Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

Default Issues re Full-timing in the RV

I'm getting ready to retire from teaching photography and one of my options is to chuck it all and hit the road full time -- traveling, writing, making images, etc. With the Internet that work now becomes possible. But that brings up a logistical question I've not heard addressed in any depth. If one becomes a true Nomad, how do you deal with the such issues as vehicle registration or drivers licensing or things that require a real address?

On previous treks I've gotten mail via general delivery even through Yukon and Alaska but always had a "home" where everything was registered. Is it possible in these modern times to actually become a true nomad and not run afoul of residency laws somewhere?

Thanks,

David
ndavidking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You could buy a piece of land in your home state/province. That would provide you with a permanent address and tax bills to show residency. Some places require you to live there for a minimum number of months per year.

As for mail, you can use a number of services that will forward it for you.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
Bronze Member

There are several states that make things easier for you regarding full-time. The Escapees are based in Texas. Check out their website for info on full-timing. Other states to consider are North Dakota, Nevada, and Florida. All have several mail forwarding services that also act as your address. For loads of info about full-timing also check out Bob Well's cheaprvliving.com blog as well as his youtube channel. I don't full-time (yet) but hope to in a few years.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #4
Platinum Member

IRV2 forum has a whole thread on full timing and issues related to addresses and such. If I make it to full timing, I’m keeping an address in my home state. Life is too short to not love where you lived, worked and thrived.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavidking View Post
If one becomes a true Nomad, how do you deal with the such issues as vehicle registration or drivers licensing or things that require a real address?

On previous treks I've gotten mail via general delivery even through Yukon and Alaska but always had a "home" where everything was registered. Is it possible in these modern times to actually become a true nomad and not run afoul of residency laws somewhere?

Thanks,

David
I'm also planning on living full time in my Roadtrek once I retire in 3 years. So, I've been doing as much research as I can since this past summer. I bought 2 books off of Amazon that were written by full-timers. There are 3 states in particular that most people use for their new "full-time" address. South Dakota is the most commonly used, and Texas and Florida are the other 2 states. The mail forwarding services in these states become your permanent address. Those companies will also help you get set up with insurance, driver's license and registration. In South Dakota, you're only required to camp there one or 2 nights to qualify as a resident. I think there are 3 companies in Rapid City and some in another town that the author of one of the books I bought uses.

The 2 books I bought are: Motorhome & RV Retirement Living by Jerry Minchey and Living the RV Lifestyle by Donna Fisher-Jackson.

I think Donna gave a better description of the mail forwarding services and what they provide.

Pam
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
Bronze Member

The mail forwarding services are primarily located in states that have no income tax. If you decide to go a different route like have a friend forward your mail and keep your California address you will be responsible for any income tax they may want to charge you on your retirement income, high license plate renewals etc.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #7
Silver Member

We use our daughter's address in Florida and she is kind enough to scan any mail that isn't junk mail and send it to us.

Perhaps you know someone in a non-income tax state? Texas, South Dakota and Florida seem friendliest to full-timers. Nevada has high vehicle registration fees. If you did know someone in one of these states perhaps they would let you use their residence as your legal home and then use a mail forwarder address for non-legal mail.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Other states to consider are North Dakota, Nevada, and Florida.
That should be South Dakota, not North. People choose South Dakota because they have no income tax and have companies that specialize in helping out full time RVers. (Like Florida and Nevada and Texas)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
<Snip>... and then use a mail forwarder address for non-legal mail.
I agree, always best to run your "non-legal mail" through a third party in case the authorities are on to you.

Tags
full time rving, nomads