Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #61

I just down sized to a class B so I could get out more as a solo camper. I have thought about the same concern and I think the best way to stay safe is planning and situational awareness. I watch the YouTube channels of other solo women for ideas. I also joined an RV club so I can occasionally be part of a group. One of the videos I liked wad this:
https://youtu.be/HJHOakgm5EI
PRKThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #62

You go girl. I'm nearly 80 and loving my 1997 Roadtrek 190 (new to me in Oct 201. My first trip alone from Scarborough ON Canada, 6 months in the US, Texas Florida and home, was the best gift I've ever given myself. From experience I know that if I want it and see myself doing it with a joyful peaceful attitude that is my experience. No fear, no doubts, just love and happiness. Just do it!
Sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #63
Platinum Member

After 48 States and 50k miles since retirement 4 years ago, my wife and I only had 1 issue. We were camping at a State park along the Oregon coast, and when we left for sightseeing one early morning, we left behind our water hose and filter and a chair to mark our site. When we returned, everything was gone. First time in 60 years of camping that this ever happened. Our campground host told us that they have quite a few transients that come into the park (there was no ranger station, gate or other deterrent to enter the park) and you picked your own site and deposited money into a lock box. Host stated that thefts were not uncommon there. Transients would come in, use the bath houses and sleep in their vehicles for a few hours. They all left early before the rangers made their rounds, so we were told.

Don't mean to offend anyone in Oregon; but, I'll never stay in another Oregon State Park campground, especially off season.

If you do run into a problem while camping; don't be afraid to ask your neighbors for help (especially us older folks). Chances are that we have experienced the same issue at one time and have a solution. There is no shortage of "experts" among the camping community and all are willing to help.

We usually stay at KOAs and Good Sam parks because of security and generally clean facilities.

Take the previous advice of always arriving at your site during daylight hours.

The only other piece of advice that I can offer, that I did not see mentioned, is always check your GPS route against Rand McNally (or other map). Our Garmin (with current maps installed) has tried to lead us down dirt roads, through fences, and accessing interstates without entrance ramps. In Maine, our GPS told us to turn on a certain road and as we slowed to make the turn, there was a big sign posted that read, " I don't care what your GPS said, don't turn here!"

And lastly, don't rely on cell phone coverage (which is why you should have a stand alone GPS (IMO)). Tell your family members that you may be out of touch for days at a time or use email to communicate.

Yes, it is safe, and fun. You'll meet some of the nicest folks out camping.

We always have bear spray in our van, since we hike alot. If you don't plan on hiking in bear country; keep a can of foaming Wasp spray handy in your camper. I heard it is effective as pepper spray and it's legal.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:01 PM   #64

Although neither single nor a female I would offer the following (which may be a duplicate of other posts). As an aside I have been been an outdoorsman for over fifty years.
•First, congratulations on achieving this milestone in life. Not all of us live to see 60+ nor have the opportunity to travel, by whatever means.
• Having achieved the above I suspect your ability (call it spidey-sense) to avoid certain situations has been honed to prevent being in undesirable situations. Don’t ignore your gut.
• Start out in safe places and build up to boondocking. State parks, private campsites KOAs, etc) will allow you to develop the DIY mentality of camping and while learning your new to you coach’s idiosyncrasies.
• Never choose a site whose distance from your starting point has you arriving in the dark. Even if youve been there before. Time changes things as we all know.
• Always ( try to) have a back up location (choice B) if you are traveling without reservations at choice A.
• It is rare to have a vehicle stolen. More likely is vandalism. Although hiding things or locking things in a safe is a good idea, remember to turn off the Bluetooth features of portable devices like laptops, cell phones, etc before locking them up. The bad guys have gotten smart with using apps that allow them to find technology using the Bluetooth signal. They won’t know it’s locked away until after they break a window, etc to get into the rig. Better to not let them know there’s anything there at all.
• Self defense is a matter of personal comfort. Be it sprays, weapons, etc. If you are not comfortable with the idea it is likely not to be deployed. Choose something that you become confident and proficient in with its application.
• A USMC, Army, etc bumper sticker is a great idea 😉
• I have met many who are traveling solo. I can’t recall any who said they would change anything about their lifestyle.
• Always keep the vehicles keys on your body or within easy reach. The panic button is a great feature not to be discounted. Be it people or critters. On that matter make sure your vehicle has a legitimate horn ( not some “beep-beep” euro version. You want a “honk-honk”!!!’)
• Lastly, some mentioned a Sat phone. They are expensive. An alternate is something like the Garmin Inreach or Spot satellite tracker and messenger. Reasonable purchase and subscription fees. Any of the online super stores should offer them.
Depending on your budget a cellphone booster is also a great piece of technology.

Best of luck with your decision and happy trails. We look forward to reading about your future exploits on the road!
Texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #65
Silver Member

Hi Vee and Zeekie,

I mostly spend my time on the road alone and my wife stays at home base but I have run into quite a few female solo RV'ers. I would suggest first of all to join a group of women-only RV'ers. You probably can get in touch with groups like this through the "Cheap RV Living" YouTube channel of Bob Wells.

A trick I see female solo RV'ers use a lot is that they have a large pair of men's boots at the bottom of the steps of their RV. Additionally, whether you are a gun gal or not, an NRA sticker or two should also help. There are also motion-activated barking dog sounds.

I'm not a gun guy myself, but I do carry bear spray at all times. (If it can stop a bear, chances are it can temporarily disable a human.) I have never had to use it, but I have it at the ready if I think I might need it. Some pointers with the bear spray: Make sure you know where the nozzle is pointed. Do Not spray it into the wind. Do Not spray it inside your van.

Ray B.
2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TD
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #66
Platinum Member

The only "weapon" I carry is a glass window breaker with the pointed tip in my driver side door well. I figure it has double duty because it could do considerable damage to a human as well as glass. I have a hatchet too but that is not very accessible in an emergency.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:13 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
We love National Forest campgrounds and find that the "campground hosts" tend to be the same folks year after year. In all of our years of camping we have had no problems. One great thing about a B is you can be a hundred miles away from a place in less than two hours. The comments Michael made about tent campers are spot on...........they are the most vulnerable ones if there are bad people about.

I always sleep with my vehicle key accessible from bed. I figure if I had someone try to break in, I would hit the panic button on the fob and sound the horn alarm. The next level of personal protection we carry is more significant: bear spray. The third level you can guess.

I have never had anything taken from a campground when we were gone hiking or exploring in the Roadtrek. Of course it can happen, but we have never experienced it.

I agree with the other posts about National and State parks as well as National Forest parks. We only stay in commercial campgrounds on an "only choice in the area" situation. Just us and our preferences.

I could not begin to tell you how many gals we have met over the last three decades traveling by themselves staying in tents, Bs and Cs. It is pretty common where we travel and, candidly, I think you will find if you are there a few days and meet your neighbors you will find they will watch out for you. We do.

I don't think you would find one bit of difference in susceptibility of break ins or anything else based on age of the B.

By the way, we camped for years in a National Forest campground in Colorado and got to know a lady that pulled a small trailer up there in the mountain every year from her home 900 miles away. She was in her late 80s when her kids finally convinced her "it was time" to quit. Yep, she was perfectly comfortable pulling that trailer up there behind her pickup by herself. Every one in the campground loved her and the campground hosts watched over her like a hawk. We all did.
The keys are a great idea...
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:24 AM   #68
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
At my home, I had a US Marine Corps welcome mat (I was never in the service). You could add a similar sticker or two to your rig as a possible deterrent.

Also, here is a youtube video of a solo female traveler that discusses her deterrents and weapons.

https://youtu.be/LyMnIwcMDBM
Thank you for the tips. I think the link to the video isn't the right link? At least I did not see a solo female traveler discussing anything in it!
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:30 AM   #69
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
After 48 States and 50k miles since retirement 4 years ago, my wife and I only had 1 issue. We were camping at a State park along the Oregon coast, and when we left for sightseeing one early morning, we left behind our water hose and filter and a chair to mark our site. When we returned, everything was gone. First time in 60 years of camping that this ever happened. Our campground host told us that they have quite a few transients that come into the park (there was no ranger station, gate or other deterrent to enter the park) and you picked your own site and deposited money into a lock box. Host stated that thefts were not uncommon there. Transients would come in, use the bath houses and sleep in their vehicles for a few hours. They all left early before the rangers made their rounds, so we were told.

Don't mean to offend anyone in Oregon; but, I'll never stay in another Oregon State Park campground, especially off season.

If you do run into a problem while camping; don't be afraid to ask your neighbors for help (especially us older folks). Chances are that we have experienced the same issue at one time and have a solution. There is no shortage of "experts" among the camping community and all are willing to help.

We usually stay at KOAs and Good Sam parks because of security and generally clean facilities.

Take the previous advice of always arriving at your site during daylight hours.

The only other piece of advice that I can offer, that I did not see mentioned, is always check your GPS route against Rand McNally (or other map). Our Garmin (with current maps installed) has tried to lead us down dirt roads, through fences, and accessing interstates without entrance ramps. In Maine, our GPS told us to turn on a certain road and as we slowed to make the turn, there was a big sign posted that read, " I don't care what your GPS said, don't turn here!"

And lastly, don't rely on cell phone coverage (which is why you should have a stand alone GPS (IMO)). Tell your family members that you may be out of touch for days at a time or use email to communicate.

Yes, it is safe, and fun. You'll meet some of the nicest folks out camping.

We always have bear spray in our van, since we hike alot. If you don't plan on hiking in bear country; keep a can of foaming Wasp spray handy in your camper. I heard it is effective as pepper spray and it's legal.
Good tips here! Thank you! I have wondered how one saves their camp site if one is using their Class B to get to a trailhead or go to the store. Do you just leave some stuff out, hoping no one takes it? What are some good things to leave out? I know you said theft is rare, but I still wondered about this.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:33 AM   #70
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasnielsen View Post
Although neither single nor a female I would offer the following (which may be a duplicate of other posts). As an aside I have been been an outdoorsman for over fifty years.
•First, congratulations on achieving this milestone in life. Not all of us live to see 60+ nor have the opportunity to travel, by whatever means.
• Having achieved the above I suspect your ability (call it spidey-sense) to avoid certain situations has been honed to prevent being in undesirable situations. Don’t ignore your gut.
• Start out in safe places and build up to boondocking. State parks, private campsites KOAs, etc) will allow you to develop the DIY mentality of camping and while learning your new to you coach’s idiosyncrasies.
• Never choose a site whose distance from your starting point has you arriving in the dark. Even if youve been there before. Time changes things as we all know.
• Always ( try to) have a back up location (choice B) if you are traveling without reservations at choice A.
• It is rare to have a vehicle stolen. More likely is vandalism. Although hiding things or locking things in a safe is a good idea, remember to turn off the Bluetooth features of portable devices like laptops, cell phones, etc before locking them up. The bad guys have gotten smart with using apps that allow them to find technology using the Bluetooth signal. They won’t know it’s locked away until after they break a window, etc to get into the rig. Better to not let them know there’s anything there at all.
• Self defense is a matter of personal comfort. Be it sprays, weapons, etc. If you are not comfortable with the idea it is likely not to be deployed. Choose something that you become confident and proficient in with its application.
• A USMC, Army, etc bumper sticker is a great idea 😉
• I have met many who are traveling solo. I can’t recall any who said they would change anything about their lifestyle.
• Always keep the vehicles keys on your body or within easy reach. The panic button is a great feature not to be discounted. Be it people or critters. On that matter make sure your vehicle has a legitimate horn ( not some “beep-beep” euro version. You want a “honk-honk”!!!’)
• Lastly, some mentioned a Sat phone. They are expensive. An alternate is something like the Garmin Inreach or Spot satellite tracker and messenger. Reasonable purchase and subscription fees. Any of the online super stores should offer them.
Depending on your budget a cellphone booster is also a great piece of technology.

Best of luck with your decision and happy trails. We look forward to reading about your future exploits on the road!
Thank you for the tips! I would not have thought of turning off Bluetooth in my devices (I will have my laptop and my iPad in my rig, hopefully in a safe).

I have never heard of a SAT phone. Will have to Google it.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:35 AM   #71
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The only "weapon" I carry is a glass window breaker with the pointed tip in my driver side door well. I figure it has double duty because it could do considerable damage to a human as well as glass. I have a hatchet too but that is not very accessible in an emergency.
In what situations would a glass window breaker be used? The only one I can think of is to rescue a dog from a hot car.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:39 AM   #72
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgiles2 View Post
I bought my 2013 Roadtrek Agile up in Canada in 2016 with 17,000 kilometers on tI and in great shape, for a great price. The exchange rate is still excellent now as well. I am now 70 and have been travelIng and camping with my small dog For almost 4 years,.
during parts of the year. I mostly have stayed in State parks, Natl Parks, on BLM land or on the rare occasion, in an RV park. I have disbursed camped in certain areas that feel safe. I have never had any issues with theft or harassment. I do recommend you get a satellite phone for when you won’t have a cell signal. Then you can message your exact map location to a friend or family member.It should also have an “SOS” button should you need help.
Go for it! You won’t regret it if you love the outdoors, hiking and seeing beautiful, hidden treasures all over the county!
Good Luck!!
Someone else mentioned a SAT phone and I did not know what he meant. Thank you for spelling out the word! I am inspired by the responses of older solo females such as you!
Old 08-26-2020, 04:40 AM   #73
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macodiva View Post
If your super worried about the rig being stolen i believe you can get a device that can shut down the engine from anywhere with your phone. That way if the worst happened at least you'd know where to find it & that it wasn't going anywhere! Not to helpful for your contents but at least you'd still have your rig
Wow! I have not heard of that!
Old 08-26-2020, 04:44 AM   #74
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertiboo View Post
My wife and I have run into many singles while RVing in State parks, forestry sites and private RV parks. Many are quite sociable, likely because their dogs are not always the best conversationalists! There have already been many good comments on security. As a newbie, I suggest you also focus on the mechanical side of Rving to make sure you are comfortable. I know plenty of people, both men and women, who struggle with such things. The romanticism of camping is quickly lost when your pooper is full and you can’t figure out how to dump. Some things to pay attention to while looking at units.
1/ Electrical. “Shore power”. What is the basic hookup (usually 30 amp on a B) and make sure you have an adapter for 15 amp outlet. How to start generator if so equipped. Coach batteries, where are they and how to access especially if they need a water refill. Other electric devices if equipped, converter vs inverter, solar power controller, etc.
2/ Water - how to use on-board water with pump vs city water connection with pressure reducer To avoid blowing up your Rv plumbing. Size of on-board tank.
3/. Sewer - black water vs grey water tanks and how to empty. Conventional dump with 3” hose, vs macerator system through 1” hose. Compare Size of both tanks between units you’re viewing.
4/ Appliances - how to start fridge, stove, water pump, water heater, furnace, etc. Many are now “flip a switch” but used units may have a pilot light.
5/ location of all connections above and fuel fill, and propane fill.

Once you buy, If you do get out on a shakedown trip, and run into a problem, campers are usually very helpful. Don’t hesitate to approach your neighbours to ask for advice or help. Many of the systems are similar between trailers, campers, and motor homes (A,B, B+, C) though the B usually has the more compact version of the big guys.
Wow, so much to learn! I am thinking of taking this online course: https://www.escapees.com/education/r...ty/curriculum/

By the way, I think my dog is an excellent conversationalist in his own way!
Old 08-26-2020, 04:48 AM   #75
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife View Post
We have travel in a lot of State camp grounds and some private RV parks without and issues. I agree with everyone that you need to use common sense. Buying locks and devices to keep you safe is recommended. Walmart sells these things.
I do take other items, but best to just lock up and get a dash cam.

Take care and safe travels. I find that older people are more helpful in situations. We were in an RV and folks gave us water and offered food. We bought them desert and wine. Parks in general are safe, and as I say only things bad happen in the dar.
Can you explain more about the dash cam? A camera you put on your dashboard in order to capture images of vandals? Or ???
Old 08-26-2020, 04:50 AM   #76
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
Thank you for the tips. I think the link to the video isn't the right link? At least I did not see a solo female traveler discussing anything in it!
Oops. I somehow linked to an ad on youtube!

Try this link instead (I actually tested this one!).

Old 08-26-2020, 04:52 AM   #77
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
Oops. I somehow linked to an ad on youtube!

Try this link instead (I actually tested this one!).

Thank you. That is it. Another person in this thread also shared it.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:31 AM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good tips here! Thank you! I have wondered how one saves their camp site if one is using their Class B to get to a trailhead or go to the store. Do you just leave some stuff out, hoping no one takes it? What are some good things to leave out? I know you said theft is rare, but I still wondered about this.
A one gallon milk jug, bleach bottle or ?? filled with water with"Occupied" written on it in big letters and placed in the driveway of the campsite can work. Nothing of value can "disappear" using this method.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:04 AM   #79
Platinum Member

As for Dashcam Cameras, I highly recommend www.blackboxmycar.com.

Tell them the Doctor sent you.

[I]The money invested will pay for itself in Insurance premiums alone- if you are not the driver at fault - worth every penny & with the cloud you can see your rig anera views whether you are in Haiti, Home or inside your Rig.
[/I]

They are up in Canada & they now have an integrated unit that has its own wifi etc & two cameras, one front & one in back - so you can find your car with its GPS tracker anywhere you are in the world & view the Cameras without being hooked up to your wifi.

Plus the Cloud. Etc.

They have really come down in price, you need a battery so you can have 18-24-36 hour parked recording, etc.

Its called the 750 2 Channel but they know everything - thier customer service is superb & more than anything, they bundle everything together into great packages.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
In what situations would a glass window breaker be used? The only one I can think of is to rescue a dog from a hot car.
The window breaker resides in the van if you get trapped where you can't open the door in case of flooding or accidents. That probably is a rare need. I suppose a small child could be coaxed to use it but strangers would not know or think to know it was there and take action outside the van instead. You would hardly rescue a dog from the outside unless the dog knows how to use it.

I just owned it and don't even remember how I came by it but thought, why not? I probably inherited from my dad's tools. It would not carry suspicion from authorities such as guns and bear spray. It is small, but lethal and handy so why not carry it?

Amazon carries a lot of them so someone must think they are needed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote