Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hymer Extended Length Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I like the layout.

I wonder if they are going to build it on the longer chassis.

Here are the models they will likely close from but no info on what might be next for Class B vans. There is info that they will introduce a small Class C.

https://www.hymercar.com/en/models/h...r-camper-vans/
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

This is the Class C brand Hymer has indicated will be introduced over here...

https://carado.de/en/
Old 10-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Info on Hymer plans for North America...

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...rket-5858.html
Old 10-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I like the layout.

I wonder if they are going to build it on the longer chassis.

Just found out that Jim Hammill worked with a Hymer buyer at Pomona for major customization on a factory order. Zion powered sofa in place of the standard Aktiv bed and a build on the longer chassis plus other less major changes...

Looks like this is going to be an interesting new development....
Old 10-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Different layout, different length but a Hymer? Not an EHGNA Roadtrek like a Zion?

No mention of any different layouts at Go Hymer
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Just found out that Jim Hammill worked with a Hymer buyer at Pomona for major customization on a factory order. Zion powered sofa in place of the standard Aktiv bed and a build on the longer chassis plus other less major changes...

Looks like this is going to be an interesting new development....
For real? That's excellent news! Would love to know just how "custom" one could make the Aktiv. Losing the bench seat for a larger fridge and more storage, for example. Or raising the bed slightly higher to fit bikes easier. Hmm...
vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Different layout, different length but a Hymer? Not an EHGNA Roadtrek like a Zion?

No mention of any different layouts at Go Hymer
Yes, an Aktiv on the long chassis with a Zion power sofa in the rear.

This clearly a new development and a great way to give the customer more flexibility...
Old 10-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom View Post
For real? That's excellent news! Would love to know just how "custom" one could make the Aktiv. Losing the bench seat for a larger fridge and more storage, for example. Or raising the bed slightly higher to fit bikes easier. Hmm...
At this point I think you can only find out how much customization is possible by directly contacting Hymer or if you want to go to the top here is the email address Jim gives out for customers to contact him directly...

jimhammill@icloud.com
Old 10-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I was looking at the Hymercar website again. The floorplans have changed in 2017. The Grand Canyon, Sierra Nevada and Yellowstone all have a fridge that is not under the counter. And they have removed the closet/pantry from behind the front facing dinette seats. Raising the fridge is an excellent idea.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I just read the new owner's (the one with the longer van) specs on her FB page. Outdoor shower, customized cabinets to fit her Instapot, pull out pantry, convection microwave, granite, 2 counter extensions, Fiamma bike rack....the list goes on....
Old 10-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Thanks for additional info. Congrats to you on your upcoming wedding!
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

do you have a right hand side blind spot camera?

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I find it very interesting that Roadtrek/Hymer has committed to doing a "special" build.

I have felt for a long time that with modern production methods, MRP, design for manufacturing, etc that class b's could be customized, or probably more accurately selectively optioned easily. ARV does a similar thing, but at the extreme ends of cost, and flexibility. A more "for the masses" type of setup would not have as many choices, but could cover a large amount of possibilities of options and variations. It could also be incorporated into a "quick turnaround" manufacturing system for the non standard products, which is a natural partner with the build to order type products. It all has to start with excellent design work and documentation, that is flexible, quick, and is integrated to communicate with everything needed. Special parts, inventory pulling, etc, can all happen seamlessly once the custom parts list is generated.

I could imagine a pretty good competitive edge for a company that could do a custom optioned class b in 3 weeks, or so. I would also expect there could also be a price premium involved.

These days, it is all about reduction of inventory and unfinished product, with low hold times for everything, to reduce costs.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:14 PM   #14
Platinum Member

If you take a look at a Hymer order form in Europe you see a wide range of options for each model so I expect they have a good system for manufacturing these vehicles with a lot of flexibility for different configurations. If they are bringing this capability to the motorized vehicle plant in Kitchener then we may see more of this flexibility in both the Hymer and Roadtrek brands.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I wouldn't get too carried away with the idea that Hymer is going to become a custom builder. The person that got the change on her van has stated that they agreed to change out the bed to the sofa.

If you recall, early on with the Zions that wasn't an option either. But do to popular demand, they started offering it.

That is probably part of the reason that Jim attends these shows. He gets to hear directly from customers instead of only listening to the dealer chatter.

As far as I can tell, the sofa/bed is the only change. Could be they know this will be a popular request, so this is a way for someone to pay for a prototype. Could be that these vans aren't moving as fast as they'd like (at these lofty prices) and they agreed to this change to move a unit. Not unheard of really.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you take a look at a Hymer order form in Europe you see a wide range of options for each model so I expect they have a good system for manufacturing these vehicles with a lot of flexibility for different configurations. If they are bringing this capability to the motorized vehicle plant in Kitchener then we may see more of this flexibility in both the Hymer and Roadtrek brands.
But my read is those "options" on the "Camper Vans" are pretty basic - fabrics, A/C, vehicle bells and whistles. No layout options. You want a different layout, you get a different model.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
But my read is those "options" on the "Camper Vans" are pretty basic - fabrics, A/C, vehicle bells and whistles. No layout options. You want a different layout, you get a different model.
As I see it, on the Grand Canyon in Europe there are 6 floorplans on various length Ducatos which would open up a lot of options for additional options beyond the initial single floorplan shown on the Aktiv on the shorter Promaster.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I wouldn't get too carried away with the idea that Hymer is going to become a custom builder. The person that got the change on her van has stated that they agreed to change out the bed to the sofa.

If you recall, early on with the Zions that wasn't an option either. But do to popular demand, they started offering it.

That is probably part of the reason that Jim attends these shows. He gets to hear directly from customers instead of only listening to the dealer chatter.

As far as I can tell, the sofa/bed is the only change. Could be they know this will be a popular request, so this is a way for someone to pay for a prototype. Could be that these vans aren't moving as fast as they'd like (at these lofty prices) and they agreed to this change to move a unit. Not unheard of really.
Not a custom builder but possibly many more layout options than Winnebago offers...

It is a build on the longer Promaster which I would call a major option they have not offered yet. There are 6 floorplans on various size Ducatos in Europe so that opens up a lot of flexibility that no one else is offering in terms of floorplan and vehicle length.

We shall see how well they sell now that they are actually available to order....
Old 10-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Here are all the changes she got with a build on the longer Promaster...

It's a Hymer Aktiv but fully customized: Hymer bathroom and front floor plan (a nice work space behind captains chair) with the same motorized couch that is in the back of a Roadtrek Zion, added an outdoor shower, custom cabinet sizes (one to fit my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker), pull-out pantry, they are bringing the compressor fridge up to waist height, convection microwave, extended cab (20' 11"), cherry cabinets, granite counter tops with two extensions, Fiamma bike rack, foldable Oru kayak, added another window in the galley, dimmer on interior lights and moved the tv to the back- all thrown in to convert me from the Lexor. We are calling it the Aktiv 2.0 and I'll be doing a video for corporate.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:07 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
As I see it, on the Grand Canyon in Europe there are 6 floorplans on various length Ducatos which would open up a lot of options for additional options beyond the initial single floorplan shown on the Aktiv on the shorter Promaster.
Yes, but they are not each called "Grand Canyon". When you click on that "Grand Canyon" page, there are 6 different layouts, but they are on 4 different chassis lengths varying from 496cm to 636cm. One even has 5 passenger seats, not 4. And each of the six has a different model name. Grand Canyon, Ayers Rock, Sierra Nevada, Sydney, Yellowstone, and Yosemite.

It would be clearer if Hymer did what other Euro manufacturers do and labeled them using the length in the name, such as Grand Canyon 496, Grand Canyon 599, Grand Canyon 636, etc.