Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
...some put guests or kids in a tent.

You will have to make the seating a priority- we chose the PW because it only has the 2 seats up front ( and our sideways rear seats are not "legal" ).
Having only 2 seats up front allows the coach to be more open-the RT designs with 3 or 4 seats make up storage by cabinetry floor to ceiling.

rear sofa/bed conversion- we tried and i did not find comfortable.

the electric models have less or no storage underneath- and you need power to move it- I recall you can move a jammed sofa by removing a few bolts.

in normal use many of us leave the rear made up as a bed

I am wondering if you wouldn;t do best with a class C- you will get more square ft per $, more seating and sleeping options, bigger fridge.

a 2004-ish chinook glacier xl might be a match for you- ford E450 chassis- great build quality.
we came close to buying one of these, but in the end ease of parking and driving won out ( this allows my Spouse to do solo trips)

mike

Mike, I actually have a class c toy hauler right now. It's just to big since I've decided now I want to be a snow bird. So I'm selling that to someone who has stopped by a couple times wanting to buy it. My toyhauler is 31' and just to big to drive long distances. Plus it's a 2006 and if I travel I would prefer something newer with a warranty. I have looked at other small Class Cs but I want to be able to boon dock and be able to park in one parking spot. I love everything about the For BT Cruisers except for the bed having to be a couch in the middle of the couch. But that's why once I saw a friends 1999 Dodge RoadTrek I knew I needed to forgot about the smaller Versatile and ONLY go with the 210 Popular. I know it will still be small but most of the time it will be just me using it. Being so I don't want to lose out on space having 4 seats upfront. I need the biggest I could get which is a 210 Popular.
tracyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #22

Also even though my toy hauler is 31' foot the front part of it is only 21' foot so it would be about the same with a 210 Popular. And I think I will have more storage space at least inside the RT. My toyhauler doesn't have any tall cupboards in it which was the only thing i didn't like about it. The RT has at least one tall cupboard in it that I can hang clothes in. Then I just plan on buying a trailer for the RT when I need to haul stuff for my business. So I will be going from 1 long piece to 2 pieces. AND I can get a trailer long enough where I can put my Gem in it. (which is like a golf cart but street legal)
Old 05-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #23
Platinum Member

most builds on a chev are rated 5000/500 towing- but check that on any specific model

ALSO check the GVWR

many B's are marginal once you have 3 adults and a can of soup in there....add 300# for a full water tank and it's easy t go over...never mind clothing and a full pantry kit.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #24
Platinum Member

sportsmobiles site says

transit/promaster/sprinter/chevy/old style ford

they say they do chevy still
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
most builds on a chev are rated 5000/500 towing- but check that on any specific model

ALSO check the GVWR

many B's are marginal once you have 3 adults and a can of soup in there....add 300# for a full water tank and it's easy t go over...never mind clothing and a full pantry kit.

What I would need to haul in a trailer for my business would be really lightweight. Nothing heavy.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
sportsmobiles site says

transit/promaster/sprinter/chevy/old style ford

they say they do chevy still
Yeah but did you see the prices for them? Their 90K and that doesn't include and bathroom, fridge, furnace, bathroom, AC, etc etc. They offer an optional porta-potty. Umm no I'm not dealing with a porta-potty. LOL

It would good for someone who was to tall for a regular van though.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:42 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyc View Post
Yeah but did you see the prices for them? Their 90K and that doesn't include and bathroom, fridge, furnace, bathroom, AC, etc etc. They offer an optional porta-potty. Umm no I'm not dealing with a porta-potty. LOL

It would good for someone who was to tall for a regular van though.

Have you even looked thru the site? they install regular bathrooms with tanks like all van rv's. they install every item you find in any van madr by any manufacturer. you choose what you want.

as far as price-have you looked at the price of a roadtrek 210. way over 110,000 thousand if not more.

You did not say in your original post 80,000 was the max you would pay.

If thats the case and you want chevy -used is what your getting
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I'd just go for a Travato 59K and call it done myself. Any money left over (assuming possible) would be used for a 2000 watt Honda generator, and a front hitch receiver (so I can carry a spare tire there.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
I'd just go for a Travato 59K and call it done myself. Any money left over (assuming possible) would be used for a 2000 watt Honda generator, and a front hitch receiver (so I can carry a spare tire there.)
Does someone sell a front hitch receiver for Promasters?
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I found this for front receivers for a Promaster, hopefully there's something helpful there.

Front receiver hitch - Ram Promaster Forum
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:29 AM   #31
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyc View Post
Hi I have a question for you guys.

If someone gave you up to 80K to purchase a non-diesel Class B van (with no money refunded if not spent) which Class B non-diesel would you purchase (new or used) Thanks, Tracy
Can that amount buy a quality custom conversion on a used van on my side of the U.S.?

Jean in MA
JeanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Big Dodge Xplorer.... the extra wide, extra long one! I am not sure when they stopped production, but I would definitely get one of them, put in a new engine, and drive train, as well as have it totally redone.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
I found this for front receivers for a Promaster, hopefully there's something helpful there.

Front receiver hitch - Ram Promaster Forum
Thanks Bruceper. I don't need a front hitch but thought it'd be worth knowing about if one was available.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote