Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Gold Member

Question Insight into joining Yahoo Roadtrek Group

Good morning Forum members. Has anyone ever joined the Yahoo Roadtrek Group allocated at:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=332649443 ?

It appears to have a high membership and activity but it requires approval to join. I have submitted over 5 requests and all have met with no response. Is there a special "Kabuki" dance that I must perform to join and be granted the secret handshake?

If you're a member of that group, could you please provide some insight on how to be approved. Thanks very much.

Best. Shorty sends...

Blessed with way more than I deserve.
Shore-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

When I joined, it took a very long time to get approval. Weeks... Obviously the page owner doesn't check very often.

If you are not already, you might want to join the Facebook page for older, classic Roadtreks. (not sure of its actual name since I am not a member) It is not as useful as the Yahoo discussion system (or this forum), but might be worth the time.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
When I joined, it took a very long time to get approval. Weeks... Obviously the page owner doesn't check very often.

If you are not already, you might want to join the Facebook page for older, classic Roadtreks. (not sure of its actual name since I am not a member) It is not as useful as the Yahoo discussion system (or this forum), but might be worth the time.
Mumkin, thanks for the quick response. I've heard that the Yahoo group is very informative, not to speak ill of this forum by any means. This forum is PACKED with very useful info.

I hope that the system administrator approves my participation soon...

Any way thanks again. Best. Shorty sends...

Old 07-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The Yahoo site has been basically unmoderated for many years, it appears, and it often does take a long time to get approved and notified.

You will find it quite different there, than here. It is far less technical for almost everything, so the difficult and unusual things commonly get referred back here.

The format is difficult, at best, especially if you don't use it on a PC where you can display all the posts without messing with billions of email notifications, as it is really an email list site.

No pix in the posts, for the most part, although it has been done by some. Even if done, you only will see them if you view the posts with email, not as a web page. There is a picture album side forum you can put pix on and link them, though.

With no moderation, the discussions can very easily get off track and wander, and occasionally get into the discussions that shouldn't be there (politics, religion, guns, etc).

I think you will find more social related things than here, but not as many as on the Facebook sites.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The Yahoo site has been basically unmoderated for many years, it appears, and it often does take a long time to get approved and notified.

You will find it quite different there, than here. It is far less technical for almost everything, so the difficult and unusual things commonly get referred back here.

The format is difficult, at best, especially if you don't use it on a PC where you can display all the posts without messing with billions of email notifications, as it is really an email list site.

No pix in the posts, for the most part, although it has been done by some. Even if done, you only will see them if you view the posts with email, not as a web page. There is a picture album side forum you can put pix on and link them, though.

With no moderation, the discussions can very easily get off track and wander, and occasionally get into the discussions that shouldn't be there (politics, religion, guns, etc).

I think you will find more social related things than here, but not as many as on the Facebook sites.
booster thank you for your insight. I don't need or want that drama. Personally I just want to camp, travel and understand my Roadtrek and it's varied subsystems. Again thank you for taking the time to respond. Look forward to further collaboration with you. Best. Shorty (aka Shore-T) sends...

Old 07-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Booster has a way with words..."underrated" - but spot on! Like others, I am a member, since about '04....I guess some things never change. I guess this is one of the times when you "did your thing in requesting" and somewhere, sometime, you will get enrolled. In the meantime, this Forum, in my opinion, put forth straight info, and you can get meaningful assistance in resolving a problem with your B. Ron
Old 07-18-2017, 11:17 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
Booster has a way with words..."underrated" - but spot on! Like others, I am a member, since about '04....I guess some things never change. I guess this is one of the times when you "did your thing in requesting" and somewhere, sometime, you will get enrolled. In the meantime, this Forum, in my opinion, put forth straight info, and you can get meaningful assistance in resolving a problem with your B. Ron
Ron, thanks for the honest opinion. I think I have found my spot on this site. Trying to get a get together, rally, what ever you want to call it together, but have had no success. Either way I'll keep plugging along. Thanks again. Best.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I should probably clarify a bit about the usefulness of the Yahoo group, as there are some things, that are very Roadtrek specific and common problems, that are available there better than elsewhere.

Things like the part numbers and sources for odd stuff like the plastic hinges on the Dodge storage pods, what window air conditioner will fit in place of the old Fedders units, what awning windows to replace the Laurence units, and things like that.

What is also there almost all the time, over and over, is absorption frig and generator issues, mostly because the search function on Yahoo just doesn't work very well.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:51 AM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
I should probably clarify a bit about the usefulness of the Yahoo group, as there are some things, that are very Roadtrek specific and common problems, that are available there better than elsewhere.

Things like the part numbers and sources for odd stuff like the plastic hinges on the Dodge storage pods, what window air conditioner will fit in place of the old Fedders units, what awning windows to replace the Laurence units, and things like that.

What is also there almost all the time, over and over, is absorption frig and generator issues, mostly because the search function on Yahoo just doesn't work very well.
booster thanks again. Yea, one thing that I have found out the hard way is that it appears that Roadtrek has a monopoly on replacement parts... As an example I could not find any source in the US or Canada for the locking hinges for the overhead cabinets. I had to go through an authorized dealer, which by the way, their prices vary immensely in their quotes. I'm working at looking for a more commonly available latch to replace them as they go out. Also the outside patio lamp is driving me CRAZY! I would love to find a yellow dome for it but have been unsuccessful as well. I guess that's going to require switching out the entire unit out.

When I had my Casita Fiberglass trailer, the more technical Casita forum (www.casitaforum.com) maintained a listing of almost all sources of replacement parts, widgets and things. This is what I was hoping to find to be able to maintain BIG EDNA II in prime shape. Alas to date I have had no luck finding such data.

I certainly would appreciate any information that you or any other active members of the forum could provide. Right now my 50 meter target is that darn patio light. I HATE IT!

Anyway let me get of this topic before I come across as an old curmudgeon! Thank for your advice and informative posts to date and maybe soon we can meet down the blacktop. Best.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #10
Platinum Member

The Yahoo board is probably the best source for Roadtrek part numbers and replacements, but is usually hard to find because of the search shortcomings. I don't know of anywhere else that I can think of.

Have you looked for an amber/yellow bulb for the porch light? I would think you might be able to find one in either incandescent or LED.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:36 AM   #11
Gold Member

Quote:
The Yahoo board is probably the best source for Roadtrek part numbers and replacements, but is usually hard to find because of the search shortcomings. I don't know of anywhere else that I can think of.

Have you looked for an amber/yellow bulb for the porch light? I would think you might be able to find one in either incandescent or LED.
booster, I think I'll take a knee and wait to see if I can kiss the ring and be allowed into the forum. Your suggestion of replacing the current white LED might be the best/easiest solution. I'll attack that tomorrow after I install the internal and external frig fan kits that came in today. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Yesterday I created a dedicated Roadtrek Forum, no approval necessary, everyone is welcome.

Roadtrek-Forums.com

Unlike Facebook or Yahoo, this is a real forum using great forum software. It is Roadtrek specific - all owners or researchers are welcome.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I don't have a Roadtrek, but if I did, I'd certainly use your site! It is very well thought out and accessible. Well Done!
Old 12-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Yesterday I created a dedicated Roadtrek Forum, no approval necessary, everyone is welcome.

Roadtrek-Forums.com

Unlike Facebook or Yahoo, this is a real forum using great forum software. It is Roadtrek specific - all owners or researchers are welcome.
Too bad someone didn't do this ages ago.

But... don't you think Hymer should be included? Same rigs, same issues, same factory?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 12-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Forum such as these are on their last legs. They supplanted the many dedicated dial-up networks such as Compuserve, GEnie, Prodigy and America Online shortly after the Internet went public to the masses in the mid-nineties and forum software matured well enough about 2000 with easy to use software to gather users. How Yahoo hung on this long is a mystery to me because it dates to Usenet style of antiquated use. These dedicated Independent forums like this one and the proposed Roadtrek one has diminishing participation. RV.net's Class B forum is literally dead from 10 years ago. The Roadfood.com forum I have frequented for nearly its inception is a shell of itself from just 10 years ago and participation is a club of old time users. The new social media like Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and YouTube is garnering more participation. On Facebook there is a group for just about every Class B, a few generic Class B groups, and many Roadtrek groups. Every one of them I am familiar with has more identifiable participants, traffic and messaging every day than all of ClassBForum.com. The independent forums like this will survive somewhat with old time users on a social basis. RV.net destroyed itself because they didn't satisfy the social aspects of interaction and basically killed it. Facebook, so far with all its warts, satisfies social interaction better than this forum and the like and that is why they have more participation. Of course a billion members helps. I'm a realist these social medias come and go and nothing lasts forever.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 PM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

This forum can do better.
THere might be many gawkers,
but participants are only a dedicated few.
I can count them with my 2 hands.

The only reason this forum can keep on cranking is
because it covers a "wider" audience -- the whole of Class B,
instead of just a single brand.

I am not saying this forum is without its value.
The knowledge shared here is priceless.
Only if more people know about it,
they will come and hang around here more often too.

ps. I wish the forum owner would promote the Class B+. Most of them encounter the same usage experiences as the Class Bs.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:58 PM   #17
Platinum Member

It certainly pays for all of us to promote the site whenever we can. I have referred the Yahoo Roadtrek board users here dozens of times for specific topics, and I always mention and often show the forum to other campers as we travel and run into class b owners or wannabies.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:05 AM   #18
Platinum Member

The appeal of Facebook is a mystery to me. Everything about them makes me feel exploited. DH got an account because there are some sites you can't see unless you are a member of FB, but we access it only when we have to and we never post anything.

A friend's son works there and gave us a tour. I had trouble getting in because in order to create a visitor pass for you, at the front desk they want you to sign into your FB account. Bit of a problem since I didn't have one.

Forums like this are the only place to get good user information. While some groups I've associated with have faded away, others continue to go strong and still others are on the upswing. I sincerely hope this method of information sharing continues for a long time.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 AM   #19
Platinum Member

The problem with Facebook in comparison to forums like this is that you have people asking the same questions... over and over and over... because stuff slips down the page, never to be seen again. The search sucks almost as bad as on Yahoo Groups...

Thus it is basically a time-waster, which is their goal, of course.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 12-16-2017, 01:41 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
ps. I wish the forum owner would promote the Class B+. Most of them encounter the same usage experiences as the Class Bs.
But it is a Roadtrek specific forum and Roadtrek does not market a B+. Being Roadtrek specific I have no reason to check it out. As for being a general forum and expanding to other Bs and B+s then it competes with this forum.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote