Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default I saw a Bigfoot

I saw a Bigfoot in a parking lot at Crater Lake.

No, not Sasquatch

This kind of Bigfoot:

Notice the recessed awning. Very nice.

Bigfoot Industries no longer makes a Class B motorhome. Does anyone know which years they did make them?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I did a little research:

According to the Bigfoot Owners Club website the Class B units were made only in 1996 and 1997.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Re: I saw a Bigfoot

Sad to see Bigfoot RV went under.

Auction is tomorrow.

http://www.timelinesales.com/auction.htm

Must be very difficult for all the employees who lost their jobs to see it all end like this.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Gold Member

Don't think I've ever seen a Bigfoot before. Nice looking B.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #5

i LOOKED ONLINE i FOUND THE COMPANY MAKING BIGFOOT, ABOUT 31 YEARS NOW. THEY MAKE MOTOPRHOMES (on Ford E450 chassis), TRUCK CAMPERS, TRAVEL TRAILORS (#$%^$#@ CAPS) But know B's, unless you order one, custom.

http://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfootrv_whats_new.html

Rinkman1
rinkman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You'd never know by looking at their website but they have gone out of business.

Quote:
B.C. RV maker Bigfoot goes out of business
Downturn in U.S. was death knell for Armstrong manufacturer

Darron Kloster
Victoria Times Colonist

Friday, November 21, 2008

One of Canada's largest recreational vehicle manufacturers has closed its doors after 31 years, with sources citing the "unprecedented stress" of economic conditions in the United States.

Bigfoot Industries, based in Armstrong, ceased to exist Friday, with a spokesman for the company saying only the company had "officially closed."

The plant in the Okanagan, about 65 kilometres north of Kelowna, made fibreglass-moulded fifth-wheel trailers, holiday trailers and truck campers and had about 200 employees - with about one-third of those already laid off in June.

Arbutus RV and Marine Sales Ltd., which sells Bigfoot lines at five Island locations and is the largest seller of Bigfoot products in Canada, said yesterday it would be working closely with an appointed receiver "in liquidating this unique and quality-built Canadian product."

Arbutus owner Craig Little said Bigfoot sold about 70 per cent of its product in the United States, but the closure of several dealerships because of softening demand amid the economic meltdown forced the Armstrong company to buy back all unsold inventory. With the Canadian dollar slipping far from par with the U.S. greenback, the difference essentially forced the company to close.

Little said Arbutus RV will add several Bigfoot units to its inventory and offer three-year extended warranties on the product.

Bigfoot's closure was the second shock to the North Okanagan region this fall after Lavington Owens-Illinois, a glass container plant, shut its doors and cut 300 jobs in October.

Bigfoot Industries suffered a serious setback in the spring of 1998 when Terry Mayall, who founded the company, and two directors died in a plane crash near Moses Lake in Washington.
Many brand new units have turned up on Repo.com http://bc.repo.com/browse/RVs The first one I saw sold was a 4000 series unit that would have had a price of $170,000 on a dealer lot last summer. It sold for $101,000 on repo.com - that's a good discount.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

I'm sorry. I looked at their web page, and looked at message from the president dated Jan. 2009, but it posted before the 2009. I'd like to look the RV Show at the Bigfoot, or the company. -> Markopolo
Ron
rinkman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Like I said - you wouldn't know they have closed by looking at the website. They really should put a note there. It's the responsible thing to do.

The only reason I know is because I've been looking at them for a year. The factory closure pushed me to buy a used one two weeks ago. It's a "fixer upper", lots of things to fix. Even though they're made in Canada, Bigfoot RV's can't be imported back into Canada from the U.S. They never got on Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeVehi ... ion5_1.htm

So I figured they'd get harder and harder to find and I'd never get one. It's amazing how I can justify things!

Another high quality manufacturer that went out of business - "Chinook" - units have held their values even though the factory closed 4 or 5 years ago.

Even though I'm moving to a "C" Class B Forum will remain. I'm still passionate about B's.

Julie - if you catch this post - maybe you shouldn't let Chino see the desk in my "C"!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Mark Holmes will be opening a Bigfoot service shop. Here's his website: http://www.holmesonbigfoot.com and a copy of what he posted on the Bigfoot owners forum.

Quote:
Hello to you all. We will be opening a Bigfoot service shop for all of your Bigfoot service needs.
Service as follows:

-Mobile and In Shop RV Repairs & Maintenance
-Fiberglass and Gelcoat Repairs
-Repairs to Woodwork and Cabinetry
-Detailing of RV’s and Boats
-RV Customization
-RV Parts and Accessories
-Insurance work
-Free Estimates

This service is provided by past employee’s of the company who know your units. The exterior repairs will be done to the original Gelcoat spects, not paint. Please contact me for service needs. http://www.holmesonbigfoot.com Pictures of damage may be requested so we can offer you a general quote.
Thank you in advance.
Mark Holmes
Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

To heck with Chino, I want the desk!!

JV
Old 03-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #11
Platinum Member

It comes with 8 mpg !
Old 03-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
It comes with 8 mpg !
Oh... never mind!

We're still keeping an eye out for a small used travel trailer (like a Casita or a Scamp) that we can gut and make into a mobile office. I think that would work the best for us because we can set up the office and leave everything in place. In the B we have to set up the computers, then take them all down again when he's done working. It works... but it's a big PITA.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

While we were out this past 3 weeks, we saw a trailer/5th wheel Bigfoot in a parking lot in Deming NM (I think).
Sorry no pics. No idea if it was made by the same outfit that made your C.
I seem to recall seeing a van conversion like the one in the pic above as well but we
can't remember where we saw it. The name always jumps out at you.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
ANNOUNCEMENT

January 25, 2010

We are pleased to announce that Bigfoot RV is now under new active ownership, and that we will soon begin production of our high quality Travel Trailers & Truck Campers at our facility in Armstrong, BC.

Our experienced Bigfoot staff & management are preparing to supply our Bigfoot products to the North American market in the very near future. In addition, we will make the supply of fiberglass parts for existing Bigfoot RV’s a priority, as we realize that this has been a difficulty for current Bigfoot Owners & service centers. To further support our network of current Bigfoot Owners, our experienced service staff will also be available to service existing Bigfoot RV's.

We sincerely appreciate all of the interest expressed by our loyal Bigfoot Owners & Customers in having our carefully designed, well-built products available once again. We assure you that we share in your desire to have Bigfoot RV’s continue in the tradition of providing recreational vehicles of the highest caliber to our dedicated and discriminating Customers.

We are currently seeking to establish authorized distributors in both Canada & the USA, and will provide further information regarding our operations & product availability in the coming days.
Immediate inquiries can be submitted to bigfoot@bigfootrv.com
Hmmm, Travel Trailers & Truck Campers, no Class C's or B's mentioned in the press release. Still, it is good to hear that the brand is coming back.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
Platinum Member

That's interesting. I wonder if they have all the engineering info from their previous RV lines
built over many decades? So they can make exact fit replacement parts for the existing
fleet? That would be a bonus for you and shezonit for sure.
We've been on 5 long haul trips in the last year and a half, and have seen several BF trailers and
at least one truck camper in our travels. Maybe that's a less "crowded" segment of the business
with less competition for new owners and expansion? The self-propelled RV biz seems to be so full
of players, it's a wonder more of them don't go under.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
Platinum Member

YES!!! I hope Bigfoot can get back in the business and maintain their good reputation. I have still never come across another Bigfoot van owner-- just Mark's one photo and a mysterious post on the Bigfoot Owner's Club site from a couple that had one but are not members... uh, kinda like me? -- I have one, but not a member.

People in Arizona mostly chuckled over the name and the little cartoon Bigfoot in the logo. No one down there has heard of them, except a couple Canadians recognized the brand.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:45 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Hey Maren ! Here's to always being able to get spare parts, and never needing them!!!
Like I said, I've seen some TTs and a pickup truck camper, but never a class B version.
Maybe later this year?
Will be trying to get out your way, but not until September, after Labour Day.
Put the kettle on, please.....
Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I had to laugh when I looked at this picture again (I still have never seen another Bigfoot B in person). Anyway, this one was missing the RR wheel cover..... When I drove fron MT to AZ in October, arrived and discovered.... I was missing the RR wheel cover!? I got on ebay and had a replica replacement in 4 days, for $12.95 plus shipping (so I got two of them, to mitigate shipping. I've only seen one other picture of a BF B online, and it had teal blue graphics. I can't find it now. So I look at this one now and then....
HAPPIEST NEW YEAR,all.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I was thinking, with the date of the pic--- this could be mine-- before I bought it. Nope--mine doesn't have a vent on top. I want one, though. Probably a Fantastic. They are fantastic.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
Platinum Member

For some more company...........

Here are two photos from the Bigfoot Owners Forum Gallery: http://www.bigfootowners.com/

They are titled "A very rare Bigfoot".

and another: