Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2023, 02:18 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Is a cheap steel roof rack not whorth it bc of rust stains

Is a cheap steel roof rack not whorth it bc of rust stains

I’ve been browsing roof racks decided on this for $20. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There prices yoyo all the time. It’s now $68. which is still cheap.

Ppl complain the inside of tubes isn’t painted causeing rust, so I can seal w/ expoxy.

Planning to remove roof AC & TV antenna.

I’ve been wanting a roof rack to carry a canoe or kayak (for none cruising expeditions where the real vessel isn't used basicelly quickie trips no towing)
on opposite side I’d like a 200watt solar power panel.

Plan this type ratchet to secure canoe. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ON5KCTF8&psc=1

What do you Guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof rack.jpg (115.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-16-2023, 05:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

These commercial racks can work well. As long as you keep it clean and paint any paint chips you shouldn’t get any rust stains. The stains only come if you don’t clean the rust marks when and if there is rust. These racks work fine on commercial trucks for many years without rust marks if washed regularly. Nothing wrong with being frugal.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:27 PM   #3
Bronze Member

On my old Van I had a luggage carrier which was built on two ladder racks with stamped steel & aluminum tubing. At the front was one more ladder rack like the other two. When they began to rust I got all the steel parts blasted and then painted them with epoxy paint. I allowed it to cure for a couple weeks before reassymbeling.

I've never had that much luck with powder coated external parts. Spare tire racks mounted to the rear door and so forth. It always seems to flake off the edges and corners.
Dee Jsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Jsaan View Post
On my old Van I had a luggage carrier which was built on two ladder racks with stamped steel & aluminum tubing. At the front was one more ladder rack like the other two. When they began to rust I got all the steel parts blasted and then painted them with epoxy paint. I allowed it to cure for a couple weeks before reassymbeling.

I've never had that much luck with powder coated external parts. Spare tire racks mounted to the rear door and so forth. It always seems to flake off the edges and corners.

Rust never sleeps and it will creep out from any divet or crack sooner or later. Even and bolt heads where a bolt or washer gouged the surface. Lock washers are the worst.

Personally, I would forget a steel rack in such a high visibility area with sun all the time and go with and aluminum one with stainless fasteners. A bit more money, but very small amount compared to the cost of the van or by the time you buy a bunch of epoxy or epoxy paint and try to find some way to paint or rustproof the inside of the tubes. Been there, done that on high end old school steel racing bicycle frames that would rust from inside the tubes. Paint may actually need to be something from the automotive body shop repaint products to survive the sun on the roof of a van. The normal process of that is epoxy primer, two part urethane base color coat, and 2 part urethane UV resistant clear top coat. I did my big wagon about 4 years ago and the paints were near $100/gallon for mid tier quality line. You have to have very good paint to survive lots of sun.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote