Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Ideas for Traveling with Dogs

Any suggestions on how to safely leave your dog in the RV when it's hot outside. I've considered running the generator with the AC on but looking for alternatives.
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

With as many generator failures that are posted on here, I would not trust my dogs life to the generator by itself. I might consider having both the generator and the engine running the chassis A/C at the same time.
Also, there are temperature sensors available to keep track of the temps in the MH on your smart phone. Good if you remain relatively close.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Travel following the proverbial 70º temperature. That means time of year and where you go. You might get ambushed occasionally with high temperatures but that is what campgrounds with shore power are for. A ceiling fan and a well ventilated van can sometimes suffice for short excursions outside the van but plan on going places where you can take your dog with you.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Yes, if you can stay in mild temps, then a cracked window or two and roof fan will generally keep the interior within a few degrees of the outside.

But in many areas this time of year, you'll need ac. And as already pointed out, a failure in a closed up van won't work unless you're only going to be gone a few minutes.

Also, does your dog bark? Sometimes passersby (with misguided but perhaps good intentions) will hear a dog bark inside a properly vented van and think it's a deathtrap like a car might be. Wouldn't want someone breaking in unless my dog was really in distress.

I would suggest planning you trip to dog-friendly destinations as much as possible. Santa Fe NM and Salt Lake City are two we found exceptionally pet friendly.

I find it strange than many of the most pet-unfriendly places are out West. Sometimes only allowed in kennels at rest stops and restricted from many trails. Probably due to bad experiences with owners who do not pick up, but extreme none the less.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Things I do to make it safer for my dogs:

Look for shady parking spots (pay attention to how the sun will be later in the day)
Set a temperature for the fan to run
Open a window on the non-sunny side (so the fan can draw the air through)
Had my driver and passenger windows tinted with ceramic tint
Put up window shade in front windows and windshield
Use insulated window covering on sunny side (I made them using warm window)
Use a temperature sensor which notifies me when the temperature hits the limit I set
Plenty of water in a bowl that refills itself

I don't totally trust the temp sensor, although it's pretty reliable and you can check the temperature, but it doesn't work if you don't have cell service. Sometimes I worry and return early only to find them napping and very comfortable. I did swap out my fan for a better one for my dogs. Sometimes I skip planned hikes or outings because I can't ensure the RV will stay cool enough and that's part of having pets with you.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We take them with us too, a lot of places allow dining on patios with dogs. I'm not a big shopper but very often shops will permit dogs too. Many National Parks allow dogs on paved paths, my dogs have seen the Grand Canyon.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote