Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default I think I found a feasible solution...

I think I found a feasible solution to the issue of a relative coming with me who finds a "B" stifling. I currently own a travel trailer which is about 6000 pounds as per the scales. An upfitted Transit can pull 7000 pounds, has an OEM towing brake controller, and the proper adapter for the trailer.

When she wants to come along, I'll just drag the travel trailer behind the "B". Otherwise, I'll just take the van solo.

How is this for a solution for a family member who might be too claustrophobic for a van?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:52 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: I think I found a feasible solution...

I'm not sure if an upfitted Transit could tow that much

Maybe it can but it seems like a lot to me. I used this calculator - http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-tra ... t-tt.shtml - to figure that my van could tow around 3,600 lbs comfortably. The max trailer weight listed for my van is 6,000 lbs in the brochure.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Roadtrek literature says we could tow 8100#, but when I do all the weights and loads, it is much closer to 3500# for us. 07 C190P Roadtrek
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:09 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I think I found a feasible solution to the issue of a relative coming with me who finds a "B" stifling. I currently own a travel trailer which is about 6000 pounds as per the scales. An upfitted Transit can pull 7000 pounds, has an OEM towing brake controller, and the proper adapter for the trailer.

When she wants to come along, I'll just drag the travel trailer behind the "B". Otherwise, I'll just take the van solo.

How is this for a solution for a family member who might be too claustrophobic for a van?
sometimes the things we do for love. how about an ltv- or a small class c. it's a compromise-a lazydaze might be good
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:53 AM   #5
Platinum Member

You can keep someone very happy with just a small, light trailer. A T@B is a good option and tops out around 1800 lbs. Light weight and aero shape should make an easy tow. Another option would be a 13' Scamp - around the same weights and aerodynamic too.

If you have unlimited funds, an Airstream Bambi would be cool. A bit heavier, but nowhere near your limits.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:24 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Good point. I will doublecheck the measures and make sure the 7000 pound figure is -after- the upfit... I see it on the Ford site as before, so this is significant.

I always have the alternative of having bed space in the cargo trailer that I plan to buy for storage and to hold the solar panels. That is going to have an RV-style door on the side, and the drop-down gate in the back, mainly intended for the renaissance faires, but also useful for a bug-out run. Buying one of those with an air conditioner would be good enough, since when the family member is with me, we will be at FHU sites as opposed to my style of dry camping.

I did look at a lot of class "C"s. There are no LTV or PW dealers within reasonable driving distance. For a short "C", most were 24 foot Sprinter based models, and the RV dealerships would be happy to special-order an E-350/E-450 model... but with far less of a discount. One dealership about 300 miles from where I was had a lot of fairly low priced E-350 "C"s, but I am not a fan of rubber roofs. Of course, there was the fact that a "C" is an obvious motorhome, and there was a noticeable fatigue factor with a "C" that wasn't present with a "B".
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote