Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2022, 09:21 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Insuring a Class B in California

After initially getting a very nice quote, I just got the heads-up that for DMV purposes, our vehicles are not considered RVs, but something along the lines of commercial vans.
Insurance companies, on the other hand (Nationwide for ex) will not insure them unless they can classify them RVs.

So I wonder what's up with this, and whether my insurance agent is clueless or something.

Any thoughts to share here? Driving without insurance is a bit iffy.

(Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share your reco's publicly)
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

State Farm insures my 2003 Roadtrek Chevy Express as a commercial van. They have a picture of it and it is obviously an RV. About $500/year in two payments of $250. I argued with them because they would probably try to pay off a total loss claim as a commercial van which is why they have a picture. I’ll deal with that if it happens.

They insure my 2006 E-450 Class C as an RV. About $700/year in one payment.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
State Farm insures my 2003 Roadtrek Chevy Express as a commercial van. They have a picture of it and it is obviously an RV. About $500/year in two payments of $250. I argued with them because they would probably try to pay off a total loss claim as a commercial van which is why they have a picture. I’ll deal with that if it happens.

They insure my 2006 E-450 Class C as an RV. About $700/year in one payment.
Thank you! After the letdown with Nationwide, looks like Progressive can do it for $600. Not bad considering the 80k value.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Mine has a $30k value on a good day. Would prefer to never have a claim.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:53 AM   #5
Platinum Member

My 1997 Pleasure Way is also insured by State Farm. I'm in same AZ area as hbn7hj. My cost is appx the same as his. State of Arizona goes by vin and lists it as a 1996 Dodge van although my SF cards say 1997 Pleasureway. Not sure that insurance companies always know what to do with RVs.

BTW I was formerly with Nationwide and they listed it as 1996 Dodge/1997 Pleasureway.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:00 AM   #6
Site Team

There is a lot of nonsense on the Internet concerning commercial registration.

The federal government has a standard definition of "commercial vehicle". It includes "used commercially". States don't HAVE to follow this definition, but pretty much all of them do.

Quote:
Commercial motor vehicle is now defined (in 49 U.S.C 31132) to mean a self-propelled or towed vehicle used on the highways in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property, if the vehicle—

(A) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of at least 10,001 pounds, whichever is greater;

(B) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; Start Printed Page 2757

(C) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(D) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under section 5103 of this title and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under section 5103.
https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...quirements-for
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I think they meant “insured as a cargo (not commercial) van.”
Old 01-19-2022, 04:47 AM   #8
Platinum Member

my 2006 PW is registered and titled with the RV VIN- not the 2005 chevy vin

my insurance cost about same as the other Arizonans

My Pal in Flagstaff inherited a class B, brought it to AZ and the MVD inspector decided to "go with ford vin"

Pal is now having trouble with insurance and may have to go to the referee in Mesa to get the title corrected

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:53 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
my 2006 PW is registered and titled with the RV VIN- not the 2005 chevy vin
Didn't even know that there was a separate RV vin. Where is yours? I'll look to see if I can find one on my 97. thx.glenn
Old 01-23-2022, 04:31 PM   #10
Mfm
Bronze Member

Interesting....my registration card (CA) says MH =motorhome and also lists it as a RDTR=RoadTrek. Also has 2 years = 2014 and 2015.
Here is a tube video that has some information regarding motorhome VIN numbers and what each part means.
Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:31 PM   #11
Mfm
Bronze Member

Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Didn't even know that there was a separate RV vin. Where is yours? I'll look to see if I can find one on my 97. thx.glenn

Hi Glenn

my 2005 Chevrolet VIN is on the plate on the firewall, I didn't check the plate on the dash visible through windshield, assume same

1GCHG39U751238676

the 2006 Pleasure-Way vin is on the driver door pillar above the tire info tag along with the chev vin

this is the Manufacturers Statement of Origin ( MSO)

P2C06TD051M307029
TYPE: MH

Also on the GVWR tag inside a cabinet door near the galley are both vins

Mike

* cool that running the chev vin through a decoder shows I have the "iraq export" transmission cooler
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:24 PM   #13
Bronze Member

We've insured our 1988 VW Vanagon CamperGL Westfalia with AAA as a Camper Van since new in CA -- & our DMV Reg lists it as a Van/Auto since new - not Commercial vehicle.

Unless your Class B is over the private vehicle weight limit, & doesn't have passenger seats (I'm sure it does) - then DMV should register it as an Auto/Van, & Insurers should insure it as either a Van or RV.

We also added the extra RV Emergency Services Coverage to our AAA Membership to also cover towing for our 2 trailers (1960 Avion T20 & 1970 Eriba Puck).

AAA Membership at at least the minimum level is required for insurance, but it also provides the roadside assistance, battery jump, towing, etc. benefits.

Also, AA quotes for a full year, & then every following year thereafter you get a dividend off your insurance rate - so 2nd year on is a bit less expensive. Also make sure to double the 6 month quotes from some other insurers, when comparing annual quotes.

And check for AAA multi-vehicle, miles driven per year, home & multi-line, profession & organization discounts when you get a quote.

There are some other companies out there who don't quote via an insurance agent like AAA does - so check on some of them too.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1970 Eriba Puck, +/- 5th owner since 2018
1960 Avion T20, +/- 4th owner since 2012
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:25 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Another CA Resident Chimes In

My Class B is a 2004 Leisure Travel Vans Freedom 210B built on a Freightliner van.

On the DMV registration it is referred to as an "MH", of make "CHRY".

I have insurance through AAA. My proof of insurance card refers to the vehicle as a "2004 DCX 210 B Series". On previous year's AAA insurance proof cards, the description has been "2004 DCX Sprinter Travel Van".

The VINS match on the reg and the insurance proof; I don't care much about the other details.

My van is registered as a non-commercial vehicle, and insured as such.

Mine's so old I expect anything in the way of collision damage would total it. The purpose of insurance for me, with respect to this vehicle, is medical, liability and uninsured motorist protection.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:40 PM   #15

If it's a brand new vehicle, California DMV will register the motorhome depending upon which manufacturer's Certificate of Origin is submitted (see attached photo). The VIN is identical for both certificates. Usually, the dealer is obligated to submit the paperwork with the MH certificate. However, in California, even if you register it as a motorhome, they will insist upon registering it with the chassis year of manufacture because that is how they track smog equipment requirements.

If it's a used vehicle, it will generally be registered in accordance with the previous owner's registration. However, if it was registered out-of-state as a cargo van, you should be able to change it to a MH designation if you have the Roadtrek Certificate of Origin.

The vehicle is typically insured in accordance with the registration designation. However, some insurers will allow you to insure a "cargo van" as a motorhome with submittal of the MH Certificate of Origin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Certificate(s) of Origin.jpg (368.8 KB, 10 views)
DAWg134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:30 PM   #16
Silver Member

I bought my used B in Nevada. It came with a Washington title. When I brought it to Cali I had to have the CHP check it. They went with the van VIN saying it was a 2017 promaster.
I spent 3 months arguing with the DMV that all my paperwork, title & insurance say i have bought a 2019 RV. So surely it was impossible for me to register it as a 2017 van as all my paperwork would become invalid & i'd have nothing proving I owned it despite having the original Washington title! (which said 2019 RV)
Not to mention a 2 year value depreciation overnight!
I was especially concerned that in the event of a write off my $60,000 purchase would only get $30,000 or so from the insurance if it was registered as a 2017 cargo van instead of an RV.
I had to file, send forms & had a couple of calls from a special department in Sacramento that deals with RV's, they came back eventually & registered it as a 2019 Motorhome. Woohoo victory!
Not sure it was worth all the time & hassle, but it is possible to get it done if you're stubborn & won't take no for an answer lol.
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:03 AM   #17
Platinum Member

I'm in California and they have it listed as an RV
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:27 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the responses.

Progressive lists it as a 22 Promaster (it's really a 21 chassis), with primary "Recreational use", and an RV value of 80k.

Looks all good to me. There is just one (Dodge) VIN, no "Thor VIN" afaik.

Nationwide was just trying to be difficult. Their loss.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:56 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Nationwide is not the best. We had auto, home and umbrella with them for a long time. Final straw was when we checked their prices against other good, reputable (as much as you can say that applies to insurance) companies. The price on our Rav4 was literally 2X the price of the other companies for the same exact coverage. The other companies were pretty consistent in pricing. Nationwide was the outlier.
Old 01-24-2022, 05:03 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I had similar experiences with another insurance company that I was loyal to for almost 25 years. It is really worth to invest the time to go shopping/get quotes every couple of years, as inconvenient as it may seem, to keep them honest (relatively).