Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #41
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscott123 View Post
OMG this is the best Hymer can do is copy Winnebago's Travato's? First they do one similar to the 59G, and now the best they can do is a twin of the 59K with this new Sunlight? GET WITH IT HYMER. What is it that the Hymer's and all the other European models do so well, they have large garages. That's what we have been patiently hoping for, but NOOO they just continue to copy the American models. Very disappointed in the lack of imagination to just copy Winnebago's 59K with the new Sunlight V1. When they start bringing in the ones like they have in Europe that utilize small spaces to the utmost, with large garages (done by raising the bed), etc. etc. I may trade my B for one. They need solar, and they also need to have larger tanks. What do people with B's do, they boondock. Sorry big fail for lack of imagination. I mean come on, that's what they're known for, stop selling out. I really liked the Activ when I saw in in Hershey as far as looks goes and the quality of the seats inside, etc., but until they give me ones similar to the ones they sell in Europe, it's a big fail. You want to just copy those models, great, but you need to have the ones YOU ARE REALLY KNOWN FOR with the large pass through garage storage. We had such big hopes, very disappointed.
I'd much rather have a Hymer Van S or 314 than a Sunlight or even an Aktiv.

Are these vehicles legally importable? If so, how much would that cost?

Would the Hymer Van S or the Hymer 314 pass U.S. emissions testing, etc?
JeanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
I'd much rather have a Hymer Van S or 314 than a Sunlight or even an Aktiv.

Are these vehicles legally importable? If so, how much would that cost?

Would the Hymer Van S or the Hymer 314 pass U.S. emissions testing, etc?
No, the European vehicles are not importable. For North America they will need to build on Sprinter and Promaster cutaway chassis purchased in the US and Canada that are certified for US and Canada. One issue at the moment is that Mercedes does not offer the 4x4 on cutaways in North America so the Hymer 4x4 Sprinter Class C can't be built here.

As I mentioned, it will be a big step for Hymer to produce Class C models over here. I suppose they could import the Class C camper body shells rather than start up production here which requires a lot of time and investment.

They are over a year into this and maybe to the point where they can build the Hymer Class B models at reasonable volumes with the right level of quality (but that has been questionable at times). I wouldn't try to predict when Class C production could start but it is surely in the strategy since they would be big sellers.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #43
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
No, the European vehicles are not importable. For North America they will need to build on Sprinter and Promaster cutaway chassis purchased in the US and Canada that are certified for US and Canada. One issue at the moment is that Mercedes does not offer the 4x4 on cutaways in North America so the Hymer 4x4 Sprinter Class C can't be built here.

As I mentioned, it will be a big step for Hymer to produce Class C models over here. I suppose they could import the Class C camper body shells rather than start up production here which requires a lot of time and investment.

They are over a year into this and maybe to the point where they can build the Hymer Class B models at reasonable volumes with the right level of quality (but that has been questionable at times). I wouldn't try to predict when Class C production could start but it is surely in the strategy since they would be big sellers.
Oh well. Thanks for the info
JeanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:03 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, the European vehicles are not importable.
For that matter, I don't think you can even import a Canadian vehicle and owner operate it in the U.S. and visa versa.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:06 PM   #45
Platinum Member

What we have here is a lack of reading comprehension ability. Mr CJScott.

First you said: "What do people with B's do, they boondock."

I responded: "... nowhere near all B owners are boondockers."

Then you posted:

Quote:
So you are incorrect, the State Park Campground in Florida was stock full of class B motorhomes.
No, I was 100% correct. Nowhere did I say that NO Class B people boondock. I said that not all of them do. (I don't)

Just because you boondock, it does not mean everyone does.

THUS, some do and some don't. Class B manufacturers naturally cater to both groups. This is why Roadtrek/Hymer offers the options of solar, underhood generators, large battery banks and lithium batteries. And people get to choose to buy what they need for their personal usage.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #46
Platinum Member

I think we have to define boondocking better. I don't see a state park that probably had water and toilets, maybe electricity, as boondocking, especially if there were that many other campers around.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:43 AM   #47
BBQ
Platinum Member

"boondocking" is a much-abused word.

in another forum, I was having a "discussion" with a guy... that discussion got really stupid and we were going nowhere fast... until I found out that he was overnighting at walmart and he called that boondocking.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think we have to define boondocking better. I don't see a state park that probably had water and toilets, maybe electricity, as boondocking, especially if there were that many other campers around.
If you are referring to me, I said I boondocked ALSO on my last trip which I just returned from, I stayed at Walmarts, I stayed at Welcome Centers. But I have gone into areas with no hookups in state parks or primitive woods for a few days to "boondock". I also stayed in a State Park (this one did have electricity and water but many I stay in do not) and I also stayed in a full hookup, this past trip. Meaning I do many things and Class B owners many times are on the go.
cjscott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

"boondocking" is a much-abused word.

in another forum, I was having a "discussion" with a guy... that discussion got really stupid and we were going nowhere fast... until I found out that he was overnighting at walmart and he called that boondocking.

I can go into the woods where no one is for a couple days or a state park with no hookups at all for a few days and call it boondocking, and I can stay at a Walmart or in a Welcome Center and call it boondocking.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
What we have here is a lack of reading comprehension ability. Mr CJScott.

First you said: "What do people with B's do, they boondock."

I responded: "... nowhere near all B owners are boondockers."

Then you posted:

No, I was 100% correct. Nowhere did I say that NO Class B people boondock. I said that not all of them do. (I don't)

Just because you boondock, it does not mean everyone does.

THUS, some do and some don't. Class B manufacturers naturally cater to both groups. This is why Roadtrek/Hymer offers the options of solar, underhood generators, large battery banks and lithium batteries. And people get to choose to buy what they need for their personal usage.
I don't want to fight with silly people over this. For someone who is pointing out my "reading comprehension" you may need to look at your own, my point wasn't about boondocking. And I certainly don't want to get even farther off topic with some of the other replies about what is boondocking or not. Going somewhere with no hookup is what I mean, that may mean a Walmart for the night, or a couple of days in the woods or a state park with no hookups. My point was about the European models like Hymer's with the large garages which they are really known for, and stating they are really nice, an untapped market here, and something I am looking for, instead of Roadtrek/Hymer playing it safe and just trying to compete with Winnebago's Travato's. The European companies do it a lot better as far as space goes IMO when it comes to smaller units, B's, small C's, B+'s, etc. I don't want to argue over your silly side topics that were not my point, just bc you like to argue. I don't care a hoot if you like them or not or whether you boondock, or care to fight over how many B owners boondock, why go there. I am looking for more storage in my B and larger tanks than what is offered now from Hymer in the United States. I think MANY feel the same way when they heard of Hymer being able to be purchased here they were hoping for the ones with the garage. Have a nice day.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #51
Platinum Member

If you think the definition of boondocking will start some controversy, wait til you try to discuss the Hymer Class C models you want to have over here and draw the wrath of the Class B purists who try to keep this forum pure and free of discussion of anything but Class B camper vans...
Old 05-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can go into the woods where no one is for a couple days or a state park with no hookups at all for a few days and call it boondocking, and I can stay at a Walmart or in a Welcome Center and call it boondocking.
You certainly can define boondocking any way you desire. However, toward the goal of keeping everyone on the same page in a forum, it's useful to adopt agreed on definitions. I think it's generally understood that staying in a relatively primitive and undeveloped spot is described as boondocking. Staying in a state park with no hookups at all is more aptly described as dry camping and not to be confused with parking overnight at Walmarts which is called crashing.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 PM   #53

[QUOTE=cruising7388;56822]You certainly can define boondocking any way you desire. However, toward the goal of keeping everyone on the same page in a forum, it's useful to adopt agreed on definitions. I think it's generally understood that staying in a relatively primitive and undeveloped spot is described as boondocking. Staying in a state park with no hookups at all is more aptly described as dry camping and not to be confused with parking overnight at Walmarts which is called crashing. [/QUOTE

I've been camping for 20 years, done all of the above and don't care. This is argumentative nonsense, I've seen it called all things, I wasn't talking about boondocking, it's off topic and lets get back to talking about Hymer and the Hymer B+s now we can really get into an argument lol. If anyone wants to address me, let it be about the Hymer's with the large garages.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #54

Quote:
If you think the definition of boondocking will start some controversy, wait til you try to discuss the Hymer Class C models you want to have over here and draw the wrath of the Class B purists who try to keep this forum pure and free of discussion of anything but Class B camper vans...
Tell me about it LOL
Old 05-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
You certainly can define boondocking any way you desire. However, toward the goal of keeping everyone on the same page in a forum, it's useful to adopt agreed on definitions. I think it's generally understood that staying in a relatively primitive and undeveloped spot is described as boondocking. Staying in a state park with no hookups at all is more aptly described as dry camping and not to be confused with parking overnight at Walmarts which is called crashing.
I would agree with those definitions. I can't remember anyone ever saying they were heading for the "boondocks" and then going to Walmart. Same goes for being in a campground with 300 of your "closest friends".

Dry camping, off grid camping, non hydro camping (if you happen to be from the north), no hookup camping, all can be done anywhere, including the middle of a busy city, which is hardly the boondocks.

I can't imagine "boondocking" in the middle of of a big city, I would rather be in the boondocks.

Maybe the definition needs to be if anyone would hear you scream if a grizzly got you. If nobody hears you, it is boondocking.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 AM   #56
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=cjscott123;56823I've been camping for 20 years, done all of the above and don't care. This is argumentative nonsense, I've seen it called all things, I wasn't talking about boondocking, it's off topic and lets get back to talking about Hymer and the Hymer B+s now we can really get into an argument lol. If anyone wants to address me, let it be about the Hymer's with the large garages. [/QUOTE]

I've alerted 911 because I'm deeply concerned that you may be holding your breath waiting for some member to participate in the vagaries of some cockamamie garage
Old 05-02-2017, 02:35 AM   #57
Platinum Member

Where did the "garage" term come from anyway? First time I have ever heard of the rear storage in a b or any other RV (other than a toy hauler) called a garage. If in the UK, it would be close to being a "boot" though.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:51 AM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Where did the "garage" term come from anyway? First time I have ever heard of the rear storage in a b or any other RV (other than a toy hauler) called a garage. If in the UK, it would be close to being a "boot" though.
Hymer calls the storage under the bed that accessed from each side a garage, of course they are Germans not Brits...

https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...partments.html
Old 05-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #59
Platinum Member

And, of course, completely impossible in a Class B... (and we all know that there ain't no such thing as a "B+")
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:28 PM   #60
Platinum Member

In Europe Hymer sells Camper Vans, Semi Integrated Motorhomes, and Integrated Motorhomes. None of the Class B, Class B+, Class C, and Class A designations in Europe which means they must have something else to have silly arguments about...