Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 01:06 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Smile Insect screens for promaster van doors.

Hymer's lower cost Promaster vans (Axion, Banff, Sunlight) don't include bug screens. RV sales staff told me to "go to a hardware store". Pppthhh. Since the Hymer Aktiv includes both side and back door screens, at least it could be offered as an option. Hymer needs to up its game to match Travato camping features.

For those of us who stubbornly march to a different drummer, I just found a place selling Promaster bug screens! https://vanupgrades.com/products/pro...-user-friendly

"Van Upgrades" is offering Promaster rear door screens for $420 and side door screens for $300. [see attached photos] Neither are sliding as found on the Aktiv, but at least I won't have to go to a hardware store and try to create a big zipper screen from scratch.

It appears to me that buyers have noticed the lack of development and are shying away from low priced Hymer vans, especially the tiny Axion. Fretz RV puts the same new Axion up for auction on eBay every month or so. Bids never reach $50K and never get close to "Reserve Price" and it never sells. Expecting buyers to create bug screens doesn't help.
DougB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back door screen.jpg (60.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Side door screen.jpg (39.4 KB, 27 views)
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:28 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Those prices quoted seem really high. I don't have anything to base this on, but at that price I would be looking for a DIY method. Ron
Old 10-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Insect screens for promaster van doors.

I installed one of those zipper bug screens on my side sliding door. They use the door seal gasket to attach screen. Be warned they are very difficult to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I am picking up my Axion in just over a week, and the side sliding door bug screen is available installed for $800, the kit is shipped to the dealer from Canada.
kmrotterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There are factory screens for the Axion, but as you pointed out, they are not included. I only know this because they are mentioned in the owner's manual. I contacted Carado, and they said to have the dealer get in contact with them. Since I do not yet own an Axion, I'm not sure of cost or if they are sliding (my guess is not sliding).
Old 06-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Best Van Screen Door

Earlier this year FitRV did a blog posting about a very good side door screen from a Canadian company. This is much better that what I installed on my van because it has a magnetic closure feature.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the...-a-camper-van/
Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Interesting product. Thanks.
I really want the convenience of the sliding screen.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
Bronze Member

I have a 2018 Carado Banff and really want a screen door. I DO NOT want a zipper, as in time it will cause problems, I’m hoping to find one with magnets.
I did not know one was available from the factory, through the dealer, as an option. I will contact my dealer and ask about one.
Does the factory option one use a zipper or magnetic closures?
Toolman0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:45 PM   #9
Bronze Member

I just look at the Carado Bannf owners manual and thee is nothing about screen doors in it, then I read the Axion manual and it mentions it there.
I will contact Carado and ask them directly and report back
Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
Bronze Member

I heard back from Carado (Hymer), they do in fact offer a screen door for the Banff as well as the Axion. I contacted my dealer who know nothing about it. He is going to contact Carado and get me the details
Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Yes I knew about the screen from Carado, but after checking with it further, you know that it is the magnetic screen kit, not the sliding door screen. For the prices they're asking, I'd rather get something from Amazon and do it myself.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Really? How much do they charge? I haven’t heard back yet. I actually prefer the magnetic closure over zipper, too much bending when inside the vehicle.
And as for sliding, I’ve seen too many damaged screen doors when the van door gets closed while the screen door is closed.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman0114 View Post
Really? How much do they charge? I haven’t heard back yet. I actually prefer the magnetic closure over zipper, too much bending when inside the vehicle.
And as for sliding, I’ve seen too many damaged screen doors when the van door gets closed while the screen door is closed.
I guess you are right about the sliding doors being damaged, because my dealer said that they simply removed the sliding screen doors on floor models because customers kept breaking it and causing it to come off the tracking system.

My dealer quoted a fee of $800 to have it shipped and installed by them.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #14
Bronze Member

I’ve seen a company that is selling theirs for $800 USD just for the kit, not installed, or shipped. So I guess $800 installed isn’t too bad, but still very expensive.
The other issue with sliding screens is dirt gets into the lower track and they bind and jam up, and when forced to open they pop off the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotterdam View Post
I guess you are right about the sliding doors being damaged, because my dealer said that they simply removed the sliding screen doors on floor models because customers kept breaking it and causing it to come off the tracking system.

My dealer quoted a fee of $800 to have it shipped and installed by them.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:57 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Screen door - Ram Promaster Forum

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #16
Bronze Member

My dealer called and said the price is $795 CDN plus installation.
Being they have never done one he couldn’t quote me an exact price but says to install one on a Roadtrek take about an hour.

Tags
axion, banff, bug screens, promaster, sunlight v1