Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2023, 09:42 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Interior tank drain valve, 2008 RT 190 Popular

Hi there,

I am trying to find the drain valve for the interior potable water tank. I have looked all over and am wondering if it just drains when you open the exterior shower faucets. I have attached a photo from the manual showing the "supposed" valve. Sorry for the sideways photo

Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior drain valve.jpg (269.4 KB, 29 views)
organize4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organize4u View Post
Hi there,

I am trying to find the drain valve for the interior potable water tank. I have looked all over and am wondering if it just drains when you open the exterior shower faucets. I have attached a photo from the manual showing the "supposed" valve. Sorry for the sideways photo

Marie

If you don't have the owner's manual I would suggest you download one from the Roadtrek website. The Roadtrek valves are confusing even with the manual, but it does show how they work pretty well with pix.

https://roadtrek.com/download/1597&file_id=1595
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:25 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It appears to be behind a panel that has to be removed or opened. I don’t have a 2008. If you can’t find it pump it into the sink then dump your grey water. Same end result.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:32 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi there,

Marie
With my 05 the only way to drain the inside tank is by draining the outside tank. The inside tank drains into the outside tank, if the valve is opened.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:16 AM   #5
Gold Member

I do have the manual. Hence, the photo I posted. Still scratching my head as to where it could be. My RV guy couldn't find it either.

M
Old 01-27-2023, 08:50 PM   #6
Gold Member

From that picture, there appears to be a hinge at the bottom of the valve compartment. If so, the door to the compartment (inside the vehicle, Passenger side?) would pull open from the top. Don't know if the line drains onto the ground or into the front exterior tank - which it does on the 210.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:54 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupB View Post
From that picture, there appears to be a hinge at the bottom of the valve compartment. If so, the door to the compartment (inside the vehicle, Passenger side?) would pull open from the top. Don't know if the line drains onto the ground or into the front exterior tank - which it does on the 210.
This ^^ IF your 2008 has a similar setup. On our 2010, the valves are located under the driver side couch/bed, just to the left of the fridge unit. There's a panel cut into the vertical support of the couch/bed. The panel is hinged at the bottom and pulls from the top - there's a finger hole at the top to pull it open. In our van, the interior water tank drains to the driver side exterior water tank, where there's a cap on the line. It's visible when the long driver side compartment is pulled open. The cap is removed to drain all water tanks.
TX-Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:10 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Our 2007 RT 210P (which we bought new and still own) drains both tanks with a little yellow handled valve located under the rv just below the storage area for the macerator hose.

I have owned to Roadtreks (1996 190P and 2007 210P), loved both of them for years and have never been sure I understood the valves.

Since we store our rig in a heated building and don't camp when it is below freezing, I set the valves years ago where the interior (referred to as the winter) tank simply drains into the larger outside tank and when I open the valve described above, both drain out on the ground.

At this stage of ownership, I am sure the valves will remain a mystery because where they are now set works for me.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:20 AM   #9
Gold Member

Yes you are correct. I do have a compartment like that but it doesn't house that particular valve. See attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211102_144024.jpg (234.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-28-2023, 10:10 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes you are correct. I do have a compartment like that but it doesn't house that particular valve. See attached photo.

The picture you have in the first post does not look like the right one from a 2008 owners manual.

I think you have the 2007 and previous manual, which is not surprising because or 2007, but built like and 2008 with new kitchen style, slanted roof windows, moved furnace and charging equipment, etc, came with the older manual. I did get a copy of the later one so have both.

Go back to the second post and download the 2008 manual or look at it online and compared the pics is section G to what you have and I think you will be be able to get it all straightened out.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:51 PM   #11
Gold Member

Default Exterior tank drain valve, 2008 Roadtrek 190 Popular

Thank you everyone for your input. Booster, I followed the link you sent and you are right, the picture shown for the valves which are under the bed on the driver's side look identical to mine. The way it's set now, the interior tank drains to the exterior tank which in turn should drain out of the bottom valve located under the driver's side. I have not tried to set it to "winter" mode yet. There doesn't appear be enough room for it to be turned without hitting the hot water tank.

When I purchased the van it was listed as a 2008 but I noticed the car manual says 2007. So is the vehicle a 2007 and the conversion a 2008?

Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Valves.jpg (208.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-28-2023, 09:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your input. Booster, I followed the link you sent and you are right, the picture shown for the valves which are under the bed on the driver's side look identical to mine. The way it's set now, the interior tank drains to the exterior tank which in turn should drain out of the bottom valve located under the driver's side. I have not tried to set it to "winter" mode yet. There doesn't appear be enough room for it to be turned without hitting the hot water tank.

When I purchased the van it was listed as a 2008 but I noticed the car manual says 2007. So is the vehicle a 2007 and the conversion a 2008?

Marie

What are the last digits of the VIN#? Ours are 571195426 and my bet is that yours is likely to be right after ours by some amount. There should also be manufacture date for the conversion on the Roadtrek door tag, I think, so that would be another reference point.

I think I had to cut off the handle a bit to get room, or turn the valve in the hoses, which usually works fine without causing leaks. Ours haven't been moved in many years because I took out the inside tank to reclaim all the wasted storage space it ate up.

10th digit should be the chassis year, see the 7 in our numbers.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:03 PM   #13
Gold Member

Booster,
My tenth number is a 7 also. So, I guess I have a 2007 vehicle with a 2008 conversion.
Vin is somewhat close to yours 571219918.
Thanks,
Marie
Old 01-30-2023, 05:55 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Booster,
My tenth number is a 7 also. So, I guess I have a 2007 vehicle with a 2008 conversion.
Vin is somewhat close to yours 571219918.
Thanks,
Marie

Did you get all your valves straightened out?
Old 01-30-2023, 06:10 PM   #15
Gold Member

Yes, I believe I have. I have one more thing to check on the exterior under the driver's side but it's very cold here today so I will save it for the weekend when it will warm up. Thanks,
Marie
Old 01-30-2023, 06:42 PM   #16
Platinum Member

IIRC they produced 140-150K Express and Savanna vans that year so you are a couple of months later than ours.

Our van was built by GM in 03/07 per the silver sticker on the driver's door.

Ours was converted by Roadtrek in 05/07 per the white sticker on on the same door/

We bought it in 10/08 so it had been sitting on the lot quite a while.

Do you have the maple or cherry wood cabinets? We were on the tail end of the maple (which we like better) and you probably are right during the transition.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:55 PM   #17
Gold Member

I have the maple.
M
Old 01-30-2023, 09:52 PM   #18
Gold Member

Default Interior tank drain valve, 2008 RT 190 Popular

The questions never end . Still learning. I have been reading more about the valves. Can you tell me the difference between the interior tank transfer valve (black one on the left) and the selector valve which can be set to the interior or exterior tank mode (red one). It seems redundant.

Thanks,
Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211102_144057.jpg (132.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-30-2023, 10:22 PM   #19
Platinum Member

One of the things that really attracted us to our purchase fifteen years ago of our RT 210P was the maple cabinets and the general fit and finish of everything on the RT.

I was at two rv shows this month and looking at a few Bs and Cs and I found no new ones that compared to the cabinetry in our RT. Personal preference is important in these things and my wife and I really prefer the "old fashioned" solid cabinets. The over all construction of those RTs and Pleasureways and a few others back then has proven the test to time.

Personally, I doubt if we ever trade our RT until it is time for us to give up rving. We just like it too well and have had excellent service from it over the years.

By the way, virtually all the rigs at the rv shows I attended had gray interiors. Different brands, trailers, Class A, B C: all gray. Looks like someone spent a lot of time in the Navy. Just confirmed we need to stick with our RT.

Even if we STILL can't figure out the valves sometimes!!

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:22 PM   #20
Platinum Member

To my knowledge the internal tank has no drain valve. What it does have is a valve located in the area of the pump and the red handled "Winter-Summer" valve which selects which tank is used. There is another, smaller (black in my case) valve which allows both tanks to be used simultaneously by allowing the internal tank to drain into the external tank as it is used. This is the closest to a drain valve which I have located. If it is opened and you drain the external tank the internal tank will drain into the lower tank and thus completely drain out both tanks.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote