Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Default I Just saw Bigfoot!

Ok, well not THE bigfoot, but A bigfoot Class b.
And I bought it.
So HI everybody! I am a first time rv/motorhome owner and discovered that I picked a pretty rare one.
It needs a little fix-up, but i would love to hear your feedback on a couple of things.
The 3-way refrigerator takes so long to get cold, that i am not sure it will do me any good, and I am thinking of replacing it with a compressor fridge.
is it normal to take 24 hours to get cold?

Any suggestions on a compressor fridge replacement for a Dometic RM2202?
has anyone added the heat package to the duo-therm roof air?
is it worth it? how warm/hot does it get?

what spares do you guys carry? mechanical or rv spares?
thanks
Zenmasterpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: I Just saw Bigfoot!

They are pretty rare.

re: the fridge - most RV'ers will run the absorption fridge at at least overnight to get it cool. It helps to stick an icepack or two in it. My van is always plugged in at home so I just set the fridge to electric the day before we plan to travel. I've had 4 absorption fridges and the only major problem was one that got too cold and would freeze everything. I had to replace the thermistor.

Other members will have some advice re: compressor fridges. I've never had one.

I carry spare fuses and bulbs and a small bag of tools. Duct tape and wire can come in handy for emergency repairs.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

go to Roadtreks website. 3 modelshave 3 way fridge-6 models have compressor. they use norcold.

this might work for you

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/N ... fault.aspx

Novakool also makes some you might use.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I wouldn't get too excited about switching to a compressor frig until you find out how much power you use, how you charge, etc. Compressor frigs are great, we have had one for a long time and wouldn't go back, but you have to be sure you have enough power to run one, and enough charging to recover capacity under all conditions.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Welcome. I also would wait on the fridge. If it ain't broke etc... Can it be driven with fridge on gas without it blowing out ?My old van cannot and I must set it to 12 volt while driving. It's a drag when I forget to switch it back to gas and run down the batteries. My new to me camper van has a fridge that runs without blowing out. I do have a little compressor fridge in the old van that I run 24/7 with the help of a 155 solar panel and 225 amp hours of agm batteries. Runs great and cools down quick. Compressor fridges make a little noise for those who must have absolute quiet when sleeping.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote