Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Also, and this is yet more of a ProMaster and not Thor/RV question... One of the rear roof lamps fell off and dangled mostly by its wires. There are replacement parts available, but I don't see the existing retainer clips damaged in any way. Not sure how they retain themselves, I even tried with a slightly fatter screw but they don't seem to find any hold in the square 1/4" hole.

Maybe I should just epoxy them in there... hmmm. How long would that hold?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220130_130521.jpg (152.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20220130_133205.jpg (110.7 KB, 4 views)
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:01 PM   #42
Platinum Member

I would use automotive touch up paint matching the exact color after priming the metal. You can buy these online or at any auto parts store. I would even spray several layers of clear coat over the top.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:51 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Something is rotten in Denmark. Promasters are "notorious" for NOT rusting. In addition to being galvanized at the factory, there seems to be something about the quality of the metal.

Did anyone—you or upfitter—cut a hole in the roof? If so, that's probably metal bits that didn’t get cleaned off because when they flew, they embedded in the paint. (Good practice is to cover everything adjacent before cutting.). If so, wipe them off and fuggitaboutit.

In my seven years of active participation on the PM forum, I've never seen an actual rust problem, but the metal bits are a common problem for all vans that get cut on by people who don’t know (or don't care) about this issue. Mercedes and Transit, OTOH, can have serious rust issues even when new—I'm on their forums, too.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:44 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Something is rotten in Denmark. Promasters are "notorious" for NOT rusting. In addition to being galvanized at the factory, there seems to be something about the quality of the metal.

Did anyone—you or upfitter—cut a hole in the roof? If so, that's probably metal bits that didn’t get cleaned off because when they flew, they embedded in the paint. (Good practice is to cover everything adjacent before cutting.). If so, wipe them off and fuggitaboutit.

In my seven years of active participation on the PM forum, I've never seen an actual rust problem, but the metal bits are a common problem for all vans that get cut on by people who don’t know (or don't care) about this issue. Mercedes and Transit, OTOH, can have serious rust issues even when new—I'm on their forums, too.
Yep I think they are metal bits embedded in the paint. They're deep down though, not possible to wipe them off. I'll prolly just sand them down to cleanliness and then paint them over as jrobe suggested. Just ordered this stuff. Not too concerned with color matching but rust is annoying.
I did not cut any holes, but the upfitter sure did... a load of them. You know, A/C, Winegard, fans front and back, solar panel connections, etc.
Thank you for easing my mind about PM's not rusting. That's good.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:58 PM   #45
Platinum Member

If your van is white, PW7 is readily available at the parts store

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:13 AM   #46
Platinum Member

Here is another sorta random question...

My Rize has two HDMI outlets and zero TVs. So far so good.

One outlet is in the kitchen area above the sink (?!) and the other one across the isle under the cabinets, above the couch/bed.

OK. My question is: are the two connected via a single HDMI cable? So that I can add a TV on one side, and the source (say a DVD Player) on the other? Or do both go to the front dash radio as the receiver? Or where do they go?

(I don't necessarily plan on adding a TV/monitor, just curious).