Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Bought the first unit that was produced. Canceled a Roadtrek BTO to buy this van! It's awsome. It has the best layout developped in Europe by Adria 15 years ago (kitchen on the "right" side) and the FLEX (truly comfortable bed) system makes it really versatile. I use all the time in the city to carry stuff and construction material. Nice and efficient contemporary interior design by Safari Condo with the front dinette area which is one of the best mobile cocktail lounge!
I have admired the of that particular model and other Safari Condos for awhile.

Big question is NO U.S. dealers. Are you located in Canada or U.S? If in U.S. how did the buying process go and how do you deal with any RV specific service?
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #62

@GeorgeB that photo is fantastic. Thanks for the gallery, too. I'm now following your Flipboard channel.

I exchanged emails with Safari earlier this week and am talking with them today.

Troy, hoping the US market starts to appreciate loft beds and/or bike garages
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I need that grill and badge.

Eric
Got it at Mick's garage in Ireland. Cheap, quick delivery in Canada by mail. The badge was found on eBay UK. Very easy to install.

FIAT Ducato 2006- Grille
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
I have admired the of that particular model and other Safari Condos for awhile.

Big question is NO U.S. dealers. Are you located in Canada or U.S? If in U.S. how did the buying process go and how do you deal with any RV specific service?
Safari Condo is located in Canada near Quebec Recreational vehicles (RV) and Motorhomes | Ram ProMaster - Mercedes Sprinter - GM Savana/Express

Contact for US orders denis.messier@safaricondo.ca
Very reputable company that manufactures the Alto trailer in the US.

But yes, you have to deal with other US dealers for repairs. It's a commitment, but they sold a lot of Alto trailers in the US, and no one is complaining.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyd View Post
@GeorgeB that photo is fantastic. Thanks for the gallery, too. I'm now following your Flipboard channel.

I exchanged emails with Safari earlier this week and am talking with them today.

Troy, hoping the US market starts to appreciate loft beds and/or bike garages
Thanks,
Yes I hope the North american class B market starts offering a wider range of quality (and affordable?) contemporary campervans. Let's say I feel we need to go beyond the grandma's cherrywood kitchen RV full of exterior swooshes and swirls !
Old 07-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Got it at Mick's garage in Ireland. Cheap, quick delivery in Canada by mail. The badge was found on eBay UK. Very easy to install.

FIAT Ducato 2006- Grille
I'll need the aluminum colored piece that grill attaches to, also. I'll keep looking.

That's a nice van you've got, by the way.

Eric

P.S. Here it is

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:

Contact for US orders denis.messier@safaricondo.ca
Very reputable company that manufactures the Alto trailer in the US.

But yes, you have to deal with other US dealers for repairs. It's a commitment, but they sold a lot of Alto trailers in the US, and no one is complaining.
GeorgeB - thank you for the links and info.

So, did you buy as US resident and if, how was it?

How was Safari on price negotiations i.e. any discounting from MSRP?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
GeorgeB - thank you for the links and info.

So, did you buy as US resident and if, how was it?

How was Safari on price negotiations i.e. any discounting from MSRP?

I live in Quebec. You have to bring your US vans to the Safari Condo plant because of DOT regulations. You can negociate but it's factory direct so the MSRP doesn't include the dealers profit like you have with other manufacturers. The price of our van was 43 000$ CAD so figure a 46 000 $ CAD base conversion cost. With a strong US dollar you will get a good deal! But figure at least a year wait time. Like all succesful class B manufacturers their vans are in high demand.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I'll need the aluminum colored piece that grill attaches to, also. I'll keep looking.

That's a nice van you've got, by the way.

Eric

P.S. Here it is
Thanks,
It's a one piece unit with the aluminum painted part and the black grill.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:26 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
I live in Quebec. You have to bring your US vans to the Safari Condo plant because of DOT regulations. You can negociate but it's factory direct so the MSRP doesn't include the dealers profit like you have with other manufacturers. The price of our van was 43 000$ CAD so figure a 46 000 $ CAD base conversion cost. With a strong US dollar you will get a good deal! But figure at least a year wait time. Like all succesful class B manufacturers their vans are in high demand.
GeorgeB - thank you for that info.

They seem to be really nicely designed and built. I have seen a few in my travels, but all the GM conversions, no Sprinters or Promasters.

Their name pops up a few times in the threads here. Sounds like they could grow (make more conversions) just in Canada. Still wish they would set up some dealer relationships with US dealers. A potential US owner (even me in eastern PA - 8 hour drive from Quebec) has to think "what do I do if there is a warranty issue?". Either drive to Quebec and have it fixed for free under the warranty or pay someone here to do it, who is not familiar with that brand RV.

I think they could give RT, Winn, and PW a run for their money here in the U.S.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:36 AM   #71
Platinum Member

Agree BobB
Old 07-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #72

At first, I loved the interior finish and the floor plan of Safari Condo. When I contacted Safari Condo early this year, I was told that I need to buy a Promaster in US and bring it to Canada and let them covert it. I thought that I do not have enough cash to go through this process. I was concerned that there seems to be several unknow factors, like loan, export/import, license, sales tax, not to mention the waiting time. I was also told that no one has gone this process to get Safari from US yet. I wish they have set up dealerships in US.
BBahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #73
Bronze Member

Anyone want to guess the price of the Hymer Grand Canyon if it does become available in the US? I'm guessing that the price might be substantially higher than the Travato? I hope that this layout is adopted soon by other class B manufactures. Those big swing open plastic windows are awesome. I want to get a class B with good ventilation and having those windows is a must for me. Also a must have is the all weather plumbing- this Hymer seems to have exactly what I'm looking for minus the 4x4. My guess is the Hymer will be north of $120K ?
RickNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Yes, it is going to be priced at the top of the Promaster models.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNV View Post
Anyone want to guess the price of the Hymer Grand Canyon if it does become available in the US? I'm guessing that the price might be substantially higher than the Travato? I hope that this layout is adopted soon by other class B manufactures. Those big swing open plastic windows are awesome. I want to get a class B with good ventilation and having those windows is a must for me. Also a must have is the all weather plumbing- this Hymer seems to have exactly what I'm looking for minus the 4x4. My guess is the Hymer will be north of $120K ?
FYI - The price of a 2015 HymerCar Grand Canyon (at TravelWorld in UK) with the pop-top is £49,879 with VAT. A straight £ to $ conversion at today's rate would be $77,464.

Now all those certifications, U.S. mods, factory setup, shipping certain components has to cost something, but what?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #76

I talked with a (the) Hymer USA rep last week. He said the base price was about $106k and it has basically no options, so MSRP as sold is likely to be essentially that.

My one major wish: a more flexible bed setup. I can't tell how well a bike actually fits under the bed. It looks like the front wheel needs to be removed, taller bikes may still not fit, both wheels need to be removed, and/or bikes may block the bathroom door.

I'd love to see an option for bed rails instead of fixed storage, especially if they would install rails at 2 heights (~2' as bench seat(s), ~3.5' as bed(s)). That would enable a massive open storage area, traveling with bench seats or even a larger dinette, and sleeping above fully-assembled bikes. It's easier to add my own storage when I need it than it is to remove Hymer's.
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #77
Platinum Member

I wonder why they've only got one floorplan.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #78
Bronze Member

I agree that storage area could be better designed for bike storage- Im not an engineer but it would seem like a good idea to incorporate some modular engineering where the bed could be adjusted to different heights and the side storage/wardrobe area could be removable. I don't understand why they don't make the travato an all weather coach- living in the sierra we need this feature- the ground clearance of the Travato is a big problem for me too.
RickNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:37 PM   #79
Silver Member

Looks like they updated their USA website: HymerCar USA

Their Facebook page is back up too: https://www.facebook.com/HymerCar/
Nomad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #80
Platinum Member

"Why don't they make the Travato an all weather coach".. I think even if they did, they wouldn't market it that way for warranty reasons.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote