Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2022, 06:57 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Is it normal that... Pt II

So I took my new Rize 18M out for a spin and ran into a few more questions!

Is it normal that
  • The backlight of the BMPro/RVMaster unit stays lit all night, illuminating the RV in a soft blu-ish glow? I suppose I could turn off the main switch, but then the fridge would be off too.
  • One forgets to shut the magnet-held freezer door of the Vitrifrigo fridge when closing the main door, which messes up the insulation strip and at some point surely will just detach and destroy the freezer door? Or is it just me?
  • The faucets keep dripping a bit even after the water-pump is off and pressure has been mostly released? Annoying in the sink, which is covered with a cover, which then re-directs the drippings into gaps around the sink. I guess I need to silicone or superglue-gel those gaps to prevent moisture going into the cabinet space.

On a side-note, I took my first test shower in the wet bath. Interesting. Space wasn't an issue. However, the Truma disappointed a bit, the water was very tepid after a while on "High" I guess I'll try "Boost" next. Also, the camper being on an incline, the water collected in the basin without draining because the drain was on the highest point. Finally, getting everything dry isn't easy, but important. The wet shower curtain especially will guarantee a lot of humidity throughout the vehicle. I guess I need to add a plastic liner!
Urlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

our older unit has an "aisle shower"

we don't use it because of the humidity
even with the vent fan running

We figure we are in a campground and use their shower or in the boonies and use the outdoor shower wand.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:10 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post

We figure we are in a campground and use their shower or in the boonies and use the outdoor shower wand.

mike
Yeap I can see why... at least in the Rize the shower is in the back and closing the doors, the shower curtain, and turning on the fan keeps the moisture pretty much in that compartment. Or... open the back doors! (If nobody is looking )

Looking forward to outdoor showers too. There is a camper (Solis?) where you can open the back doors and lock them via a rod and turn that rear space into a shower stall... pretty cool (or cold, depending on location & season).
Old 01-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I quickly found outdoor showers to be a romantic notion, even with a Solis-style "enclosure", which is a simple fabrication. The reality was uncomfortable even on a good day. One tip for less moisture: instead of standing under a literal "shower" as at home, hold a low-flowing wand near your body. You get just as clean.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:32 PM   #5
Platinum Member

if the taps are not dripping with the water pump on,

then I expect the design of the faucet spout holds & allows water to drip with gravity/bumps on the road.

maybe needs to be swapped for a better design

if the taps drip/ don't close under pressure, then a replacement of seals/valve/cartridge

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Every RV seems to come with a light or two that stays on to bother one while trying to sleep. In my Roadtrek, I would pin a washcloth over them at night. (using the fabric on the walls) In my current van, the lights are at the counter top, so I just stand something in front of them. Rather than shutting things down, figure out a way to cover.

As to the fridge, it is just teaching yourself to deal with its quirks. Every fridge has them. In my new rig, the freezer door opens from its bottom and there is no real latch on it. So the stuff in the freezer would escape into the fridge when driving. Cure? Put one of those little plastic bins in there to hold the stuff. (I have mostly one serving meals frozen in bags, so it works fine)

As to the dripping faucet, haven't a clue on that one. Figuring out the Truma and shower drain... learning curve again. Getting the hot water when one wants it takes practice so that the gray tank doesn't fill too quickly. About that poorly draining shower floor? Sometimes I think they intentionally put the drain at the high point. lol Some fix it with leveling blocks... other just use a squeegee...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Every RV seems to come with a light or two that stays on to bother one while trying to sleep.
Not always a bad thing. We have one of those illuminated grab handles at the entrance to our sliding door. I rewired it to keep the LED on all the time. I did this after picturing what it would be like to be awakened in the middle of the night by a fire or other emergency. The light makes it possible to open the door without groping.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
About that poorly draining shower floor? Sometimes I think they intentionally put the drain at the high point. lol Some fix it with leveling blocks... other just use a squeegee...
Many European rigs have dual (or quad) drains on opposite corners of the shower pan. I intend to do that in our next van.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:23 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I quickly found outdoor showers to be a romantic notion, even with a Solis-style "enclosure", which is a simple fabrication. The reality was uncomfortable even on a good day.
Why? Privacy concerns? Too cold? I have outdoor showered at dispersed places at night (i.e. neckid) and it seemed to work just fine. Just gotta watch mosquitos and grizzlies, but not filling up the grey water tank and increasing moisture inside was pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
One tip for less moisture: instead of standing under a literal "shower" as at home, hold a low-flowing wand near your body. You get just as clean.
Good point, agreed. Now to train the rest of the fambly.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
if the taps are not dripping with the water pump on, then I expect the design of the faucet spout holds & allows water to drip with gravity/bumps on the road.

maybe needs to be swapped for a better design

if the taps drip/ don't close under pressure, then a replacement of seals/valve/cartridge

mike
Thanks Mike! Doesn't look like they drip with the WP on, although I turned on the pump just for short moments so far. It may just be the design although one would think if they don't drip under pressure they shouldn't drip w/o pressure either. No big deal, maybe a tissue wrapped around the spout is all that's needed.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Every RV seems to come with a light or two that stays on to bother one while trying to sleep. In my Roadtrek, I would pin a washcloth over them at night. (using the fabric on the walls) In my current van, the lights are at the counter top, so I just stand something in front of them. Rather than shutting things down, figure out a way to cover.
That's a good option. I also figured out that I can adjust the brightness of the screen via its Android interface. Of course dialing that down also makes it harder to see during the day. Compromises...
Not a big issue though, and may be good to have some minimal lighting in the wagon to find the potty, flashlight, knife etc.

Quote:
As to the fridge, it is just teaching yourself to deal with its quirks. Every fridge has them. In my new rig, the freezer door opens from its bottom and there is no real latch on it. So the stuff in the freezer would escape into the fridge when driving. Cure? Put one of those little plastic bins in there to hold the stuff. (I have mostly one serving meals frozen in bags, so it works fine)
Well I know myself and will constantly forget that the freezer door is open. I guess removing the magnet (if that was an option) wouldn't be good either. As you say, stuff will then move down into the regular compartment, and liquify. I wish there was some sort of warning or stick that sticks out when the flap is up. Huh. Maybe I'll glue a stick to it?

Quote:
As to the dripping faucet, haven't a clue on that one. Figuring out the Truma and shower drain... learning curve again. Getting the hot water when one wants it takes practice so that the gray tank doesn't fill too quickly. About that poorly draining shower floor? Sometimes I think they intentionally put the drain at the high point. lol Some fix it with leveling blocks... other just use a squeegee...
Sounds like these are all just things to get used to and work around... That's ok, always room for improvement I guess.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Not always a bad thing. We have one of those illuminated grab handles at the entrance to our sliding door. I rewired it to keep the LED on all the time. I did this after picturing what it would be like to be awakened in the middle of the night by a fire or other emergency. The light makes it possible to open the door without groping.
Wouldn't the fire light up the cabin?

Good point, maybe a bit of illumination is actually helpful.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:03 PM   #13
Platinum Member

We use our wet bath shower every day. It just takes some getting used too. We carry a few leveling blocks and figured out the best angles to get the shower pan to drain the best. We use some fast drying towels that we bought on Amazon that dry quickly. We run the fan for a few minutes which quickly gets rid of humidity. With the right windows open, it takes about 30 seconds to completely replace the air in the van. I use a 3-4 sheets of paper towel to quickly wipe down the walls and shower pan and then finish up with a towel. With a quick military shower technique, we don't even use much hot water. It isn't a big deal for us and a quick shower after a long bike ride is one of the best reasons to spend the money on a Class B.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:16 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Outdoor showers are for cleaning your dog and getting mud off your boots.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:47 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
We use our wet bath shower every day. It just takes some getting used too. We carry a few leveling blocks and figured out the best angles to get the shower pan to drain the best. We use some fast drying towels that we bought on Amazon that dry quickly. We run the fan for a few minutes which quickly gets rid of humidity. With the right windows open, it takes about 30 seconds to completely replace the air in the van. I use a 3-4 sheets of paper towel to quickly wipe down the walls and shower pan and then finish up with a towel. With a quick military shower technique, we don't even use much hot water. It isn't a big deal for us and a quick shower after a long bike ride is one of the best reasons to spend the money on a Class B.
This describes our SOP perfectly. I would only add that a squeegee reduces paper towel consumption quite a bit. I have never really understood the moisture-from-the-shower thing. It has always been a non-issue for us. Next to having our own bed, the wet-bath is my favorite feature of the van.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Why? Privacy concerns? Too cold?
Privacy is not a concern for me. Shucks. I’d be honored if anybody thought this 75-yo bod was worth peeping at.

Chill is a definite concern, though, given that we tend to shower late in the day at high altitude. Then there’s the hassle factor of having to dress—or at least get decent—outside. Inside is much mo betta.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:06 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Showering inside in late fall, winter and early spring where you might be heating your van is a welcome humidifier, though if you take a proper Navy shower to conserve valuable water it would not amount to much anyway anytime of the year.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:20 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Showering inside in late fall, winter and early spring where you might be heating your van is a welcome humidifier, though if you take a proper Navy shower to conserve valuable water it would not amount to much anyway anytime of the year.
Haha, is there a middle point somewhere between the two extremes?
Old 01-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Yes. Shower inside. Watch how you use the water.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:36 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Haha, is there a middle point somewhere between the two extremes?
You are still a rookie to Class B RVing. I hope you know what a Navy shower is. If you take a continuous shower like you do at home you would run your freshwater tank out in under 5 minutes which is incidentally what a building shower is in a campground if they are charging money to take a shower. You quickly learn how short a 5 minute shower is as you bask under the continuous stream of hot water.

A lot of Class Bs have about a 20 gallon fresh tank which has to be shared with washing dishes and other water functions like flushing toilets, washing hands, food prep and drinking.