Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Interesting finds in '88 Dodge/RoadTrek

In taking the old non-functional battery isolator out from under the battery tray, behind the driver's side headlight, several other issues have come to light. First and foremost is the condition of the original isolator, rusted/corroded due apparently to being covered with years of road grit, leaves and other debris that stayed moist due to lack of air circulation. I removed the original battery and found its tray badly rusted, perhaps from having acid spilled on it. Also found the wiring harness had been rubbing on the edge of the battery tray. The damage was only to the outer fabric wrapping and had not penetrated to the plastic wire insulation, but eventually would have caused shorts in any of a large number of engine compartment wires. Would likely NOT have been pretty! I've been re-wrapping the wire harnesses with fresh Scotch 33+ electrical tape (the good stuff!) and using some brush on electrical tape to seal the ends of the wrappings. I've also disconnected the electrical plugs, saturated them with penetrants and connected and disconnected them several times to "scrub" the contact surfaces, then filled the connectors with dielectric grease to keep moisture from getting back in. Messy, but I believe worthwhile.

It's not being a total restoration, but re-working problem areas that have shown up in 26 years of service as they've been found only seems prudent. I call those "while I'm in the neighborhood" projects. True, they add time and expense to the project, but they do inspire confidence that the rig will provide more years of faithful service. But, BOY is it hot in my driveway in South Austin, Texas!

BC
Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Interesting finds in '88 Dodge/RoadTrek

That attention to detail is well worth the effort. It'll be worry free going forward. My current van is the oldest RV I have owned by far but it is in the best condition because the previous owner took care of those details like you are doing now. There's dielectric grease on all exposed electrical connections and because of the previous owner efforts it is easy for me to keep up with that type of maintenance.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default Re: Interesting finds in '88 Dodge/RoadTrek

So many old vehicles (I'm also into classic musclecars) that have MAJOR problems due to lack of preventive maintenance. So many owners just run 'em 'til they break, then just fix what caused the stoppage and ignore the other similar problems building up. Probably the simplest electrical prevention is the dielectric grease treatment I outlined previously. And the result of NOT doing maintenance is unexpected breakdowns, difficult repairs, towing fees and perhaps accidents with injuries and major damage. My rescue of the RoadTrek is designed to provide long lasting dependable service, not just get it back on the road like the previous owner(s) did. I just wish I'd started earlier in the year!

BC