Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Two years ago we parked in the Bass Pro Shop Pyramid in downtown Memphis and walked all over. Beale Street was our destination and lunch at BB King's along with the Gibson Guitar tour (I think no longer there). It seemed safe during the day or I was just oblivious.
Like when we landed in Barcelona and walked around with our packs waiting for the hostel to open. First thing, the hostel owner showed us a map delineating the most dangerous area of the city that we should avoid, which was exactly where we had spent a pleasant afternoon.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:44 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Yeah, I wasn't serious, but if it gives one the confidence to get started, it's easy enough to toss them in the dumpster as one leaves the campground and heads to the next campsite.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #43
Platinum Member

There is no black and white response to this, no “yes it’s safe”, “no it’s not safe”. It depends on temperament, preparation, skill, and there’s also a luck factor.

As a solo middle-aged female vanner, I’ve driven cross-continent 3 times, boondocking in Walmarts, Cracker Barrels, and truck stops 4 to 5 nights continuously each time. I’ve also spent months on the road alone. But I’ve been doing this for years, so I know something about what I’m doing, and I’ve paid a lot of attention to security. There are threads on that topic (security) and I recommend reading them. I’m on my phone right now so it’s not easy for me to link them.

My present boondocking location, photo from my 14-day Instagram quarantine series (username interstate.blog). I’m not solo right now - my husband is with me because on this trip it was easiest for us to travel together given the closure of the Canadian border.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Did you use a Drone to take that image or was it sequestered from somewhere ekse?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #45
bls

Default Yes!

I’ve been traveling solo in my class b for 2.5 years now. Same age. Never had a problem. Boondocked out west a few times. But mostly stick to state or local public campgrounds. Private (e.g., KOA) are usually rather expensive and little privacy from your neighbor. Be aware of your surroundings AND have fun!
bls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #46

Default GuemesGal

I bought my 2013 Roadtrek Agile up in Canada in 2016 with 17,000 kilometers on tI and in great shape, for a great price. The exchange rate is still excellent now as well. I am now 70 and have been travelIng and camping with my small dog For almost 4 years,.
during parts of the year. I mostly have stayed in State parks, Natl Parks, on BLM land or on the rare occasion, in an RV park. I have disbursed camped in certain areas that feel safe. I have never had any issues with theft or harassment. I do recommend you get a satellite phone for when you won’t have a cell signal. Then you can message your exact map location to a friend or family member.It should also have an “SOS” button should you need help.
Go for it! You won’t regret it if you love the outdoors, hiking and seeing beautiful, hidden treasures all over the county!
Good Luck!!
lgiles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #47
Silver Member

If your super worried about the rig being stolen i believe you can get a device that can shut down the engine from anywhere with your phone. That way if the worst happened at least you'd know where to find it & that it wasn't going anywhere! Not to helpful for your contents but at least you'd still have your rig
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #48
Gold Member

My wife and I have run into many singles while RVing in State parks, forestry sites and private RV parks. Many are quite sociable, likely because their dogs are not always the best conversationalists! There have already been many good comments on security. As a newbie, I suggest you also focus on the mechanical side of Rving to make sure you are comfortable. I know plenty of people, both men and women, who struggle with such things. The romanticism of camping is quickly lost when your pooper is full and you can’t figure out how to dump. Some things to pay attention to while looking at units.
1/ Electrical. “Shore power”. What is the basic hookup (usually 30 amp on a B) and make sure you have an adapter for 15 amp outlet. How to start generator if so equipped. Coach batteries, where are they and how to access especially if they need a water refill. Other electric devices if equipped, converter vs inverter, solar power controller, etc.
2/ Water - how to use on-board water with pump vs city water connection with pressure reducer To avoid blowing up your Rv plumbing. Size of on-board tank.
3/. Sewer - black water vs grey water tanks and how to empty. Conventional dump with 3” hose, vs macerator system through 1” hose. Compare Size of both tanks between units you’re viewing.
4/ Appliances - how to start fridge, stove, water pump, water heater, furnace, etc. Many are now “flip a switch” but used units may have a pilot light.
5/ location of all connections above and fuel fill, and propane fill.

Once you buy, If you do get out on a shakedown trip, and run into a problem, campers are usually very helpful. Don’t hesitate to approach your neighbours to ask for advice or help. Many of the systems are similar between trailers, campers, and motor homes (A,B, B+, C) though the B usually has the more compact version of the big guys.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #49

Hi Vee and Zeek,

I'm relatively new too and if you like we can exchange info tips as you go along. I got a Roadtrek 210 and haven't had much time yet to explore but I'm trying to learn so as I have time to go I know a bit more! I too have been concerned about safety; however, want to explore and go!
Jbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #50

Go to the Facebook group page Travato owners and wannabes. There are numerous single women who travel full time on there. They sometimes travel together. You don’t have to buy a Travato to join, learn and make friends
KcSpikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #51

We purchased a used RT with MB chassis in 2008 had one problem since, i change oil and filters it is easy we now have 65,000 miles and looking to take another 6 month trip west of Mississippi next year, we had no problems with crime, good luck, do it.
karon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #52
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls View Post
I’ve been traveling solo in my class b for 2.5 years now. Same age. Never had a problem. Boondocked out west a few times. But mostly stick to state or local public campgrounds. Private (e.g., KOA) are usually rather expensive and little privacy from your neighbor. Be aware of your surroundings AND have fun!
Thanks! Good to know! Do state/local public campgrounds have hook-ups? Or do you use generator/solar for power in those campgrounds?
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #53

Default Infohound

I would get the lifetime senior pass. Then you get in National Parks free, Federal campgrounds and Corps of Engineer campgrounds for half price. I highly recommend the Corps of Engineer Campgrounds. Most have hosts, showers, water and electric and dumps. Very nice and well kept.You need to be 62 to get the pass. It’s called the America the Beautiful pass. Also, check out Boondockers Welcome. You park on private land or in driveways. HAPPY TRAILS!
Infohound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #54
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
I am a newbie, newly retired and looking to buy a Class B for both camping (mostly at National Forests and private campgrounds) and for road trips. I am single, petite, in my early 60s. I do have a medium sized dog but he is not young. I am wondering if I would be a target for theft or break-in, especially if my rig was "nice." My preference is to buy something used but it needs to be mechanically sound since I am not a DIY-er when it comes to fixing things. So that probably means a newer vehicle. How common is theft or break in with these nice Class B RVs? (I highly doubt I will boondock alone. Just don't feel comfortable).
We have travel in a lot of State camp grounds and some private RV parks without and issues. I agree with everyone that you need to use common sense. Buying locks and devices to keep you safe is recommended. Walmart sells these things.
I do take other items, but best to just lock up and get a dash cam.

Take care and safe travels. I find that older people are more helpful in situations. We were in an RV and folks gave us water and offered food. We bought them desert and wine. Parks in general are safe, and as I say only things bad happen in the dar.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #55
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocland View Post
Bear spray is legal to possess in the US (including California). However, how you use it is up to the state self defense laws and, more importantly, the local district attorney.
I agree.

Any force used in self defense is subject to the law and a “reasonable test” to be determined by the DA and perhaps a jury.

I always liked the saying “I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six”.

Know the law, be reasonable, and keep yourself safe primarily by avoiding or de-escalating situations.

At my home, I had a US Marine Corps welcome mat (I was never in the service). You could add a similar sticker or two to your rig as a possible deterrent.

Also, here is a youtube video of a solo female traveler that discusses her deterrents and weapons.

https://youtu.be/LyMnIwcMDBM
Old 08-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #56
Platinum Member

I have had a Class B for 11 years and have boondocked & stayed in National Campgrounds for a long time. I drove across the US and back and also Canada. Never had any trouble and in fact had people offer to help when I locked myself out with the dog inside. That was in Canada. Maybe a motion light on the outside? Carry pepper spray and know how to use it. But mostly enjoy yourself. it's pretty safe out there.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
I am a newbie, newly retired and looking to buy a Class B for both camping (mostly at National Forests and private campgrounds) and for road trips. I am single, petite, in my early 60s. I do have a medium sized dog but he is not young. I am wondering if I would be a target for theft or break-in, especially if my rig was "nice." My preference is to buy something used but it needs to be mechanically sound since I am not a DIY-er when it comes to fixing things. So that probably means a newer vehicle. How common is theft or break in with these nice Class B RVs? (I highly doubt I will boondock alone. Just don't feel comfortable).
As a retired Marine/FBI Agent/now Security - Safety Consultant/Professor, I believe that security - safety (crime & natural disasters etc) for all of us requires situational awareness and preparation, including use of reasonable digital & physical security measures and a bit of luck. Some places are more dangerous than others for sure. Good luck. Enjoy.
Scottnelson@srmg-link.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macodiva View Post
If your super worried about the rig being stolen i believe you can get a device that can shut down the engine from anywhere with your phone. That way if the worst happened at least you'd know where to find it & that it wasn't going anywhere! Not to helpful for your contents but at least you'd still have your rig
Promaster, and I assume Transits and newer Mercedes, cannot be driven without the fob in close proximity of the ignition switch. Keep your fob in your pocket and your vehicle will go nowhere unless something happens to you first.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:18 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Did you use a Drone to take that image or was it sequestered from somewhere ekse?
Drone. My husband pilots it. I can’t bear to touch the thing. I’m too afraid I’ll crash it. Stress.

Next year I want a small telescope also. Binoculars are too hard to stabilize at high magnification. I’m almost sure I saw a coywolf swimming across the other side of the lake.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:35 AM   #60
Bronze Member

I would like to share my experience buying a Class B Camper…

My husband and I always camped during the 40 years that we were together. He was an excellent mechanic and super handy. He could fix anything. Now, here I was a widow with a Hallmark pop-up camper on the back of a F250 Diesel truck. The camper was a pain to put up and take down. I was on my own and looking for a better option. I saw my friend’s Pleasure Way Class B and that was it! I was on a mission. No problem!!!

Things to consider:

First on the list for me was budget. The newer Class Bs are VERY expensive! They were totally out of my league and I have no problem with buying an older vehicle.

Second was mileage. By the way, an “older” vehicle with “low” miles is not necessarily a good thing.

Third, was bells and whistles. If you aren’t going to boondock very much, do you really need that fancy solar system? When I boondock for a period of time, I am very conscious of my battery usage and tend to use solar or battery powered lanterns. Also, all of my light fixures now have LED bulbs. I do have a generator so that I can use my microwave or Nespresso Espresso maker. I can monitor the house batteries on the panel that also shows the status of the fresh water, grey water, and black water tanks. Also, don't forget, sometimes more "bells and whistles" means "more to go wrong".

Fourth, was storage. My rig has fantastic overall storage. I have noticed that some of the newer rigs, although they look beautiful, have limited space for storing pantry items and cooking pots, plates, glasses, mugs, or limited drawers for eating and cooking utensils and the always handy “junk drawer”. Just something to take into consideration.

So, I was on a quest. I knew what I wanted and needed. I “Googled” the make and model and the years that I was interested in to narrow down my choices. I was usually directed to RV Trader. (To me Craigslist is very dubious.) Low and behold, I found exactly what I was looking for. When I called the owner, he was able to send me additional photos and information. One problem, I am in Colorado and it was in Chandler, Arizona. As it turns out, a friend of a friend lives there and he is very mechanical and handy. I was able to pay him to go over and look at it and give me a report. (There are people out there that you can hire that provide this service.) Anyway, he said that "it looked very good"! “Great! I’ll buy it!” I called my friend and on a “road trip” we went. (She drove my car back.) When I got back, I took my new camper to my mechanic as well as my RV shop to have a few “minor” things taken care of. My RV shop removed the “newer” refrigerator from my old camper and installed it in the new camper. I am very glad that I did that. I also removed the coffee maker to make room for more storage.
So, all in all, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Pleasure Way. No regrets!!!

So, what did I get???

I got a 2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD with 92,000 miles. I bought it 5 years ago and it now has almost 108,000 miles. I get about 14 MPG. Everything works! I paid less that $19,000. (Mind you, this was 5 years ago.) One of the previous owners had removed the icky carpet and installed wood floors which looked nice but I just had them replaced with NovaCore flooring which looks even nicer. I also just replaced the kitchen faucet and the microwave.

What is on my list of items that are important to me?

A good refrigerator. 2 burner stove, microwave. Fantastic Fan, air conditioner, generator, water heater, good storage, awning (which I actually do not use very much because I am usually camping at a windy place but I think it is good for resale). I also have a flat screen TV and DVD player. (If I am boondocking, I don’t miss the TV or movies. I just read more.)

Sorry for the long winded post.

Oh, also no worries when I camp. I have always felt "safe".

Nancy
2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD
Beautiful Colorado
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote