Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #61
Platinum Member

I think, in the big picture, we have to realize that building RVs, be they class B or trailers, is not really an high volume operation. To me it starts with good design if you want to be flexible. "Design for manufacturing" is a current buzzword, but good companies have been doing the same thing for many, many, decades because it is a good idea. One poster referred to "modular" components, but I would not call it that. Modular is what Sportsmobile does, which is a bunch of standard parts that can be lined up in various configurations. It also looks modular.

In the case of a class b, having different cabinet styles and layouts isn't all that big a deal if you are making them as you need them (Just in time to some, but now also in the heading of Material resource planning). Different finish, just take different stock to the CNC router (as Roadtrek uses). Different layout, just load a different program. What you build will automatically be ordered and picked off the order build sheet information and bills of material. None of the programs or equipment to do most of this stuff is hugely expensive, and payback is really quick in most cases. The hard part is the leap of faith needed to take the initiative to do it, as it is very different from what has been done in the past, and all the issues you need to address to get buy in and get it up and running.

To me, it appears that Roadtrek and probably others, are dumping out new models that are built like the old ones were, with little concern for better assembling, or a flexible optioning. They probably just tell the model shop to come up with something that does "X" and they give them something that works but is inflexible. They need to take a step back and put the effort into the front end of the process, from design, to order processing, to quick turn supply chain, etc.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think, in the big picture, we have to realize that building RVs, be they class B or trailers, is not really an high volume operation. To me it starts with good design if you want to be flexible. "Design for manufacturing" is a current buzzword, but good companies have been doing the same thing for many, many, decades because it is a good idea. One poster referred to "modular" components, but I would not call it that. Modular is what Sportsmobile does, which is a bunch of standard parts that can be lined up in various configurations. It also looks modular.

In the case of a class b, having different cabinet styles and layouts isn't all that big a deal if you are making them as you need them (Just in time to some, but now also in the heading of Material resource planning). Different finish, just take different stock to the CNC router (as Roadtrek uses). Different layout, just load a different program. What you build will automatically be ordered and picked off the order build sheet information and bills of material. None of the programs or equipment to do most of this stuff is hugely expensive, and payback is really quick in most cases. The hard part is the leap of faith needed to take the initiative to do it, as it is very different from what has been done in the past, and all the issues you need to address to get buy in and get it up and running.

To me, it appears that Roadtrek and probably others, are dumping out new models that are built like the old ones were, with little concern for better assembling, or a flexible optioning. They probably just tell the model shop to come up with something that does "X" and they give them something that works but is inflexible. They need to take a step back and put the effort into the front end of the process, from design, to order processing, to quick turn supply chain, etc.
I expect that Hymer has all this in place in Europe and Jim has stated that the Hymer people on site are instructing them in ways to improve quality. I would hope that all the Hymer expertise and manufacturing processes will eventually get the manufacturing here to the same level as Europe but it will take time...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Actually they have two floor plans on the long van, two on the medium length van, and one each on the short and really short vans...
Who else over here builds this many floor plan options?
Yes, you are right. They now have two layouts for the L4 and L5 Ducatos for the Hymercars. They added the 6m (Yosemite) with lengthwise twins this year, like a lot of other manufacturers.

Almost like Roadtrek which has five layouts on the Promaster with 3 choices of finishes. That makes 11 options for the PM! Better than Hymer!

...not counting all the special orders

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Yes, you are right. They now have two layouts for the L4 and L5 Ducatos for the Hymercars. They added the 6m (Yosemite) with lengthwise twins this year, like a lot of other manufacturers.

Almost like Roadtrek which has five layouts on the Promaster with 3 choices of finishes. That makes 11 options for the PM! Better than Hymer!

...not counting all the special orders

If they could get the towing capability up to 3500lbs then I would look at these.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #65
Platinum Member

And the 2.0 "cherry-granite-power-sofa" customer replied on her public post that:
...Well mine is a one-off. The only thing I'm pretty sure will make it over to the Hymer 2.0 is the longer length.

I shared it on my Kampervan page
https://www.facebook.com/kampervanfun/

Relieved
Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually they have two floor plans on the long van, two on the medium length van, and one each on the short and really short vans...

Did notice that one of those floorplans - the Sydney - has no bathroom. Does anyone think there is a market for that "simple" over here.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Did notice that one of those floorplans - the Sydney - has no bathroom. Does anyone think there is a market for that "simple" over here.
I wonder the same thing, the last similar attempt was the Nissan N6...
Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wonder the same thing, the last similar attempt was the Nissan N6...
No toilet in our VW EVC, but we added one (in a cabinet). Best mod we have done. Would not buy next RV without one (cassette is fine with us).
Old 10-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
It all depends on the price point. I'm sure they would be a market for the younger crowd but it would be hard to offer it fully equipped at a lower cost. It's basically a contemporary VW Bus on a Fiat. You can use it as a second vehicle and bring a porta-potty for camping. Like your van BobB.

The pop-up roof with sleeping accommodations for 4 is very attractive but I would definitely go for a version like the Safari Condo MX on the same length chassis but on the high-roof with the cassette toilet hidden in the front "pouf".
see https://www.safaricondo.com/en/motorises_Promaster_MX

Old 10-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Could just do what the 'immigrant' family trucking companies do - cut a hole in the floor just like back home. Sounds like a joke but unfortunately not.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Could just do what the 'immigrant' family trucking companies do - cut a hole in the floor just like back home. Sounds like a joke but unfortunately not.
Truth confirmed, and other groups do this as well. We won't speak of it here.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 AM   #72
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Truth confirmed, and other groups do this as well. We won't speak of it here.
Agreed. x2.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:15 AM   #73

I certainly like the finishes better than what Roadtrek offers. The cabinet latches are much better than Roadtrek also. Hopefully Roadtrek will institute some of Hymer's best/better practices.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:43 AM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim4511 View Post
I certainly like the finishes better than what Roadtrek offers. The cabinet latches are much better than Roadtrek also. Hopefully Roadtrek will institute some of Hymer's best/better practices.
Jim Hammill has stated that the Hymer personnel on site in Kitchener have been providing valuable guidance in improving quality...
Old 10-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #75
Platinum Member

We found out that the new Erwin Hymer NA factory location in Kitchener has been determined. It will be almost double the square footage of the current RT location with land to double again if required.

Also clarified that they will be changing the floor plan similar to the European HymerCar and raising the fridge to not be under the counter.

Also discussed the blank tank/cassette situation and they are looking to design a combination of the 2 systems
Old 10-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisefx View Post
We found out that the new Erwin Hymer NA factory location in Kitchener has been determined. It will be almost double the square footage of the current RT location with land to double again if required.

Also clarified that they will be changing the floor plan similar to the European HymerCar and raising the fridge to not be under the counter.

Also discussed the blank tank/cassette situation and they are looking to design a combination of the 2 systems
Great info...

Are they still going to keep all the van production for both Roadtrek and Hymer in the current plant or is some of that moving to the new plant along with the the towable production?
Old 10-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Quote:
Great info...

Are they still going to keep all the van production for both Roadtrek and Hymer in the current plant or is some of that moving to the new plant along with the the towable production?
I did not ask specifics on what was going to be built where. But the interior of the existing building will be gutted and everything will be brand new. They will be hiring as lots will be happening.

I asked about the towables and they will for sure have the pop-top. Good response at the shows but know that the bathroom free unit was not popular. They are getting lots of feedback to take to the drawing room. It has not been as simple as just copying the European models. They have to adhere to North American regulations for propane, electrical and even cabinet/wood products. Now that they know what was needed for the Hymer Activ, the next products should roll out faster.

The US dealer network has been set up but not announced. This has happened this past month. That's how I found out about the Ontario dealer.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did not ask specifics on what was going to be built where. But the interior of the existing building will be gutted and everything will be brand new. They will be hiring as lots will be happening.

I asked about the towables and they will for sure have the pop-top. Good response at the shows but know that the bathroom free unit was not popular. They are getting lots of feedback to take to the drawing room. It has not been as simple as just copying the European models. They have to adhere to North American regulations for propane, electrical and even cabinet/wood products. Now that they know what was needed for the Hymer Activ, the next products should roll out faster.

The US dealer network has been set up but not announced. This has happened this past month. That's how I found out about the Ontario dealer.
Very good info, I guess it was easier to set up a modern manufacturing facility from scratch than trying to modify what was there. Looks like major investments by Erwin Hymer Group which is good news for the long term for the people in Kitchener, I expect they are glad that the years of uncertainty under the investment group are over...
Old 10-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #79
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks for the interesting info. You mention they will be changing the floor plan similar to the European Hymercar. Are you talking about the extended 21' (6,36m) van like the Yellowstone layout with lengthwise beds?

From the Hymer website https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/h...-and-data.html

Old 10-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Thanks for the interesting info. You mention they will be changing the floor plan similar to the European Hymercar. Are you talking about the extended 21' (6,36m) van like the Yellowstone layout with lengthwise beds?

From the Hymer website https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/h...-and-data.html

I am referring to both 6 and 6.3m European Hymercars. If you look at the 2017 floorplans, the fridge has been relocated. The 3rd photo is the current Hymer Activ. Europe has made the counter smaller but added the flip up extension off the fridge allowing the fridge to be off the ground. This change will appear in North America which I think is great. The 6.3m should be arriving but whether it is the Yellowstone or Sierra Nevada, I don't know. I even asked about a permanent bed (a la Safari Condo )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrandCanyon.jpg (62.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg GrandCanyonPicture.jpg (315.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Activ.jpg (66.8 KB, 10 views)