Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #1

Default I'm going to be looking at 1998 Coach House. Any advice on what to look for?

Hi Gang,

I'm going to be taking a second look at a 1998 Coach House.
3500 Dodge chassis.
42K miles,
Generator is stuck at 109 hours.
The interior dash airflow selector is broken and is stuck on defrost.
Air conditioning works in the rear.
It pulls to the right when you apply the breaks.
I haven't driven it on the highway yet.
The interior is in very good condition.

It's been out of use for a few years but it all started up without any issues. However, on the third time starting the generator it gave a little reluctance. After a bunch of other tries, it kicked back in.

Is there any advice you can give me before I go down for a second look?

Thank you in advance,
~Olive
Olive Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Taking some cues from your post... that you're in Conn. and going 'down' to look at it... I presume it's the one listed on CL in NJ?

Here's my advice... take cash. Check out the frame where the front clip attaches to the van unibody. If it shows significant rust, walk away. If that's clean... if it otherwise runs well, and drives well and you can live with the layout and the interior is in good condition: for what they're asking you can do a LOT of mechanical work and still be ahead. If it's in good mechanical and cosmetic condition, you could flip that van for as much as $20k +/- and you'd likely spend that much for another with 42k miles on the drive train.

You'll likely want to replace all of the fluids, belts, and have the hoses checked over... do a tune-up on it, have the bearings greased and the brake work done. Plan that the batteries will probably need to be replaced. Cummins-Onan generator work shop hours are $135.

But frankly... you can do a LOT of work for the extra $10k you'd have to spend on another van... AND you'll know your van is reliable when you have that work all done.

If the drivetrain is sound and the chassis isn't rusted, it looks like a pretty nice buy to me.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #3

Thank you, HepCat!

You're thinking along the same line as me. If I put the money into the camper it will still be a great bargain. I'm bringing my husband with me and I'll have him check all that you mentioned. I very much appreciate your advice. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

~Olive
Old 05-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #4

I should say that I'm not looking to flip it. It will be my first camper van and I look forward to wandering around in it. But, I do want my wanderings to be carefree and not on the end of a tow truck...LOL
Old 05-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You're welcome. And I understand the 'not flipping it' thing. But it's nice to know that you've potentially got some equity available in a depreciating asset should you need it.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #6

Default my 96

Hi. I am looking at a 96 coach house on a dodge. It has 72k miles and I was wondering what a good price for this rig would be. Everything seems to be in working order! Also, what is the area underneath that I need to check/walk away from if it is rusted?!?!?!

Thanks guys! new member here
hopapoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You mention it has set up for awhile, the gas could be degraded and causing problems for your generator. I recommend throwing a coupele of cans of Seafoam gas additive in, leave it for an overnight stint, then fill the tank with gas. The other items you mention are easily repaired. You might want to check the headliner for any water marks. They have some real technicians on the forum who are always ready to assist. Look ast some previous Posts and you will see some amazing things. Ron
Old 09-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopapoh View Post
Hi. I am looking at a 96 coach house on a dodge. It has 72k miles and I was wondering what a good price for this rig would be. Everything seems to be in working order! Also, what is the area underneath that I need to check/walk away from if it is rusted?!?!?!

Thanks guys! new member here
Check my couple of posts above. The Dodge chassis main failure points are in the front where the suspension attaches. That area tends to rust out. Walk away from any Dodge van with significant rust issues there.