Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #1

Default Initial advice

Hello. I am starting to think about getting a camper van. I see a lot of models and details about a number of vehicles and build-outs. The Metris vans look great and grab my attention, but they seem expensive for what you get. What are the best small van designs that are reliable, on the smaller side and not onerous to drive? How old/used is okay to go where repairs won't be much of an issue? Is there better value in buying something used or are the problems worse than the savings? What are the best websites for looking for used camper vans?

For context, we love camping and are 100% comfortable in a tent, but as we get older sleeping in a bed after cooking over and watching a campfire is more and more inviting. I am in good shape and we love to hike as well and an overnight or two on the trail after parking the van is not out of the question. We like the idea of vans with a sleeping area that pops up and want to be able to cook and eat in the vehicle. We definitely want enough power to run a microwave and TV. A sink/outdoor shower set up would be cool, but we don't need a toilet or anything. Going to national parks and other natural areas with restrooms are probably the kind of lifestyle we're looking for. An awning or screen house that can create a "porch" would be ideal. Most of the time it would be just me and my girlfriend.

Any thoughts on where to start would be appreciated.

Thank you.
khp3655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The Pleasure-Way Tofino or its predecessor the P-W Traverse might be worth a look. They’re built on short half-ton vans with the basic layout of the old VW Westfalia but larger and more modern. Can seat or sleep up to four in a pinch, but very comfortable for two.

Pleasure-Way has a better-than-average reputation for quality.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

suggest you look at as many units as you can, this will show typical features and availability

also youtube, you can watch how easily the salesperson moves around inside while demonstrating the features

we looked at about 30 rv's new and used

consider the chassis domestic, imported , gas, diesel and etc

ours is a 2006 Pleasure Way built on a 2005 chev. fixed by anyone anywhere with parts from napa. 15 ish MPG, easy to drive easy to park

other units may have a parts chain stretching across oceans or dealer only service esp with modern emissions/engine controls

We like the idea of vans with a sleeping area that pops up

these are great for MPG, but not as great for cold/hot or noisy campgrounds. a fixed height also allows passenger to make sandwiches in the galley or use the can while rolling
sportsmobile does cool pop-up conversions

and want to be able to cook and eat in the vehicle.

we have 2 gas burners in our van and the reviled Dometic 3 way fridge
also use a cassette feu outdoors on the picnic table for stinky fish or onions

We definitely want enough power to run a microwave and TV.

microwave a challenge- plugged into shore power, generator or quite expensive battery and inverter
our tv is 12volt dc native samsung so runs off RV battery

A sink/outdoor shower set up would be cool

many have outdoor wand shower, good for dogs, muddy boots, cleaning fish
almost all have a shower inside- some have a "wetbath".
ours is an aisle shower with a pan which fits into the taste drain. we don't use due to condensation.
We use campground shower, lake or outdoor shower wand

we have a 28 gal water tank, with black and grey waste tanks

we are good for about 5 or 6 days off grid for food stock, water, energy and laundry- we plan on those intervals

but we don't need a toilet or anything.

yes you do
at 4 am and it's cold who wants to get up and out... with a toilet you get up, go and back to sleep - this became essential when I hit my 50's

Going to national parks and other natural areas with restrooms are probably the kind of lifestyle we're looking for.

many national forest campgrounds have only a vault

An awning

yes, many vans use a fiamma F45 or similar. we rarely used ours and I didn't care...but on our recent month long trip we used frequently- glad we have it

we rented a van in ireland before we considered an RV here at home- we learned alot by experiencing that, and then by looking at domestically available rv's

here is a small option just FYI:

https://www.jucyusa.com/

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I’d disagree that you have to have an on-board toilet. We managed without for years, and we’ve yet to use the one in our Roadtrek. I don’t really mind the 3am potty runs.

On the other hand, there are places you can’t go unless you are self-contained, including a few CA beach campgrounds and some BLM dispersed camping areas in AZ and CA. We’ve also run across the occasional public toilet that’s just nasty.

A porta-potty with a pop-up privacy enclosure works some places (but it won’t get you into self-contained-only spots).
Old 08-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’d disagree that you have to have an on-board toilet. We managed without for years, and we’ve yet to use the one in our Roadtrek. I don’t really mind the 3am potty runs.

On the other hand, there are places you can’t go unless you are self-contained, including a few CA beach campgrounds and some BLM dispersed camping areas in AZ and CA. We’ve also run across the occasional public toilet that’s just nasty.

A porta-potty with a pop-up privacy enclosure works some places (but it won’t get you into self-contained-only spots).
Porta-potties and outside pop-up enclosures don’t work so well in route in the winter or inclement weather in parking lots, Harvest Host sites, dispersed sites, encountering nasty public toilets or winter camping. Kind of limits you in when and where to go.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #6
Bronze Member

We've been our Roadtrek for about two years, and here are some initial observations:

We never have used the (two burner) propane stove inside. We are often in warm weather and between the lack of counter space (which further is reduced when you use the burners) and heat build up, we prefer to use the convection/microwave option. Or outdoor grill.

We have a three way fridge, which just went toes up. I'll replace with a compressor model. From all reports it cools faster and more reliably.

We haven't, nor intend to camp without shore power, so the whole propane option is a bit of a waste on us. Once I convert the 'fridge, I am considering taking the propane tank out completely for the sole purpose of reclaiming it as storage space.

As far as the toilet goes, I am an average size guy and find the toilet a bit cramped to sit down in. I typically prefer just heading towards the bath house if not too far. It is nice to have the toilet even when just heading down the road and stopping for a quick pit stop without having to look for a gas station or whatever.

I don't use the shower. While nice to have, again, too cramped to use on a practical basis.

I do like the onboard generator. Good back up (just in case) and have used it when parked for a few hours here and there. Not so much for extended or boon docking.

All that being said, take a hard look at what type and in what kind of climates you plan on traveling and that should guide you as far as options.
Kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #7
Platinum Member

A long time ago.....we started tent camping. Even did an army pup tent for 2 in Maine and the Catskills (rain!). That tent was maybe 3' high at center. Got bigger tents over time. Eventually bought an inflatable mattress for the back of our RAV4 (did Chaco Canyon in 2008 that way). When we got our 97PW in 2016 we really got back to traveling and camping. Rarely have shore power.
Being now in my early 70s, some observations:

I like sleeping on a decent mattress.

I like having a contained toilet when we're on the road, at trail heads, and for my many night time trips. In a nice campground with flush toilets, I'll use them if they're clean (I haven't during Covid, though).

We cook inside on LP, morning coffee, breakfast and dinner. Even when it's warm (we're in AZ).

I navy shower every morning in, yes, a cramped space. Our old PW still has the sloped sides of the van......so it's not ideal.

My 3-way fridge is stock...24 yrs old. When it dies I'll probably go with compressor but it will be a large expense due to the need of more electrical.

I like how everyone is different in their needs and mine are just mine.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
Platinum Member

A few ideas we have in our heads, given we currently own a Class B van. It must have a queen bed (not a puzzle bed; we're so done with puzzle beds), a wet bath with a sink for washing bathroom hands, a kitchen sink, a cooktop (induction is preferred), at least 400Ah of battery and preferably more, a 3Kw inverter/charger, alternator and solar power for recharging, heat pump, good-sized fresh / grey / black tanks, and decent storage that would ideally allow us to put a pair of bicycles inside. A quiet generator that burns the same fuel as the vehicle is optional, but not required. Cabin heater must burn the same fuel as the vehicle. Ideally, the van makes its own hot water as we drive and can keep it warm with an adjunct DC electric heater. No propane on board is ideal. We'll want a danfoss-compressor-based fridge, but it would only run on DC power. For length, we'd love to keep it 22' or less. Oh, and keep it simple. No touch-panel firefly control center, no macerator pump, no electric steps, and no electric shades. All that junk does is break down anyway.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:38 PM   #9

Thank you all for the initial advice. It will give us some things to think about.

A few other clarifications. We don't mind pit toilets for a couple of days. And stopping at rest areas and coffee places when driving is fine with us. Heck, we still camp far out in the woods for a couple of nights a year (and the Catskills are a favorite!). We do tend to cook a lot in our microwave, but don't mind having to hook up to power for it to work. We can, and do, get by on a camp stove and fire when needed.

Bed comfort and drivability are high on the list, along with reliability. Smaller and nicer is more appealing to us than larger.

Is there a price point where Class B vans get good vs buying lots of problems?

Thanks again.
khp3655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:37 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I have a 2019 Mercedes 2500 High Roof diesel with 17K miles. It has everything that you are looking for and more.
Give me a call if you want to talk.
Curt 415.785.3757
ableami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #11

I see you are in Virginia. You might want to consider attending the Hershey RV show in a few weeks and sit in and explore as many vans as you can.
https://www.largestrvshow.com/
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #12

Off topic, as a newbie I want to point out, this thread is a perfect example of the kind and friendly responses this forum offers. In time I'll be brave enough to ask questions thanks to the tone set here
mrsmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

We are former tent campers who now travel in a Class B. I am now at an age where a comfortable mattress is a requirement if I want to be able to hike the next day. Also, indoor plumbing is really nice, especially when it is below zero outside (and many campground facilities are closed). Think about how you will use your van and what seasons you travel. We are 4-season campers so robust heating, adaquate insulation and 4x4 important to us (also, batteries capable of running systems when not plugged in). In nice weather we spend most of our time outside - cooking, eating, use outhouse etc. But we definitely also enjoy nesting in our cozy van when the weather is not so nice.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmoon View Post
example of the kind and friendly responses this forum offers.

Welcome to the Forums

it's a cult...we draw you in with kindness....

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote