Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2023, 05:33 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default jacking up a Roadtrek

I've seen a couple of posts on this, and I have to stay I'm still confused. I understand that most people say the scissor jack that comes with the van doesn't work. One person suggested getting a four-ton bottle jack, but I tried it and that was so short it didn't even reach the jack point, much less raise it up enough. Also the handle was way too short for it to reach outside from under the van, even with an extension, and I can't see jacking up a van while underneath it!

Some videos show putting the bottle jack on top of a 4x4 piece of wood, but that seems awfully wobbly to me. Do I really have to haul around a heavy hydraulic trolly jack in order to change a flat tire? Any other ideas out there?

I'm assuming the only jack points are the front and back axle areas, as my manual seems to indicate?
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
I've seen a couple of posts on this, and I have to stay I'm still confused. I understand that most people say the scissor jack that comes with the van doesn't work. One person suggested getting a four-ton bottle jack, but I tried it and that was so short it didn't even reach the jack point, much less raise it up enough. Also the handle was way too short for it to reach outside from under the van, even with an extension, and I can't see jacking up a van while underneath it!

Some videos show putting the bottle jack on top of a 4x4 piece of wood, but that seems awfully wobbly to me. Do I really have to haul around a heavy hydraulic trolly jack in order to change a flat tire? Any other ideas out there?

I'm assuming the only jack points are the front and back axle areas, as my manual seems to indicate?
What model year? The jack points changed in 2003. I have a 2002 and the front can be lifted under the main cross member and supported by jack stands under the control arms. The rear is lifted at the diff and supported under the axle tubes. I use a bottle jack with no issues.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:30 PM   #3
Silver Member

This is a 2006. A road assistance guy came over and lifted it with a heavy-duty trolley jack (to replace a flat tire), but even that required several pieces of wood to get it high enough. What size bottle jack do you use? Is there enough room for the handle to stick out from underneath to operate? I found the handle from the bottle jack didn't have enough space between the ground and the bottom of the vehicle to really operate well.
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
This is a 2006. A road assistance guy came over and lifted it with a heavy-duty trolley jack (to replace a flat tire), but even that required several pieces of wood to get it high enough. What size bottle jack do you use? Is there enough room for the handle to stick out from underneath to operate? I found the handle from the bottle jack didn't have enough space between the ground and the bottom of the vehicle to really operate well.

Be aware that as much as I like floor(trolley) jacks, they have a big downside when used as an emergency tire change jack.

The reason is a bit obscure but it does happen fairly often.

I floor jack lift pad moves front to rear along the jack long axis as it lifts. This means that either the van needs to roll to stay above the lift pad or the jack needs to move on the ground. Sounds easy, and is on a concrete floor that is smooth and clean, but try it on a gravel shoulder of the road. The jack will not roll, but common sense says the opposite end wheels should be blocked so can't do that movement either. What happens? If the jack pad move enough and slides of the lift point, the van drops, suddenly, often jamming the jack under the van a possible damaging whatever it hit, like a punctured tank. The other chance is that the jack like beam will be stressed enough to fail and drop the van, same issue. A good bottle jack with a stable and wide stack of lumber is a much better choice in many cases. The handle can be extended so you don't need to go under the van to do it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have changed a flat rear tire in my 2007 RT 210P with the scissor jack provided from the factory. I had no trouble with it at all. In forty years of owning Cs and Bs, that is the first time I had a flat. I do carry a big truck size can of tire inflator for flats just as a precaution.

I would have called the service to have it changed but we were in an area without cell service.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:08 AM   #6
Platinum Member

It needs to be a double ram bottle jack. The one I use is no longer available so no link. For minimum height you need the distance from wheel rim to jack point (flat tire). For maximum extension you need the distance from the ground to the lift point with an inflated tire, plus a little.

Sounds like the one you have will work if you put it on a leveling block or two.

This might do it: http://www.torin-usa.com/bigred/bigr...ttle-jack.html
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:25 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I have changed a flat rear tire in my 2007 RT 210P with the scissor jack provided from the factory. I had no trouble with it at all. In forty years of owning Cs and Bs, that is the first time I had a flat. I do carry a big truck size can of tire inflator for flats just as a precaution.

I would have called the service to have it changed but we were in an area without cell service.
Did same on my 2006 RT 210. Slow but it works fine. Make sure you chock the opposite end wheel and set the parking brake hard to prevent rolling off the jack.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:47 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I just got an Arcan aluminum 3 ton floor jack. It is much easier, quicker, and safer than the bottle jack. It's about 50 lbs but fits well in the "trunk" space in the back of my 99 Dodge RT where I keep the jack stands and tools so I hope to never use my bottle or scissor jack again.

I jack up under the control arms in front and the differential in back and put the jack stands under the axles in back, and, in front, I have just enough space to put them under the frame rails behind the front tires.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:47 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I suspect you are the only one that thinks a 50lb floor jack is a viable option. If it works for you, it works.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:16 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Hmmm, does your bottle jack have a screw extension on top? I carry a couple pieces of 2x10 to use for leveling and if needed to put under jack on soft ground. Never needed to raise jack on my 02C200P Never heard of one but wonder if you have a 4 ton stubby jack? Thought they started at 12 ton??

Mercedes vans have a dual cylinder hydraulic jack if you want to save a few bucks in a junk yard.

https://www.amazon.com/BIG-RED-Doubl...637897231&th=1
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:14 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
I just got an Arcan aluminum 3 ton floor jack. It is much easier, quicker, and safer than the bottle jack. It's about 50 lbs but fits well in the "trunk" space in the back of my 99 Dodge RT

We all just need to carry this 29" x 14", 52 lb floor jack in our Class B's with limited storage on the off chance that we will get a flat tire. That makes perfect sense.

https://arcantools.com/lifting/a20018
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:50 AM   #12
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=jjrbus;146096]Hmmm, does your bottle jack have a screw extension on top? I carry a couple pieces of 2x10 to use for leveling and if needed to put under jack on soft ground. Never needed to raise jack on my 02C200P Never heard of one but wonder if you have a 4 ton stubby jack? Thought they started at 12 ton??

Mercedes vans have a dual cylinder hydraulic jack if you want to save a few bucks in a junk yard.

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/BIG-RED-Double-Welded-ATH80402XR/dp/B09Z37YVHX/ref=asc_df_B09Z37YVHX/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=598239491232&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=17972632224999941487&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqm t=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015137&hv targid=pla-[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is a 4 ton stubby with screw top and double ram. I put it underneath the spring mount at the axle and with a flat tire there is little room left. Never considered putting one underneath the differential. At collapsed height it barely fits but I haven’t done it in several years. The last tire failure I had threw the tread but did not deflate. Measure from the edge of the rim to the axle. It is a pretty small number, between 5 and 6 inches, I think.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:21 AM   #13
Platinum Member

In a different RV I carried a 12 ton stubby. I would drive up on the boards I mentioned to raise it high enough for jack. My Roadtrek is higher so need the taller jack, but I could drive up on board if needed.

4X4 does sound unstable, would want 2X6 minimum.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 10:22 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
We all just need to carry this 29" x 14", 52 lb floor jack in our Class B's with limited storage on the off chance that we will get a flat tire. That makes perfect sense.

https://arcantools.com/lifting/a20018
No need for such an unpleasant/sarcastic tone. It works well for me because I travel by myself so I have plenty of storage space, it fits well in the trunk space in the back, and I mainly use it for regular maintenance and have nowhere else to store it. If it doesn't work for you that's all good. I only mentioned it because it is an excellent jack for lifting a small Dodge Roadtrek, which can be difficult because many of the jack points are covered by tanks, etc. and, for a three ton floor jack, it is more manageable than most.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:17 PM   #15
Silver Member

I agree with jjrbus and this is the jack I carry and tried it out before, hoping to never have to use it, to make sure it would work on my 06C210p.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-56736.html
Hope that helps.
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:56 PM   #16
Platinum Member

For those that are carrying bottle jacks and have tested them on their van.

Where are you planning to put the jack? I did some measuring on our 07 Roadtrek 190 that sits up 2" higher than a stock Roadtrek and in the front in particular, it appears that the jack would not be able to get under anything at the wheel to do a wheel lift which is much less travel needed compared to a frame lift to change a tire. After I subract the sidewall height the control arm is way to low and even the front cross member is low enough it will barely fit, but even with a double ram would need two lifts to go high enough and would need a jackstand to support between lifts. In the rear the lower spring plate and axle tube are both high enough but will inaccessible from the side of the van, I think, as the skirting will be too close to the ground and tire still on. Coming in from the rear is a long ways to try to get the jack in and stable and would require getting under the van quite a ways, but it will be sitting to low to do that.

I am trying to figure out how it all would work so any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:30 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
For those that are carrying bottle jacks and have tested them on their van.

Where are you planning to put the jack? I did some measuring on our 07 Roadtrek 190 that sits up 2" higher than a stock Roadtrek and in the front in particular, it appears that the jack would not be able to get under anything at the wheel to do a wheel lift which is much less travel needed compared to a frame lift to change a tire. After I subract the sidewall height the control arm is way to low and even the front cross member is low enough it will barely fit, but even with a double ram would need two lifts to go high enough and would need a jackstand to support between lifts. In the rear the lower spring plate and axle tube are both high enough but will inaccessible from the side of the van, I think, as the skirting will be too close to the ground and tire still on. Coming in from the rear is a long ways to try to get the jack in and stable and would require getting under the van quite a ways, but it will be sitting to low to do that.

I am trying to figure out how it all would work so any guidance would be appreciated.
Contrary to previous statements my jack is a 2 ton (not 4 ton) double ram stubby with a minimum height of 5 15/16”. It will fit under the rear axle near the wheel with a flat tire. On the front I think I can make it work on the A arm somewhere but have never had to.

I don’t find anything like it for sale. The case of the retractable measurement tape s 2”.

Drive the flat tire up on a lift block if you have to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6EE9DCA-D1B4-459C-BB36-8854B5E23236.jpg (210.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-30-2023, 10:34 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Contrary to previous statements my jack is a 2 ton (not 4 ton) double ram stubby with a minimum height of 5 15/16”. It will fit under the rear axle near the wheel with a flat tire. On the front I think I can make it work on the A arm somewhere but have never had to.

I don’t find anything like it for sale. The case of the retractable measurement tape s 2”.

Drive the flat tire up on a lift block if you have to.

Yep, there is height there in the rear, but how did you get it in place with the wheel still on and tire flat. Weren't the ground effects almost on the ground?

Did the jack get it up high enough to install an inflated tire back on?
Old 03-30-2023, 10:53 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Yep, there is height there in the rear, but how did you get it in place with the wheel still on and tire flat. Weren't the ground effects almost on the ground?

Did the jack get it up high enough to install an inflated tire back on?
Yes, and it was on pavement. I think driving the flat tire on a lift block would solve all problems. I cannot find the equivalent jack for sale so the lift block or two may be necessary.

Jack slid in from the back.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:07 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I found that jack but it is long out of stock every where so must be discontinued. I have found one at 6.7" to 16.5" but haven't been sure how to place it.

I did run across this, that is pretty interesting if you have an air compressor and a place to store it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BENTISM-3...Red/1068896120