several months, but they quoted me two weeks time. Super impressed with the quick response to address my problems with our Aktiv. Hopefully we will get our RV back in perfect working condition!
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #265
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
If you are in California, the absolute best option for Roadtrek/Hymer service, including warranty service, is from Dan Neeley mobile RV service. He is an expert on repairs and service including all the latest technology for Roadtreks/Hymers. He has a schedule on his website showing where in California he will be located.

Home
Unfortunately, he is in such high demand that he is quoting June for an appointment.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #266
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is the Roadtrek/Aims/PowerStar inverter, in various wattages, that has been standard in Roadtrek vans for awhile now. This installation is a little different with the shroud installed on the right side covering the large cables connecting the inverter to the battery bank. What type of inverter do you have?
FWIW, a dealer has advised me that RT is no longer using AIMS to build their inverters and they are using a Canadian company to build them. The problem as I see it is that it's not an off the shelf product and requires a RT facility to effect parts replacement and the labor involved. The travel expense and living expense incurred required for this repair is not covered under warranty.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #267
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
FWIW, a dealer has advised me that RT is no longer using AIMS to build their inverters and they are using a Canadian company to build them. The problem as I see it is that it's not an off the shelf product and requires a RT facility to effect parts replacement and the labor involved. The travel expense and living expense incurred required for this repair is not covered under warranty.
I wonder if it is really built in Canada or is it produced in the same factory in China where the AIMS and Powerstar inverters are manufactured. Are they simply using the Canadian company to source directly from the Chinese manufacturer? Any pictures of this new inverter? There was a Canadian company that owners contacted last year to try to obtain a remote display for the inverter. That company seemed to be the source RT was using for the inverter but at that time it was by all appearances from the same one that is branded AIMS and Powerstar with some modifications for RT.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #268
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wonder if it is really built in Canada or is it produced in the same factory in China where the AIMS and Powerstar inverters are manufactured. Are they simply using the Canadian company to source directly from the Chinese manufacturer? Any pictures of this new inverter? There was a Canadian company that owners contacted last year to try to obtain a remote display for the inverter. That company seemed to be the source RT was using for the inverter but at that time it was by all appearances from the same one that is branded AIMS and Powerstar with some modifications for RT.
You're preobablyspot on. The Canadian "builder" might not actually be building anything at all. First chance I get I'll look at the current version being delivered and provide some photos.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #269
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
You're preobablyspot on. The Canadian "builder" might not actually be building anything at all. First chance I get I'll look at the current version being delivered and provide some photos.
For that matter, it may well simply be a white-labeled version of some completely standard product. It is possible that their only motivation is to have the entry in the parts manual with a SKU that can't be found on Amazon.

Have you ever tried to comparison shop for a mattress? You will discover that no matter what store you go to, you will find unique model names ("Cloudpuff", "Summer Dream") that can't be found anywhere else. They are exactly the same mattresses everywhere, but each chain gets assigned its own model names. This is of course an effort to make comparison shopping impossible. Fortunately there are websites that chart the equivalences.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #270
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMTNS View Post
Mine should be there ... it still has to go through the pre-delivery inspection before I get to inspect it.
AdventureVan Has Arrived | https://instagram.com/p/BTIBiCIFVPb/

Got the call just before noon that my Aktiv was officially received at BlueDog and ready for a preview and last-minute measurements for gear prep before it entered the pre-delivery inspection. Pickup is scheduled for next week, first road trip later that day!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 AM   #271
Silver Member

Campervanguy suggested to get on the Aktiv FB group and tell your issues with the inverters in a post. Steve Michaels, a fellow owner, will get to the bottom of it.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DMTNS View Post
AdventureVan Has Arrived | https://instagram.com/p/BTIBiCIFVPb/

Got the call just before noon that my Aktiv was officially received at BlueDog and ready for a preview and last-minute measurements for gear prep before it entered the pre-delivery inspection. Pickup is scheduled for next week, first road trip later that day!
Sitting at BlueDog right now looking at it on the lot (through the windows, of course)! Looks pretty sharp without the stripe in the granite color, and you have the new long shelf above the dinette, as opposed to the split one I have that sags in the middle and won't lock. Looks like a different counter top and a different texture on the seats as well (at least through the plastic).
rjb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #273
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
For that matter, it may well simply be a white-labeled version of some completely standard product. It is possible that their only motivation is to have the entry in the parts manual with a SKU that can't be found on Amazon.
I'm not particularly concerned about where the inverter is manufactured since these days it seems that quality of the appliance is less dependent on where it's physically built and more dependent on the design specs of the customer and the availability of repair and replacement if necessary by the domestic vendor.

Historically, the inverter was a relatively low power device around 750 watts and its failure generally involved no consequence beyond missing your morning cup of coffee.

With the development of the underhood generator, that's all changed and these converters are now supplied as high power >2k units that also incorporate a shoreside supported charger/converter. It's no longer a convenience, it's a core part of the electrical system.

What concerns me is the way Roadtrek has designed their system which requires that the inverter be operational even if you are connecting to shore power for providing 120V to the coach. This default condition makes no sense to me. I've used inverters from Xantrex (Prosine 2.0) and Magnum (2000) where the transfer switch defaults to shoreside power when off so that in the event of inverter failure, the shoreside power source is still available for the converter/charger part of the unit. But with the Roadtrek setup, if the inverter quits, you can't get shoreside power to the 120V coach appliances like the AC, microwave, receptacles or battery charger. Your batteries can be replenished only by the alternator.

Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a peculiar and counter productive system design.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #274
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb66 View Post
Sitting at BlueDog right now looking at it on the lot (through the windows, of course)! Looks pretty sharp without the stripe in the granite color, and you have the new long shelf above the dinette, as opposed to the split one I have that sags in the middle and won't lock. Looks like a different counter top and a different texture on the seats as well (at least through the plastic).
Ya know ... I didn't bother looking at the table in it's up position or under the plastic on the seats, I was focused on getting my measurements. I did make sure my three omit requests were done and then I headed home. I'm on the fence about the fancy counter, it's pretty but I actually liked the original. I figure I'll get the chance to explore it more when I pick it up.

I hope all works out with your inverter. Have a good weekend.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #275
BBQ
Platinum Member

I know of at least a couple of 3,200AH machines,
and 1,600AH installations are everywhere.

There are so much energy packed into these higher end RVs,
it is only a matter of time before something bad happens.

The problem is not the energy density;
Telsa have lots of power too.
The problem is in the near "Homebrew" status of these installations.
I say "near" because some of those outfitters are only one tiny knotch above "homebrew".

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #276
Platinum Member

My only concern with purchasing a unit from a smaller MFG such as ARV is they are one lawsuit from closing. Some RV MFG's come and go along with their guarantees. When I sold RV's we had two MFG's shut down, no more warrantee except we still honored them at our own cost if they bought them from us. They eventullay reopened after the market got stronger under different brand names. Not as bad as the hot tub business. Its a good idea to do your do diligence in the health and investments of a company. Do they rent or own their shop, have a lot invested in tooling? etc...
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #277

I was saying congratulations but I hadn't read the entire thread and I see you are having some problems. So sorry for some of the issues you are having. I'm sure they will be able to fix hopefully. Keep us posted, and I hope others do also with their units. It really is a nice looking unit, my husband and I really loved it when we saw it at Hershey show unit and were very interested. Really had high hopes when Roadtrek and Hymer paired up, always loved the European models.
cjscott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:04 AM   #278
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
My only concern with purchasing a unit from a smaller MFG such as ARV is they are one lawsuit from closing. Some RV MFG's come and go along with their guarantees. When I sold RV's we had two MFG's shut down, no more warrantee except we still honored them at our own cost if they bought them from us. They eventullay reopened after the market got stronger under different brand names. Not as bad as the hot tub business. Its a good idea to do your do diligence in the health and investments of a company. Do they rent or own their shop, have a lot invested in tooling? etc...
ARV might be a unique situation. Davydd knows more but my understanding is the ARV RV business is a passion project for the owner who has other significant business so he doesn't need to make money in the RV business. That could be good or bad depending on your point of view... passion dies he closes the business or it doesn't need to fund itself so it can last longer supported by more profitable businesses etc.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #279
Silver Member

Another Update:
Hymer just notified us that our Aktiv repairs have been completed and that we should have it returned to us this Friday.

They flew two factory technicians out to Vegas to address all issues.

Through this process they were keeping me up to date on the progress through email and phone calls.

Super impressed with how prompt they have been.

Looking forward to getting it back problem free.
I will post an update this weekend after we get it back.
Navanod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #280
Silver Member

Default Portland Meet and Greet Offer

Great news @Novanod, I also have had an excellent response from Hymer regarding our issues. None of my issues have been as significant as yours so far. I do have what we hope is just a loose fresh water hose connection somewhere under the rig. I have an appointment at Johnson RV in a few weeks to hopefully get this fixed. I've chosen to do all my service at Johnson RV and/or through At Your Service Mobile RV Service & Repairs.

Since receiving The Rig as I call it on 28April I've put more than 2500 miles on it, overnighting more than 12 nights, drive it to work daily, taken it grocery shopping, parallel parked, drove it in tight city streets, jumped in/out of HOV lanes, made three modifications, driven it over Mt Hood in a snow storm, driven it on single lane dirt roads to scout wild campsites, had the TomTom disconnected, had the stereo face plate changed, tested everything except the microwave (gonna remove it), DVD player, and shower. Oh yeah, forgot to fill the propane tank so had to back up over a cement pad and pavers to get the tank filled at Terrebonne Hardware. And, I've discovered the free dump stations with Clean Water Services.

If you and @rjb66 would like to get together for a meet and greet this Monday, June 5 after 6pm At Golden Valley Brewing on Bethany Blvd. I'll be in town. I am sure you guys have some ideas I could borrow from.

Just let me know.

I''m in town every other Monday evening ... otherwise I'm on the road or working until 8:30pm.