Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2023, 10:45 PM   #1

Default insurance with teenagers/young drivers in the house

We are looking into buying a class B and since I was at AAA today to add my teenage son to our car policy I inquired about cost to insure a class B. I almost fainted - since I have 2 22y old and 1 17y old living in my house AAA said that the insurance on the class B would be $5900/year extra on top of almost the same amount for our other 3 cars unless I would have a car for everyone in the house and could "dedicate" cars. (adding my son today almost doubled our car insurance today - gulp)
Is this normal, would going through a dedicated RV insurance avoid these problems? If this is really what we would have to pay for insurance the RV would not be affordable
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:10 AM   #2
Silver Member

Check progressive and good sam online. You don't have to explain your household just the owner of the vehicle, in my experience.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:25 AM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Check progressive and good sam online. You don't have to explain your household just the owner of the vehicle, in my experience.
The Contract prevails.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We pay about $650 per year on a 5 year old Class B worth about $120k along with all of our home and vehicle policies (as well as an umbrella policy for very high liability coverage). There are, however, no 17 or 22 year olds that will ever drive that RV and no minors on any of our insurance policies. We are in the midwest.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:02 AM   #5

AAA said as long as these young drivers are in our house they have to be insured on the RV too because they have access to the keys which in my opinion is complete BS. All cars I own according to AAA can potentially driven by all people living in my house and therefor I need to insure everyone for every vehicle.
Zwillingsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:05 PM   #6
otr
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
We pay about $650 per year on a 5 year old Class B worth about $120k along with all of our home and vehicle policies (as well as an umbrella policy for very high liability coverage). There are, however, no 17 or 22 year olds that will ever drive that RV and no minors on any of our insurance policies. We are in the midwest.
$650/year for the class B, other vehicles, home and umbrella?
We pay about $480 to Progressive just for our 23 year old class with a high declared value.
What company do you use?
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 05:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

RV is not usually considered a car in a household. Time to talk to someone more senior at AAA or directly to underwriting.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote