Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
So here comes this B to B opportunity which would require some smart rewiring with relays. With Powersaver B-B Li is completely isolated from main power.

For driving:
Alternator > B-B > Li
Alternator > AGM

After driving
Li > B-B > AGM

Big issue would be the need to reset the DIP switches but if price is right having 2 units would solve it potentially moving the project to ARV territory cost wise.
That is exactly where I was going and the dip switches were the catch. This will be the last stage of the project. I really don't need better charging while driving. I don't move much.

100ah lithium may be trivial to an all electric van but it doubles my amp hour access which is a game changer to a propane, 200 watt solar, and generator RV. I should be able to leave the sat TV and DVR on standby when I want to.

Two B-B chargers are no problem. Dry camping where I want to be has become a $1000/mo savings. At $500/mo I'd pay it and skip this hassle but those days are gone. As Booster says, bringing a 100ah battery indoors is no problem but I'll never have to do it in Phoenix.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Isn't that silly idea exactly what you have done with the condo?
You know what I meant. I didn't remove them. I am tired of many of you with opinions without experience in lithium ion batteries. If you had them, I would respect your opinions more.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The Espar proposal solves a different problem than your electric heating pads. Specifically, it would permit reasonably long-term outside cold-weather storage without shore power. I realize that you do not acknowledge this as a valid goal. Nonetheless, others disagree.

If I were interested in Lithium at this point (which I am not), I would likely do both.
And how stupid is that turning on a diesel burning Espar for a few months in the winter 24/7 because you don't have shore power? Just about every house has a 15A outside plug and that's all you need. If you had lithium ion batteries you would not armchair your opinions so much and think about solving them.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"BTW, in my current plans for a new Class B van"

David I missed it, or lousy memory. Why a new B?

Thanks.

Bud
Probably because of the same reasons as the Solar Womp guy. I've had our B for 3 years and 50,000 miles. I like to try new things. One of those is a 144" wheel base Sprinter I've dubbed it "Mies" the architect, Mies Van der Rohe, who coined "Less is more." I'm attempting it and it will be nothing like anything on the market today.

I'm in no hurry. We have a busy spring with three different RV rallies followed up by maybe another trip to Alaska in the summer. Then the itch will get real.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:09 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
And how stupid is that turning on a diesel burning Espar for a few months in the winter 24/7 because you don't have shore power? Just about every house has a 15A outside plug and that's all you need. If you had lithium ion batteries you would not armchair your opinions so much and think about solving them.
I realize that you do not acknowledge this as a valid goal. Nonetheless, others disagree.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I realize that you do not acknowledge this as a valid goal. Nonetheless, others disagree.
You have a diesel Espar for heat. Turn it on all winter 24/7 and then report back to me with your other valid goal.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
You have a diesel Espar for heat. Turn it on all winter 24/7 and then report back to me with your other valid goal.
Why would this hydronic system needed to be on for the whole winter 24/7? Damage occurs at 4°F and below so use a modern technology of a smart phone to turn it on and off for these days only. I mentioned that before so please read my post and “report back to me”
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Probably because of the same reasons as the Solar Womp guy. I've had our B for 3 years and 50,000 miles. I like to try new things. One of those is a 144" wheel base Sprinter I've dubbed it "Mies" the architect, Mies Van der Rohe, who coined "Less is more." I'm attempting it and it will be nothing like anything on the market today.

I'm in no hurry. We have a busy spring with three different RV rallies followed up by maybe another trip to Alaska in the summer. Then the itch will get real.
Davydd-i thought you would say-Because I Can.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:16 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Inside implies keeping your B conditioned and warm 24/7. Good luck with that idea.

When you live full time that’s not much of a stretch.

Inside is highly useful in the situation where you are inside and the RV is warm but it’s freezing outside. It’s not going to be a significant impact on your heating budget.

Plus if you’re leaving an RV in the cold for an extended period of time it doesn’t matter if they are inside or outside, you have to take care of it.

So I’m not sure what you’re saying here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:18 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Default Hymer new Lithium/AGM combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Don't know about Hymer (how easy is it to remove?) but our thought is to remove the lithium and bring it indoors when the van is in storage. The AGM should be able to handle most any temperature.

This is a good point. Though it’s more inconvenient than it should be, many on this forum seem to think it is impossible.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #51
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post

+1

Old 02-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #52
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

That sounds like a Winnebago Revel

Old 02-24-2018, 05:01 AM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Damage occurs at 4°F and below l

This is speculation. Nobody has provided a single bit of evidence to support this claim. Only a limit in warranted or advised use.

Oh, and by the way, since there are at least six different types of batteries that have been discussed, you need to be specific.

Or are you saying none of Tesla’s cars work?

Old 02-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #54
Platinum Member

The original -4*F minimum we information we got was through davydd from ARV stating actual damage, not just warranty. IIRC davydd has confirmed that statement with Elite Power Solutions, who provides the ARV batteries, about the -4*F storage damage. They make the systems, so I would tend to believe what they have to say, as it is to their detriment to give this spec out.

It is likely that this document is typical of Elite's position on storing colder than -4-*F.

http://https://www.elitepowersolutio...anual-mrha.pdf
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why would this hydronic system needed to be on for the whole winter 24/7? Damage occurs at 4°F and below so use a modern technology of a smart phone to turn it on and off for these days only. I mentioned that before so please read my post and “report back to me”
I live where January is an average high of 12 degrees F. You would have to run it 24/7 when you put it in outside storage. So are you going to monitor temperatures 24/7 and depend on a smartphone when maybe you are half the way around the world in Australia as we were this January?

I fail to understand why you don't see the logic in simple and passive heating pads and arguing for a Rube Goldberg arrangement now with smartphone communication and turning on and off a diesel ignition which, BTW, depends on electricity so you better be plugged into shore power.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:18 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
I thought I like to try new things would suffice, but yes, I could say because I can.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
I live where January is an average high of 12 degrees F. You would have to run it 24/7 when you put it in outside storage. So are you going to monitor temperatures 24/7 and depend on a smartphone when maybe you are half the way around the world in Australia as we were this January?
I fail to understand why you don't see the logic in simple and passive heating pads and arguing for a Rube Goldberg arrangement now with smartphone communication and turning on and off a diesel ignition which, BTW, depends on electricity so you better be plugged into shore power.
And I fail to understand why you can't see that some B-van owners have either different spending priorities than yours or have no access to storage with shower power or can’t park at their house or apartment.

In a previous post I mentioned that in your situation and for folks with access to shore electric heating make sense.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
When you live full time that’s not much of a stretch.

Inside is highly useful in the situation where you are inside and the RV is warm but it’s freezing outside. It’s not going to be a significant impact on your heating budget.

Plus if you’re leaving an RV in the cold for an extended period of time it doesn’t matter if they are inside or outside, you have to take care of it.

So I’m not sure what you’re saying here.

What I am saying is exactly what you stated. "You have to take care of it."

The discussion was not full timing but winter storage and not occupying your B and I have stated many times it is not an issue for most of the United States especially if you full time. I think you would have to be a special kind of idiot to encounter anything anywhere that you can damage lithium ion batteries because of cold weather.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
And I fail to understand why you can't see that some B-van owners have either different spending priorities than yours or have no access to storage with shower power or can’t park at their house or apartment.

In a previous post I mentioned that in your situation and for folks with access to shore electric heating make sense.
If that is your concern then lithium ion batteries are not for you if you can't make arrangements for electricity. Get serious. If anyone wants the advantages of lithium Ion they will be smart enough to solve it but not with Rube Goldberg diesel ignition and smartphones. Didn't I already say you would also need electricity with that too?
Old 02-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #60
BBQ
Platinum Member

Even the lowly Winnebago has heating pads.

Not for the battery,
but for the black tank and grey tank.

It is controlled by a thermostat.
They claim it uses very little battery
and it can stay on indefinitely with just a 100w solar panel.