Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 01:06 AM   #21
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My mother started solo RVing at 60 when my father passed. She started with a small travel van with a bed and microwave, graduated to a small Class C, then a larger Class C, then downsized to her last, a Chevy Roadtrek. She made her last cross-country trip at 89, and after a few more shorter trips decided to give it up at 91.
That is really encouraging! She must be quite an interesting woman! Thank you for the tips!
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:08 AM   #22
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Some people install a small bolted down safe for valuables.

You'll be fine. Enjoy!
Good tip! I will have a Macbook Pro and an iPad I would not want stolen. I think I have seen some used ones that had a little safe.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:13 AM   #23
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Just stay in more regimented campgrounds till you can handle it. The tragedies we have heard of had nothing to do with solo women.
This seems to be the general consensus. I will definitely stay in nice campgrounds until I get the hang of things. I took an RV trip a couple of years ago with a man and we boondocked in a place that was pitch black at night (no moon or stars out) and it was a bit creepy, even with him and my dog there. Even my dog wasn't too keen!
Old 08-20-2020, 01:15 AM   #24
Silver Member

I just want to say what an incredible forum this is! I never expected to get so many great tips and so much encouragement! Thank you all!
Old 08-20-2020, 04:58 AM   #25
Platinum Member

I, until 2016 was in elite protection & fixing problems overseas.

So I have a natural inclination to feel when something isn't right.

And all the answers here, point to listening to your own indicators as to what feels great, not so great & uncomfortable.

The key pitfalls as a beginner, Civilian Male or Female, is to bite off more distance than you can easily do. Or feel you just have to be somewhere.

This leads to fatigue. Fatigue leads to not paying attention to your own own cues & those of others. Especially at night.

We live in an America that has never been perfection but now society is becoming more frayed at the edges.

Fortunately, those edges don't exist in the RV types that lurk, post or inhabit our forums. Instead you will find good minded people, living yhe dream in between moments punctuated by black tank dumping & on the road maintemance & repairs.

This is the America you will be traveling the most of the time in.

Getting plenty of rest, enjoying yourself, following your joys & not being kidnapped by a timetable & you will be fine. When you need to be somewhere, plan accordingly to get there in good light.

I do like the suggestion of Bear Spray, its illegal in CA but all of my friends & clients have a can or two for their security. And of course, discharging it in an RV is going to affect everyone but it's excellent keeping people at a distance.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post

I do like the suggestion of Bear Spray, its illegal in CA but all of my friends & clients have a can or two for their security. And of course, discharging it in an RV is going to affect everyone but it's excellent keeping people at a distance.
I did not know bear spray was illegal in CA. If caught possessing it what is the penalty? If used in self defense against someone attacking you what is the penalty?

I don't intend to scare Vee, but she does need to understand there is always the potential for anything to happen and the suggestions here reduce the likelihood significantly. So I also encourage Vee to go and enjoy this great country.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #27
Site Team

Moderators' note:
Discussing the facts concerning the legality of bear spray is fine, but please do not drift into any suggestion that ignoring any law might be acceptable. And, of course, steer clear of political discussions of any kind.

Thanks, and enjoy the list.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:22 PM   #28

Bear spray is legal to possess in the US (including California). However, how you use it is up to the state self defense laws and, more importantly, the local district attorney.
Rocland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #29
Gold Member

I used to belong to the Travato Owners and Wannabees, a group on Facebook.

There are many single women traveling in that group with lots of experience.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I did not know bear spray was illegal in CA. If caught possessing it what is the penalty? If used in self defense against someone attacking you what is the penalty?

I don't intend to scare Vee, but she does need to understand there is always the potential for anything to happen and the suggestions here reduce the likelihood significantly. So I also encourage Vee to go and enjoy this great country.
Its a very gray area.

I do know you can no longer have Amazon send it to a CA address.

Also Bear Spray is regarded as an Insecticide, unlike Pepper Spray.

Its the Insecticide part of the equation that makes it illegal to use on people however i never recommend people use Pepper Spray, the units & triggers are too small for a Civilian to use & direct effectively under stress of an attack, whereas the Bear Spray is 5-6 bursts of a 10-20 feet cloud of discomfort.

RV Life is wonderful when the only concern you have is whether or not you sprayed too much Patchouli before last night's Backgammon Evening ...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-20-2020, 07:39 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Lots of good advice here. We do know a few single women who camp all over the country in their nice class B vans, and they have no issues. They are smart about where they camp and keep their wits about them, but they don't seem the least bit intimidated.

On the lighter side, maybe leave these outside your van: an obviously used pair of large men's boots, size 13 or larger, and an impressively big dog bowl with the name "Fang" written on it?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #32
Platinum Member

I’m 73 and each year travel alone through some parts of Louisiana and Mississippi with relatively high crime rates. I make sure I have cell service and a clear exit, then I sleep soundly.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I’m 73 and each year travel alone through some parts of Louisiana and Mississippi with relatively high crime rates. I make sure I have cell service and a clear exit, then I sleep soundly.
And from checking out Msnomer's website, I can attest she id NOT a Wallflower.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:56 PM   #34
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Lots of good advice here. We do know a few single women who camp all over the country in their nice class B vans, and they have no issues. They are smart about where they camp and keep their wits about them, but they don't seem the least bit intimidated.

On the lighter side, maybe leave these outside your van: an obviously used pair of large men's boots, size 13 or larger, and an impressively big dog bowl with the name "Fang" written on it?
OMG, I love the boots and the huge dog bowl with the scary dog name idea! Thank you!
Old 08-20-2020, 10:57 PM   #35
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
You are a great role model! Thank you!
Old 08-21-2020, 12:12 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
OMG, I love the boots and the huge dog bowl with the scary dog name idea! Thank you!
Glad you like it! Maybe use a pair of pliers to put some "tooth marks" on the edge of the bowl.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #37
Platinum Member

True story:

A couple of years ago, I passed through Memphis. I asked a young waitress if it was possible to get downtown by public transit because I didn’t want to bother with parking. She told me very sternly that I should not go downtown alone because there were areas very dangerous but not obviously so. She said I might visit the pedestrian bridge over the Mississippi instead.

I took her advice and headed to the waterfront, but I couldn’t find the entrance to the path. A young African-American man came along and I asked directions. He said he was headed that way. I asked if we could walk together, and he agreed. During our most pleasant walk and conversation, I told him what the waitress had said. He looked at me most seriously and said, "Ma'am, I am so glad you took her advice. Even I would not go there alone."

So yes, keep your wits about you.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:19 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Two years ago we parked in the Bass Pro Shop Pyramid in downtown Memphis and walked all over. Beale Street was our destination and lunch at BB King's along with the Gibson Guitar tour (I think no longer there). It seemed safe during the day or I was just oblivious.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
This has been the traditional advice given since I started RVing about 16 years ago. Of the many women RVers that I have known, none have bothered. LOL (With a class B, storage is at a premium.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
This has been the traditional advice given since I started RVing about 16 years ago. Of the many women RVers that I have known, none have bothered. LOL (With a class B, storage is at a premium.

Yep, but it sure makes for a good story
booster is online now   Reply With Quote