Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Insurance during Covid-19

I am curious to know if your insurance company gave you a discount on your Class B during the Covid-19 shut down when many campgrounds were closed.

I am especially interested about Progressive insurance.

Thank you,
Nancy
2000 PW Excel TD
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

All my vehicle policies with State Farm (including the Roadtrek) got a bit of a break due to less driving and fewer claims. But nothing specific to RVs.

In fact, RVs had somewhat of a banner year. In spite of closures (which tended to affect some regions more than others), a lot of people found ways to get out and camp. We managed a late summer getaway. The campground was full, with people from all over the country. Lots of B’s.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbraindogs View Post
I am curious to know if your insurance company gave you a discount on your Class B during the Covid-19 shut down when many campgrounds were closed.

Thank you,
Nancy
2000 PW Excel TD
My Progressive rate went down from $706 to $638. But no mention of why and no interim rebate like Alstate gave to my car policy.

PS- That is the only policy I have with them, so no multi-car discount. But through my prior motorcycle policy, I have been a customer for over 10 years with no tickets or claims.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:36 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I'm not going to mention the insurance company name, but we got this nice email saying, "Hey we think we can save you some money since you are driving less during Covid, please give us a call." So my wife called because she really likes paying less for insurance. After the call I asked her how it went. She said, "Well we didn't save any money. Actually, I think it was really just a way to get their customers on the phone to try to sell them additional policies like home owners or umbrellas." So, maybe not totally a scam, but sort of in the gray area.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbraindogs View Post

Thank you,
Nancy
2000 PW Excel TD
I have State Farm for all our cars. Progressive just for the RV. Renewal is in July. Last renewal Progressive was the same not change. State Farm provided a modest discount maybe 10 percent for year.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Geico lowered my insurance 15% twice last year due to COVID. They also give a discount if you have a CDL Class license.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I have State Farm for all our cars. Progressive just for the RV. Renewal is in July. Last renewal Progressive was the same not change. State Farm provided a modest discount maybe 10 percent for year.
I experienced about the same here in Louisiana with State Farm, but if you're also interested in this topic, vehicle insurance. avanti had what I thought was an excellent post a little over a year ago. Reminded me of 'long distance' calling' with everyone's land line about 25 years ago. I did not engage in that either:

"Insurance is regulated at the state level, and rates are determined by your zip code, your age, and your driving record.

You will get lots of opinions of the form "I have had XXX for 60 years now and I had a claim once -- they are great". Such reports are all but useless unless the reviewer has nearly identical demographics to you.

Moreover, the "right' answer changes all the time. The marketing departments of the insurers are constantly refocussing their rates to favor one demographic or another. It's just like cell phone plans: carefully designed to steal customers from other insurers, while also making maximum profits from existing customers who don't bother to shop regularly.

You basically have two choices:
1) Shop carefully once a year or so and be prepared to change insurers on a regular basis; or
2) Pick one of the quality full-service providers (State Farm, Nationwide, etc), give them both your auto and home insurance, and stick with them.

Option #1 will save you quite a bit of money. Option #2 will give you fewer ulcers. They are both reasonable choices. Depends on what you value."

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Progressive....No!
Old 02-20-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I've gotten two checks back from my insurance company since Covid started. Can't remember how much they were, but was surprised to get them.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I don't know how an insurance company would be able to evaluate your Class B use to give you a discount as a matter of course. Not all campgrounds are closed and people still travel. It is a personal choice, as we made to cut back on travel in these COVID times, but we still did some travel.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:42 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I got a letter from GEICO and they lowered one of my 6 month premiums because of Covid. Interesting that some got 2 discounts, but it probably depended on timing.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I don't know how an insurance company would be able to evaluate your Class B use to give you a discount as a matter of course.
Both my personal car and my Class B are on the same policy,with different riders. Their explanation was that their customers were not driving as much.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Geico ran my DL and saw that i have had a Class B with numerous endorsements for over 35 years with zero tickets or accidents and gave me the discount. It listed on my policy with other discounts as Commercial Drivers License Discount.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #14
Silver Member

My insurer, Amica (top-rated by Consumer Reports), sent us checks for about 4 months last year with the explanation that we were driving less. It was not a huge amount.
stevegoldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:46 PM   #15
Silver Member

We have State Farm for all our insurance needs and in November included our Class B on the list. We have not received a discount since then. We did receive a discount of about 20% on our other cars last summer.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote