Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Not a custom builder but possibly many more layout options than Winnebago offers...

It is a build on the longer Promaster which I would call a major option they have not offered yet. There are 6 floorplans on various size Ducatos in Europe so that opens up a lot of flexibility that no one else is offering in terms of floorplan and vehicle length.

We shall see how well they sell now that they are actually available to order....
Pleasure-Way will not do custom layouts - which seems strange for a non-production-line build system. But being in the construction business I know how small changes can cost huge money. Still a bit of flexibility would be nice - the thought of doing my own 'renovations' to a new expensive RV seems like an oxymoron of sorts.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Pleasure-Way will not do custom layouts - which seems strange for a non-production-line build system. But being in the construction business I know how small changes can cost huge money. Still a bit of flexibility would be nice - the thought of doing my own 'renovations' to a new expensive RV seems like an oxymoron of sorts.
Yes, changes can cost a lot in many products. I think Greg probably said it best in that Hymer could become a class b builder with lots of easily installed options, with factory orders welcomed and quickly delivered. They would not be a ground up, one off, full custom, builder.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Yes, but they are not each called "Grand Canyon". When you click on that "Grand Canyon" page, there are 6 different layouts, but they are on 4 different chassis lengths varying from 496cm to 636cm. One even has 5 passenger seats, not 4. And each of the six has a different model name. Grand Canyon, Ayers Rock, Sierra Nevada, Sydney, Yellowstone, and Yosemite.

It would be clearer if Hymer did what other Euro manufacturers do and labeled them using the length in the name, such as Grand Canyon 496, Grand Canyon 599, Grand Canyon 636, etc.
FYI - I think the Hymer webpage for their "Camper Vans" is undergoing some maintenance and/or updating and their hyperlinks are getting screwed up.

When you used to click on "HYMERCAR with bathroom on a Fiat chassis" you would then get the five (5) models that had bathrooms - Grand Canyon, Ayers Rock, Sierra Nevada, Yellowstone, and Yosemite. Now that click takes you to the Grand Canyon page, but when you click on the "layouts and data" you get six(6) different models, one of which, the Sydney, does not have a bathroom, and is also on the link "HYMERCAR without bathroom on a Fiat Chassis".
Old 10-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Yes, changes can cost a lot in many products. I think Greg probably said it best in that Hymer could become a class b builder with lots of easily installed options, with factory orders welcomed and quickly delivered. They would not be a ground up, one off, full custom, builder.
Modular is the word I think fits best.
If you think of a regular residential kitchen or bathroom all the cabinets are usually in multiples of 16" so you can mix and match to get what you want.
All vans of one manufacturer are essentially the same dimensions so it would seem feasible. Maybe IKEA is onto something...
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Yes, but they are not each called "Grand Canyon". When you click on that "Grand Canyon" page, there are 6 different layouts, but they are on 4 different chassis lengths varying from 496cm to 636cm. One even has 5 passenger seats, not 4. And each of the six has a different model name. Grand Canyon, Ayers Rock, Sierra Nevada, Sydney, Yellowstone, and Yosemite.

It would be clearer if Hymer did what other Euro manufacturers do and labeled them using the length in the name, such as Grand Canyon 496, Grand Canyon 599, Grand Canyon 636, etc.
Maybe that is why they renamed it the Aktiv for over here and all those layouts will just different floorplans on the Aktiv. In any case they build 6 different Ducato layouts on various length vans and these along with others are possible options they may offer over here. We will see how many options they end up offering, we have seen two so far now that this new one appeared...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe that is why they renamed it the Aktiv for over here and all those layouts will just different floorplans on the Aktiv. In any case they build 6 different Ducato layouts on various length vans and these along with others are possible options they may offer over here. We will see how many options they end up offering, we have seen two so far now that this new one appeared...
My understanding is the owner for this longer one is getting a "powered folding couch", like in RT models in the back. Hopefully, this will start up production on the longer Hymer PMs with lengthwise beds, which many seem interested in.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I'm happy to see this new topic split off from Navanod's new Hymer Aktiv purchase topic.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:48 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I'm happy to see this new topic split off from Navanod's new Hymer Aktiv purchase topic.
Thank you Greg and Marko
Old 10-11-2016, 12:32 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Sounds more like a Zion with just the Aktiv bathroom and the dinette.

With the cherry finish, I wonder if she is getting the Zion grade of cabinetry instead of the Hymer's. There is a big difference in the quality and materials of the cabinetry in the Hymer compared to the Zion/Simplicity.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:51 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Sounds more like a Zion with just the Aktiv bathroom and the dinette.

With the cherry finish, I wonder if she is getting the Zion grade of cabinetry instead of the Hymer's. There is a big difference in the quality and materials of the cabinetry in the Hymer compared to the Zion/Simplicity.
To me it sounds more like an Aktiv with a Zion bed in the back...

With Roadtrek it would be difficult to predict what it will look like but there is a cherry interior in the Touring trailers so it is possible they could be using it in the vans also...

https://www.hymer.com/de/service-und...e=998&dl=start
Old 10-12-2016, 04:52 PM   #31
Platinum Member

FYI, here are the layouts and difference sizes from hymercar:

https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/h...-and-data.html

Click on the 360 to see a real van. I like the first tiny one
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
I just read the new owner's (the one with the longer van) specs on her FB page. Outdoor shower, customized cabinets to fit her Instapot, pull out pantry, convection microwave, granite, 2 counter extensions, Fiamma bike rack....the list goes on....
There you go. One of the first Hymer van that got sold with granite countertops, cherry cabinets, convection microwave, power sofa and Ecotrek. Why not call it a Roadtrek then!

From her own words: ...It's a Hymer with a Roadtrek bedroom and galley I would say...

I wish Hymer good luck changing North American RV culture!
..or North American customers changing Hymer's design. Why not?

That said I'm looking forward to see an (original Yellowstone) Hymer on the longer 21' Pro (without all the awful Granite-Cherry-Convection-Power-Sofa BTO work ).
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Until we see the result it will be hard to know if the interior looks like a Hymer or a Frankenhymer...
LOL! Yes I could see JH working on that monsterVan!

Old 10-12-2016, 10:51 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
without all the awful Granite-Cherry-Convection-Power-Sofa
I second that... prefer none of those...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Worse than I thought!

It's a joke!

The new proud owner:

...Thank you. I'm literally the 'Hymer 2.0' concept the CEO talked about at the end of this video
http://youtu.be/QCGzJ9U-G_M
the whole inside will be cherry cabinets, black granite countertops and black leather and the rear will have a normal power sofa and two ottomans that turn into a queen bed, the toilet will be different (not the 'cassette' one they show), will have macerator and gravity option, changed the TV location to the back, adding a window in the galley as well as an outside shower (along w/ the inside one of course) and I'm getting floor and backsplash to match the cabinets and black granite- and will be on the longer 20'11" chassis...

What's the point of offering that kind of BTO build?
-1 Showing the new owners (EHG) they are completely wrong!
-2 Wanting to sabotage the whole project of introducing new (innovative?) products
-3 Saying WTF we're in business to make sales not making a move to get out of the actual prehistoric age of RV design in NA!
-4 Saying: Hey look what the first customer ordered ! Forget the new menu. We are ordering fast food from the corner store ...and selling it at a premium price!

If I would be the new owner I would fire the NA EHG management on the spot!

Maybe the market is simply not ready for this kind of design. Period. ..and the management (Roadtrek's JH) doesn't seem to want to change anything.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:31 AM   #36
Platinum Member

GeorgeB,

If you want to repost these threads with candid comments about various manufacturers on your Facebook page I guess that is your choice. This forum has pretty limited exposure but if things get reposted on open Facebook groups there will be wide exposure. Personally, I guess I will simply keep remembering that my comments here should always be things that I would be comfortable saying to a much larger audience. I forgot that once and it had some ramifications...

No need to remind me that nothing on the Internet is private...

I was surprised to find this thread on your Facebook page, it seems counter to your usual postings of positive info about camper vans.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:01 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
GeorgeB,

If you want to repost these threads with candid comments about various manufacturers on your Facebook page I guess that is your choice. This forum has pretty limited exposure but if things get reposted on open Facebook groups there will be wide exposure. Personally, I guess I will simply keep remembering that my comments here should always be things that I would be comfortable saying to a much larger audience. I forgot that once and it had some ramifications...

No need to remind me that nothing on the Internet is private...

I was surprised to find this thread on your Facebook page, it seems counter to your usual postings of positive info about camper vans.
Sorry, but I always thought that this forum is open to the WWW. I've posted before many Class B Forum discussions on my Facebook page and my Kampervan Flipboard magazine https://flipboard.com/@gogeorges/kampervan-u5qd3sehy. There are no clear indications that this forum is private. No password protected access. The discussions are not restricted to private members like a Facebook group. I've always respected the implied rules of the various forums and groups. I thought that this Forum is meant to influence a broader audience. I was wrong. It will stay private and have limited exposure.

I just removed that post on my FB page and my Kampervan Mag.

I will find a way to voice my opinion on this appalling situation.

I am truly challenged with this special BTO order for that Roadtrek/Aktiv morphed van. It looks like just another trivial event but for me it's bad news that the pathetic North American RV market is not ready to evolve. I was very naive about the possibility that Hymer would be a game changer. With the attitude of the actual management we will have granite countertops and cherry grandma's cabinets for years to come! Even in a Hymer van!

They don't believe in the product they are selling. That's bad.

I still hope that the European top EHG management will find a way to change Roadtrek's culture, but maybe they just want RT to keep the trad B market (because that's what the average customer want) and concentrate on towables and class Cs.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:13 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Sorry, but I always thought that this forum is open to the WWW. I've posted before many Class B Forum discussions on my Facebook page and my Kampervan Flipboard magazine https://flipboard.com/@gogeorges/kampervan-u5qd3sehy. There are no clear indications that this forum is private. No password protected access. The discussions are not restricted to private members like a Facebook group. I've always respected the implied rules of the various forums and groups. I thought that this Forum is meant to influence a broader audience. I was wrong. It will stay private and have limited exposure.

I just removed that post on my FB page and my Kampervan Mag.

I will find a way to voice my opinion on this appalling situation.

I am truly challenged with this special BTO order for that Roadtrek/Aktiv morphed van. It looks like just another trivial event but for me it's bad news that the pathetic North American RV market is not ready to evolve. I was very naive about the possibility that Hymer would be a game changer. With the attitude of the actual management we will have granite countertops and cherry grandma's cabinets for years to come! Even in a Hymer van!

They don't believe in the product they are selling. That's bad.

I still hope that the European top EHG management will find a way to change Roadtrek's culture, but maybe they just want RT to keep the trad B market (because that's what the average customer want) and concentrate on towables and class Cs.
I think you misunderstood my post. Yes, this forum is open to be seen and you are free to repost anything anywhere. I was giving you a heads up that there have been many cases where certain comments posted here have been found to result in people being removed from certain Facebook groups where there are strict rules about what types of comments are acceptable. The wider the audience, the more likely this will happen. If you have no concern about getting booted from Facebook groups that you may have joined to get info on camper vans then go ahead with posting candid comments to a wide audience.

So, this was just a heads up to you so you don't get surprised if you get removed from certain Facebook groups.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:20 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my post. Yes, this forum is open to be seen and you are free to repost anything anywhere. I was giving you a heads up that there have been many cases where certain comments posted here have been found to result in people being removed from certain Facebook groups where there are strict rules about what types of comments are acceptable. The wider the audience, the more likely this will happen. If you have no concern about getting booted from Facebook groups that you may have joined to get info on camper vans then go ahead with posting candid comments to a wide audience.

So, this was just a heads up to you so you don't get surprised if you get removed from certain Facebook groups.
I will get kicked out of Facebook groups if the administrators feel I'm doing something wrong by posting public info. Specially in the NO WHINE ZONES pages !

In the case of that special AKTIV order, the complete info is posted on the customer personal Facebook page that's totally public even if it is also present on a private FB group.

Why are Roadtrek's topics always so secretive? I don't think Hymer is willing to play this game.

I am a former Roadtrek customer and my experience with that company was not very convincing. To the point of cancelling a purchasing contract. I feel this company desperately needs to be more competitive. It needs good industrial designers. It needs efficient open management. It needs a new and convincing culture. Unfortunately I don't see how Hymer will achieve this with the current management that allows such strange moves.

I just hope that Hymer designers (if they exist?) will make a nice and convincing build with this BTO Aktiv order with "cherry cabinets, black granite countertops and black leather rear power sofa". Maybe it will be a winner. For me it's not just an isolated case. It clearly reveals the actual tension between the former company and the new entity. Looking forward to see the outcome of all this.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #40
Site Team

Not to get all legal or anything, but by my reading of the Terms of Service of this site, posters retain copyright to their individual contributions. Therefore, any reposting of a thread would appear to require the individual permission of each contributor.

I realize that the pragmatics of the situation are different from the legalities, and it is good advice to simply assume that on the net, Anything Goes. But it doesn't hurt to state the actual law once in awhile.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote