Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 03:46 AM   #41

jakegw2 -- did I understand correctly -- the house battery can get a faster charge by driving and running the generator at the same time ? I have an older 97 Pleasure Way with a 80ah house battery and a 2800 generator . Driving for one hour without the gennie only adds 10% to the battery . Some times I'm only doing a 2hour trip and its not enough to charge the battery for a comfortable second night of boondocking
gowason@rogers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowason@rogers.com View Post
jakegw2 -- did I understand correctly -- the house battery can get a faster charge by driving and running the generator at the same time ? I have an older 97 Pleasure Way with a 80ah house battery and a 2800 generator . Driving for one hour without the gennie only adds 10% to the battery . Some times I'm only doing a 2hour trip and its not enough to charge the battery for a comfortable second night of boondocking

I think he was referring to lithium batteries that will accept a of current, often more than either the alternator or generator can provide by themselves, so running both could be a benefit.

On a single lead acid 80ah battery there would be no need for both unless the engine charging is extremely being limited in some way.

In the case of a 1997 you probably have a diode isolator between the engine and the coach power systems and they reduce the voltage to the coach by about .7v. This can really increase your charging times compared to having full voltage. Changing the isolator out for a separator relay style will allow you to get full voltage and charge faster.

Be aware, though, that a two hour drive will not get you much past 85% full even at full voltage because that last 15% takes a long time to do for all lead acid batteries, probably around 4 hours or more to get to 100%.

In reality on short charging times and leaving 20% of battery capacity on the low end to prevent battery damage, the 80ah battery would have about 50-60ah usable, which is probably enough for overnight in a class b with a gas frig for most people.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #43
Platinum Member

An all-electric van offers a lot of simplicity. I fill up the fuel tank and water tank and I'm totally independent and all systems work on switches. Since I tend to drive a bit every day or so I have plenty of power. There's a lot of complexity/technology, and expense, behind the walls but it is an easy way to travel. I used to be a tent camper. But now, on a cold wintery night, I enjoy the luxury of being in a beautiful place and still able to snuggle up in a warm dry bed with a good film on the flatscreen and some popcorn in the microwave. (I remember turning my nose up at those kind of campers, but I guess I am one now.)
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #44
Platinum Member

gowason - That is correct, however it only works with Lithium batteries. A single AGM or lead-acid battery cannot accept all of the available current from the alternator or the charger let alone both together. Lithium batteries can accept extremely high rates of charge with > 99% efficiency.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:25 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowason@rogers.com View Post
Aha!! A fellow 97 PW owner. Except I don't have a genny. I upgraded the 80AH type 24 battery with a 100AH Lifeline type 27. It fits in the battery box if you cut off the "ears" that hold the lift strap. I also have a 100W solar suitcase. When I'm boondocking at the CO river in AZ, the solar tops off the battery every day without driving. We do have the original absorption fridge and all LED lights so our power use is very minimal.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:42 AM   #46
Bronze Member

Hello .. am a new comer 2 this community .. We R looking at class B campers .. have noticed that not all offer lithium batteries .. The ones we R looking at don't have lithium but instead use AGM 12 batteries .. The units we R interested have q 2000 watt inverter and have solar panels(150 watts i believe) .. Will not having lithium batteries B a problem ?
Old 09-23-2020, 01:54 AM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testa-Dura View Post
Hello .. am a new comer 2 this community .. We R looking at class B campers .. have noticed that not all offer lithium batteries .. The ones we R looking at don't have lithium but instead use AGM 12 batteries .. The units we R interested have q 2000 watt inverter and have solar panels(150 watts i believe) .. Will not having lithium batteries B a problem ?
It depends on how you plan to use the van, lots of details on traveling style and power usage would be quite helpful.

Lithiums definitely do not like cold weather so that could be a factor, what with your location in Canada.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 AM   #48
Platinum Member

I agree.

Its all about how you will use your van in the future.

As to the 2000 watt inverter, there are a lot more choices available.

If they are Lifeline AGMs, you have the best on the market but then again, like all Batteries their condition depends on how they have been maintained.

And Lithiums require intelligent care or its a $1000 replacement.

Is there any reason why your focus is on this particular inverter?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #49
Platinum Member

As long as you have shore power to keep a 10a electric resistant heating pad on in an extended storage situation or have ample battery power and drive most days to have a maximum of 240 amp hours of battery power not going to your every day electrical functions and needs, you can have lithium ion batteries everywhere you can stand the cold while underway traveling or using for overnight camping. You won't use all those 240 amp hours in just close to freezing conditions and/or if batteries are inside a conditioned van underway. I've boondocked in minus 15 deg. F. (-26C) overnight and boondocked and traveled seven days with temperatures always below freezing 24/7 day and night.

The more battery amp hour capacity you have the more you need to couple with a second alternator to charge them and the less need for solar as it becomes more of an insignificant part of the equation for battery power replacement and somewhat useless in the low winter sun angles and short days. Then you need a 2,000w plus inverter/charger to take advantage of your battery capacity in running all your electrically powered AC equipment. That is about 500ah of lithium batteries or more and that capacity separates you van from AGMs just for weight and storage space. That's my experience now for 5 Minnesota winters with 800ah of lithium ion batteries, second alternator and 2,800w inverter/charger.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #50
Bronze Member

Hello & ThanX 2 U all for answering my question(s) .. OK here is more info .. As a Chef I intend 2 do what I do in my dwelling in the class B .. IDK if that's realistic .. I will B using the following electric items : Espresso machine .. Rotary mixer .. Culinary robot (those i assume use quite a bit of energy) .. The unit will have a combo microwave/convection oven .. Hoping i can bake my french baguettes in one of those (lol) or will have to adopt a new bread for on the road type application .. As 4 the rest .. All is gas powered (pizza oven / grill etc) .. ThanX U again 4 your help .. Regards (Saluti)